Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ann Johnson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 4 Apr 2006 20:27

Charles Amor of Bromham Wiltshire was probably born in 1815 - having searched enough parish registers, this is the most likely date. In that case, his father was Joseph, a weaver, and his mother was Sarah. Charles joined the Grenadier Guards in London in 1838, variously being stationed at St John's Wood Barracks and Portman Street Barracks. He married Harriet Francis in 1848, with whom he had already had 3 children : Charles Edward, Joseph, Isabella. They went on to have Harriet, James, William, Thomas and Henry (my great-grandfather). The mystery of Henry's wife is one that has challenged many of his descendants over the last several years: is she Annie Wilson? Or is she Minnie Swaine? I know that she is Minnie from her grandsons (who knew her), and from her marriage certificate. Anyway, a long story, but my conclusion is that she is Minnie/sometimes Annie as they never appear at the same time. So back to Charles - he fought in the Battle of Inkerman in the Crimean War and collected some medals. He served a full 21 years in the 1st and 3rd Grenadier Guards, retiring with a full pension and not a mark on him! He then took up shoemaking and lived in and around Westminster for many years. He seems to have outlived his wife, and he ended his life living with his married daughter Isabella Corbyn and her family, last appearing in the 1891 census. His youngest son Henry, gave his youngest son, Charles (my Grandad), the second name of Inkerman - and I had always wondered if it was because an ancestor had fought in the Crimea! Now I know!