Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Paupers graves

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Thomas

Thomas Report 6 Oct 2008 00:43

Can anyone tell me if there is any way of locating a paupers grave please? My grandad died in 1946 in the Gorbals of Glasgow and we believe he is in a paupers grave.As far as i know paupers graves were not marked or any records kept,is this true?

Hoobity

Hoobity Report 6 Oct 2008 01:04

I still think a record is kept even though the grave is not marked.
Ask at the glasgow cemetary they will put you right.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Oct 2008 01:12

Thomas,

There should still be a record at the cemetary but there will be no headstone. Do be prepared for the chance the grave has been reclaimed or reused. This will mean there would be another body buried in the plot.

Rose

Thomas

Thomas Report 6 Oct 2008 02:05

Is there any internet site i can go on to find the records as i dont even know what cemetary it could be?

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 6 Oct 2008 10:54

Thomas
If he died 1946 in Scotland you can see the image of the death cert on Scotland's People. Scotland certs give you loads of info. You do have to pay and that would cost you 6 credits. You can buy 30 credits for £6 I think.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 6 Oct 2008 14:39

My husbands grandmother died in 1932 and she was in a paupers grave we went to gatekeeper he looked it up and said there won't be a sone but lo and beholdwe found a little stone in place with her name and age at death so here is hoping for you

Margaret

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 6 Oct 2008 18:01

A few of mine are buried in paupers graves, one or two have a head stone, but as Joan says they are buried in a grave with about 10 or 11 others, no relation at all but if you can find a grave number in the registers at a cemetery they are likely to be, you may be in with a chance.

Good luck

Marilyn

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 6 Oct 2008 23:27

A family of mine had children buried in "Board Graves". I naively thought this meant that they had been allocated places by some official Board. It actually meant that there was a big trench covered with wooden boards. If you needed to bury a relative, you simply moved the boards aside and threw the bodies in. No records were kept unless you were lucky. My husband's cousin, now aged about 85, remembers two of his baby brothers being chucked into the board grave in Macclesfield by their distraught father. He recalls his dad trying to revive one of them by warming him in front of the fire, to no avail.

The latest of these was in 1938 - not that long ago!

Aint it sad?

Margaret

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 7 Oct 2008 00:20

My grandmother died in 1956 and was placed in a common grave along with other people whose families couldn't afford burial plots. The cemetary gave my mum a map with the grave marked on it and one day I will visit. (it was my dad's mother)

Margaret your tale is so sad. A friend of ours told us about his grandfather being given the task of burning his stillborn son (one of twins) by the doctor in attendance. No doubt it saved on the Doctors paperwork. This happened in the 1930's