Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Thomas Brearley

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 22 May 2010 11:04

I have John Thomas Brearley age 25 with his wife Lavinia age 27 on the 1891 census living in Halifax Yorkshire England. He is born in Sheffield, she is born in Whitstable in Kent.

Then they dissapear. I cannot find them on the 1901 census or the 1911 census. I cannot find a marriage record or a death record for him. I might have a death record for her, March Quarter 1905 Halifax District vol 9a pg 301 age 43.
I have tried every combination of names and wild cards I can think of and no luck. A second pair of eyes and a new brain would be very much appreciated

Mike

Mary

Mary Report 22 May 2010 11:35

OK my theory.

Your John Thomas 1866 not at home with parents Amos 1841 a stone mason,mum mary 1839 on 1881 censu but there is a John Ar born 1874.

Why would they have 2 Johns as the previous John Thomas was still alive.
John Arthur born J/F/M 1874 Sheffield 9c 430.

Then I found this marriage and I think this is your John Thomas,

James Thomas Brearley married O/N/D 9a 818 in 1888 in Halifax to LAVINIA Rigden.

The name James was sometimes changed to John.

What do you think,could this be possible.

Maryb

Edit 1881 Lavinia Rigden 1864 born Whistable Kent.
Manchester Workhouse on market Street.
Says she is a pauper and Domestic servant.

So we can definately say the marriage info was correct.

2 people on here with Lavinia Rigden.

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 22 May 2010 12:02

Hi Mary

This certainly looks possible, i also have two johns born to Amos and Mary and always thought it a bit odd, definitely a step forward i'd say. Thanks very much for that.

Just tried searching the 1901 and 1911 using James unstead of John, still no luck

Mike

Mary

Mary Report 22 May 2010 12:49

Hi Michael,no I can't find anything on 1901/11.
The death for Lavinia in 1905 seems to be the right one.

Maybe that could give you some more clues,i.e informants and address at time of death.

Maryb

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 22 May 2010 13:50

I have now found Lavinia on the 1871 census living in Whitstable with her family , father Thomas Rigden and mother also Lavinia, but cannot find record of her birth. It's never easy is it

Mary

Mary Report 22 May 2010 14:17

John and Mary christened Thomas Ansell Rigden 25/12/1829 he died 1878 married lavinia Wyatt 20.1.1852 they had lavinia @ 1862/3 but i can't find birth record either.

Maryb

There are trees on Ancestry with Lavinia 1863 but not who she married.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 May 2010 14:26

1901 mad guess time

Name: Lavina Ellison
Estimated birth year: abt 1862
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: Charles
Where born: Whitesttable On Lee, Kent, England

Civil parish: Halifax
Ecclesiastical parish: Halifax St Paul
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Halifax
Sub-registration district: Halifax
ED, institution, or vessel: 61
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 136
Household Members: Name Age
Charles Ellison 39
Lavina Ellison 39
Albert E Ellison 14

Charles and Albert are on 1891 census but wife is Eliza D born 1867 Halifax - think it could be Eliza A on image. Might match a marriage in 1885 in Halifax

Did John and Lavinia split up ?

Mary

Mary Report 22 May 2010 14:28

Did Lavinia marry a Ellison,as I think she died 1905 as Lavinia brearley.

Maryb

Is this charles 1911

Charles Ellinson 1862 a carter born halifax says married not widowed but married 20 years 2 children born one died
Adopted daughter Ruby Ellison born leeds 1902??

No wife wtih him just various lodgers etc plus a servant.
Address says 9,Mottrams Yard halifax but when you view original in says 16,Square Road Halifax.
Number of rooms 9.

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 23 May 2010 14:06

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. Even if I cann't find them on the cenus yet at least I've made some progress

thanks again
Mike

Mark

Mark Report 13 Jun 2012 14:51

eliza d is charles's second wife and her maiden surname is gath.lavinia was charles's first wife.the brearley family married into the ellison family john thomas ellison married jane brearley of the top of my head in about 1842/1844.john thomas's son was joseph ogden ellison who i am related to.charles in the post was joseph ogden's brother.don't know if it's same family but the people i mentioned were all from halifax west yorkshire.

mark.

Mark

Mark Report 16 Jun 2012 07:52

found my details regarding my family now and if it does relate to charles family then can provide you with more information. john thomas ellison was born on 25 december 1824 in halifax.charles harry/henry ellison was born on 22nd june 1862 in halifax and died on 27th january 1932 in halifax and john thomas ellison died on 2nd april 1872 in halifax where there was an inquest. jane brearley died in 1894 in halifax. think i have jane's marriage information somewhere and will show father.also think have details for charles marriage to eliza somewhere.
hope this helps.

m.

patchem

patchem Report 16 Jun 2012 08:02

Mark,
As this is more than 2 years old then Mike may not be expecting any answers.
You could click on his name to send him a message via genes.

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 16 Jun 2012 09:53

Just signed in and spotted this, thanks for the information Mark .
It may take me a while to check out the info as I haven't looked at the Brearleys for a while,

Thanks again

Mike

Mark

Mark Report 6 Oct 2012 12:12

the Lavinia Rigden Marriage in Halifax in October November December 1888 Volume Number 9a Page 818 is for Lavinia and James Thomas Brearley. If you send me your e-mail address have the actual Marriage record which i can send to you.

Mark.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Oct 2012 12:59

Mark, you'll get a quicker response by clicking on OldYorkshireBloke's name and sending a private message that way - he'll receive an email from Genes saying he has a message, whereas he won't be notified of your post on here (even if he's marked it as a watched thread it doesn't always work).

Also, you can bow attach the record to your message so you don't need his email address.