Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dunrobin Castle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracy in Hants(45831)

Tracy in Hants(45831) Report 28 Jun 2005 16:39

Does anyone know of or live near Dunrobin Castle in Scotland? I believe my nan worked there for the Duke of Sutherland in the 1920/30's. I contacted the castle direct for any records they advised me to go the the National Library of Scotland who advised me to go direct to the castle - I am going round in circles. I would be grateful for any advice. Kind regards Tracy

Jan

Jan Report 28 Jun 2005 18:11

Nudge for Tracy

Tracy in Hants(45831)

Tracy in Hants(45831) Report 28 Jun 2005 18:34

Thanks Jan

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 28 Jun 2005 21:16

Hi Tracy At least Dunrobin replied to you. I Have the same situation with a great aunt who was a lady's maid at Braemar Castle in the early 1900's. I've written to them twice and no replies...it's very frustrating good luck, Sylvia

Christine

Christine Report 29 Jun 2005 01:25

Tracy, Give the Mitchell Library in Glasgow a shot. They might be able to point you in the right direction. They are at: Strathclyde Area Genealogy Centre, 22 Park Circus, GLASGOW G3 6BE 0141 287 8364 Good Luck, Christine.

Tracy in Hants(45831)

Tracy in Hants(45831) Report 29 Jun 2005 18:08

Good luck too Sylvia. Thanks Christine I will give them a try.

Tracy in Hants(45831)

Tracy in Hants(45831) Report 12 Mar 2006 13:40

Thanks everyone for their help in my research. I have not got any further. All help and advice gratefully received. Tracy x

Jane in the Highlands

Jane in the Highlands Report 12 Mar 2006 15:24

Highland Council Archives in Inverness might be able to help. 01463 220330 archives 'at' highland(.)gov(.)uk Jane

Janet

Janet Report 12 Mar 2006 15:38

My sister lives not far from Dunrobin Castle but only goes there when she has guests going up. If you let me have any information I can pass it on to her but don't know when she will be able to get there.

Tracy in Hants(45831)

Tracy in Hants(45831) Report 12 Mar 2006 16:11

Thank you everyone. Jane - I will try that web site. Janet - I am just trying to establish whether there are any records of employees i guess in the 1920's and early 30's. I know they are kept in the National Library of Scotland until 1920 but they suggested the castle keeps them after this date - they just referred me to the library!!! Any help greatly appreciated. Tracy

Eileen

Eileen Report 12 Mar 2006 19:41

I live on the other side of Scotland, but have been to Dunrobin a few years ago.. It is very impressive but also you could see it was a loved family home. The guides are very knowledgeable, it would be worth trying to speak to one of them direct. It would probably help if you had some idea of what your nan did, for example was she a live in member of staff, or did she come in daily. Did she cook, or help look after children of the family, or care for the fabric of the rooms. Or maybe some of her family worked for the castle and that was how she came to work there. If she looked after the children, surely some of them might remember her - obviously they would be getting on in years now. Anything is worth a try.

jumarcat

jumarcat Report 12 Mar 2006 23:21

if you are ever up here in scotland, you should visit. It is the most gorgeous castle. Looks all Fairy Tale with towers and stuff. There is a garden museum which has all the dead things shot by the victorians when they went on the grand tour etc. They have bird of prey shows, and there is the most lovely owl called PLOP! Lovely tea rooms, and they even have thier own fire engine. I have been a few times, and was there last August. A few years ago when my children were young lady Sutherland was in the drawing room telling everyone about the place. (she is too old now). I just love castles, and Dunrobin has to be one of my favourites, although its really a big house rather than mott and baily type of castle as in England. Not far from there is a really good example of a broch too. We stayed at the Caravan site at Brora which has the most beautiful beach. We used to live closer which is why we had been a few times. Good luck PS.. Eileen is right, everyone is very helpful, so if you did manage to speak to someone there they may be more helpful, especially if they are from the area. if you google dunrobin castle, you will come up with all kinds of pics.