Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Lookup Required

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kristina

Kristina Report 7 Aug 2009 21:18

I am trying to trace any Irish information on Thomas Conboy b c1798 and his Wife Elizabeth b c1797 both born in Galway (according to 1851 Census) Ireland although other members of the family thought it was Roscommon.

They appear on the 1841 Census in Lambeth, Surrey, their eldest child Andrew being born in Ireland abt 1825. The next child Thomas, born 2 years later was born in Lambeth so I guess that means they must have come to England between 1825 and 1827.

Other children include Mary Ann(e) b c1827, Patrick b c1829, Michael b c1834 and Elizabeth b c1837. It is thought that Patrick later went to Australia.

I have English Census for 1841, 1851 and 1861 but know nothing about their Irish history.

Their name is spelt ConbAy on the 1851 Census.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kristina

Missnell

Missnell Report 7 Aug 2009 21:46

Hello, There is a very good site (but have to pay) simply called Irish Census records it could set you on your way

Kristina

Kristina Report 8 Aug 2009 16:47

Many thanks for the info Missnell - I will keep it mind for the future.

However, the only Census that would appear to be relevant would be 1821 as they left Ireland between between 1825 and 1827.

Can anyone suggest any other lines of enquiry?

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 8 Aug 2009 17:06

Hi Kristina

My Gt grandmother was Bridget Brady nee Conboy born in Roscommon c.1856 according to the 1911 Dublin census.

Bridget's father's name was Patrick Conboy, a coachman, on Bridget & Michael's marriage certificate in July 1872 at Our Immaculate Lady of Refuge RC, Rathmines, Dublin.

From the Parish record in Rathmines, it revealed that Patrick Conboy and Marie Conboy nee Stafford were Bridget's parents.

I also have Anne Conboy who was a sponsor to one of Bridget & Michael's children.

Do these names mean anything to you?

Regards...Teresa

Kristina

Kristina Report 8 Aug 2009 19:25

Hi Teresa

Oh, how I would love to find a connection but I don't think there is one.

I have Thomas Conboy b c 1798 marrying Elizabeth (there is s reference to the surname Light but it has never been verified) b c1797.

1851 English Cenus shows then both being born in Galway but legend has always been that it was Roscommon. The two Counties do border each other.

They had the following children
Andrew b c1825 in Galway
Thomas b c1827 in Lambeth, London/Surrey
Patrick b c11829 in Lambeth, London/Surrey
Mary Ann b c1832 in Lambeth, London/Surrey
Michael b c1834 in Lambeth, London/Surrey
Elizabeth b c1837 in Lambeth, London/Surrey (just misses the beginning of the BMD Registers).

Can't see any match with you bit if you know differently , please let me know.

Kristina

Joy

Joy Report 8 Aug 2009 19:29

I am sorry that civil registration started much later in Ireland, 1864 for births, and all census prior to 1901 were destroyed. Some are on the IGI.

You could try the Galway Family History Society.
http://www.brsgenealogy.com/

Potty

Potty Report 8 Aug 2009 19:59

Is this the reference to Light:

Thomas Francis CONBOY Pedigree
Birth: About 1827 Lambeth, London, England

Christening:
Death: 20 AUG 1878 Prahran, Victoria, Australia

Burial: AUG 1878 , Victoria, Australia

Parents:
Father: Thomas Francis CONBOY Family
Mother: Elizabeth LIGHT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church. No additional information is available. Ancestral File may list the same family and the submitter.

Kristina

Kristina Report 8 Aug 2009 20:18

Joy (AKA Maid Marion & Joy Kentish Maid)
Thanks for that but unfortunately it returns nothing.

Potty
That's great. I knew that Thomas had gone to Australia so at least that confirms the LIGHT maternal surname and a source.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help. With any luck I will get a break at sometime in the future and find some other relatives.

Kristina

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 8 Aug 2009 20:21

Kristina...Not a great deal of help but there were (and possibly still are) a number of Conboy families in the Co.Galway who were actually born in the Co.Roscommon...probably the Galway/Roscommon.....connection your family allude to...
The oldest I find in the Co.Galway (1901) is a Martin Conboy aged 80yrs.born.Co.Roscommon.

Joy

Joy Report 8 Aug 2009 21:34

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/galway/templetogher.htm

There is one Thomas Conboy here, who may connect at some time.

Kristina

Kristina Report 8 Aug 2009 23:06

ErinGoBragh1916
Thanks for the info - it's useful to know that, not being very hot on Irish History.

Joy (AKA Maid Marion & Joy Kentish Maid)
I've taken a copy thanks in case I find some connection in the future.

Thanks again everyone.