Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

EDITH HEWITT DIED 18-2-1943 IN St Helens AGE 60

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 2 Mar 2010 09:16

I am trying to trace my paternal grandmother Edith Hewitt She was residing at 18 Woodville Street St Helens Lancs in the year 1913/1914. Anyone out there know of the Hewitt family in St Helens, information would be much appreciated
PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THE END OF THIS POST FOR FURTHER INFO THANKS

I AM ADDING TO THIS POST AS I HAVE A LOT OF INFORMATION NOW PLEASE SEE BELOW. COULD SOME KIND PERSON LOOK AT 1911 CENSUS FOR MARGARET SMART 1883 NELLIE SMART 1891 DORA SMART 1897, they are the siblings of Thomas James and John. They are the children of John and Ellen Smart(Nee Hewitt) Ellen went on to marry Thomas Ashall after her husband died. I would like to know more about the girls where they lived in 1911 if they are married? and partticularly what they did for a living. I am looking for a Sister Nurse Smart and I wonder if any of the girls took up the profession. Thanks Eileen P

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 2 Mar 2010 10:26

Just for interest from a free search of the 1911 census it looks as if those below were residing at 18 Woodville Street, St Helens at the time of the census.

HOUSEHOLD CHAPLIN ROLFE VICTOR M 1873 38 Prescot Lancashire

HOUSEHOLD LEIGH CHARLES M 1876 35 Prescot Lancashire
HOUSEHOLD LEIGH MAGGIE F 1888 23 Prescot Lancashire

HOUSEHOLD TURNER ELIZABETH ANN F 1885 26 Prescot Lancashire
HOUSEHOLD TURNER JAMES OLIVER M 1885 26 Prescot Lancashire

HOUSEHOLD DIXON FREDERICK GEORGE M 1887 24 Prescot Lancashire

HOUSEHOLD SILLIR ROBERT M 1879 32 Prescot Lancashire

HOUSEHOLD WRIGHT CHARLES F M 1875 36 Prescot Lancashire
HOUSEHOLD WRIGHT CYRIL PERCY M 1896 15 Prescot Lancashire
HOUSEHOLD WRIGHT FRANK SYDNEY M 1899 12 Prescot Lancashire

Eileen

Eileen Report 2 Mar 2010 19:47

My paternal grandmother Edith Hewitt gave birth at 70 Claughton Street St Helens, and the birth was registered from 18 woodville Street, as far as I am aware she was un married at the time

Eileen

Eileen Report 3 Mar 2010 09:50

Thanks for taking the time to add all the info. I dont recognise any of the names. However I believe the house was used as a boarding house so that would account for the number of residents regards

Eileen

Eileen Report 3 Mar 2010 10:12

I am new to this, have I done something wrong?
one of my replies has been deleted? I dont understand why

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 3 Mar 2010 10:28

No Eileen you have not done anything wrong. It is just that the person who made that comment has decided to delete it. The individual is well known amongst GR members and often flicks in and out of threads.

Don't worry

Eileen

Eileen Report 3 Mar 2010 13:03

Thank you, I really thought I had a link there, Thanks for your help

Eileen

Eileen Report 5 Mar 2010 10:16

Here is a bit more info. My dad was "taken in " as a babe but as far as I am aware he wasnt adopted. He was brought up with the surname of Skerry, and myself and my siblings were brought up as Skerry's. We only found out his background when we were adults. We were in touch with the Skerry family when we we younger, but have lost touch now. The older members of the family didnt discuss it. However they have passed on now so I feel I wouldnt upset anyone if I start to dig into his past. On his birth cert. his mother was Edith Hewitt and father not listed. I presume she was un-married. So really its my fathers birth family that I am interested in. Thanks to all for any help.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Mar 2010 13:05

At that time there was no formal procedures for adoption and illegitimate children were often raised by family members. Have you researched the Skerry line to establish that there was no connection to Hewitt?

Have you looked for any possible marriages for Edith - trouble is she may not have come from St. Helens - she may just have been in Service in that area.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Mar 2010 14:00

There does not appear to be a Skerry/Hewitt connection in England or Wales but of course the surname Skerry has Irish origins so maybe a connection could exist there.

The children of the Skerry family who appear in the 1911 census in St Helens appear to have been born in the Liverpool area.

If it was that Skerry family who took in your father (Aubrey ?) then it may be worth investigating that connection.

The mother Mary Skerry's maiden name was Smart and in the Prescot registration district in 1882 there was a marriage between a John Smart and an Ellen Hewitt. I wonder whether this might provide the clue to link the Skerry and Hewitt families together.

Eileen

Eileen Report 5 Mar 2010 14:14

Thanks Your idea of tracing the Skerry line is a good one. It sounds quite likely that there is a connection. I am a novice at this so any help is greatly appreciated

Eileen

Eileen Report 5 Mar 2010 14:42

You are a genious
I am convinced that there is a connection between The Skerry and Hewitt families. Also the name of Smart would come up in conversation when I was a child, I remember there being a Sister Smart mentioned,dont know if she was a nursing sister, I might have got this wrong though. It would be wonderful to know my father (Aubrey's) background, as he never knew in his lifetime, and I have also resisted for many years so as not to upset the oldies. However I am rapidly becoming an oldie myself so I need to put this to rest. Thank you so much for getting me on the right track, regards Eileen

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Mar 2010 15:19

Marriages Sep 1899 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skerry Joseph Prescot 8b 1210
Smart Mary Priscilla Prescot 8b 1210

Name: Mary Skerry
[Mary Smart]
Estimated birth year: abt 1872
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: Joseph
Mother's Name: Mary
Where born: Warrington, Lancashire, England

Civil parish: Walton On The Hill
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
Town: Liverpool
County/Island: Lancashire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: West Derby
Sub-registration district: Walton
ED, institution, or vessel: 21
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 217
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Skerry 28
Mary Skerry 29
Mary Smart 67
Harry Smart 28
David Smart 27
Mary Smart 15

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 3454; Folio: 74; Page: 38.

Name: Mary Smart
Estimated birth year: abt 1831
Relation: Head
Where born: Bristol

Civil parish: Eccleston
Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas
Town: St Helens

Street Address:

Education:

Registration district: Prescot
Sub-registration district: St Helens
ED, institution, or vessel: 15
Mary Smart 60
Robert Smart 30
Mary Smart 27
Robert Wilkinson 18
David Smart 18

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 3021; Folio 85; Page 19; GSU roll: 6098131.

Can't see the family in 1881. I was hoping to find that Mary had a brother John - but I suppose that would be too easy!

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Mar 2010 15:32

The couple that Jonesey found the 1882 marriage for.

Name: John Swart
[John Smart]
Estimated birth year: abt 1860
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Ellen
Where born: Warrington, Lancashire, England

Civil parish: Eccleston
Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas
Town: St Helens

Street Address:

Education:

Registration district: Prescot
Sub-registration district: St Helens
ED, institution, or vessel: 17
John Swart 31
Ellen Swart 30
Margaret Swart 8
Thomas Swart 4
James Swart 2
Nellie Swart 5/12

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 3022; Folio 17; Page 28; GSU roll: 6098132.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Mar 2010 15:37

Rootgatherer,

Here is mother Mary and some of the family in Glasgow in 1881. No John showing however:

Name: Mary Smart
Estimated birth year: abt 1835
Relationship: Head
Where born: England
Registration Number: 644/2
Registration district: Camlachie
Civil parish: Glasgow St John
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 774 Gallowgate
ED: 18
Household schedule number: 90
Line: 15
Roll: cssct1881_217
Mary Smart 46
Philip Smart 22
Mary Smart 16
Harry Smart 10
David Smart 8

Eileen

Eileen Report 5 Mar 2010 16:06

Thank you so much, it will take me some time to trawl through all this info. You have collated so much for me and in a couple of days you have done what I have been trying to do for years, Bravo!!!

Eileen

Eileen Report 5 Mar 2010 16:45

Hi its me again I have had a little look. I think the next step is for me to find Edith Hewitt, she is my dads birth mother. Listed is Ellen Hewitt married John Smart 1882, I am wondering if Edith is Ellens sister but I cant see her on the list, so I will keep looking, thanks again.

Mary

Mary Report 5 Mar 2010 17:17

So far found these who areI think Mary Smart's born Bristol @ 1831

George Bristol @1853
Frederick 1858 Scotland
William James 1867 warrington
Mary Priscilla @ 1868 Warrington she married Joseph Skerry
Thomas 1865 Warrington
David Scotland? 1873
Henry/Harry 1863
Philip 1859

Maryb

Eileen

Eileen Report 5 Mar 2010 23:04

Thanks Mary I have had a great response from a lot of very kind people like yourself. I am overwhelmed by all the hard work done on my behalf, and I have found out so much in the past few days, Best wishes

Eileen

Eileen Report 7 Mar 2010 11:55

Hi Jonesey, You still there? just a quick thank you for all your help. It has given me so much info. I have been trying to put it all together and a great deal of it is quite clear. However I still cannot place Edith Hewitt my fathers birth mother, I think she must have been born or lived in Warrington Lancs. and of course my dads birth father is not recorded on the birth cert. I have made contact with the family services office they suggest checking the parish register cos in some cases the father is listed in the records. Just thought I would update you, cos Ime sure you like to know outcomes when you are good enough to help novices like my self, best regards Eileen