Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I cant get any futher on my fathers side than him

Page 0 + 1 of 6

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brenda

Brenda Report 6 Jul 2010 22:49

Hi can anyone help my Grandfathers name was Frederick William Edwards and he married Eddith Annie Hewer but we can not find any record of the marrage, We know Edith was born 1893 in Gloustershire.but she doesnt appear in the 1901 census her mothers name was Annie Hewer, we think my grandmothers first child was born in 1920 my uncle . My cousins our fathers were twin brothers and I have spent a fortune trying to find these two people any help would be appreciated. Fredewricks name was on all 5 childrens birth certifficates.

Flick

Flick Report 6 Jul 2010 22:58

You say that he 'married' Edith...........then say you can't find the marriage.

Perhaps it never happened?

How do you know where and when Edith was born?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Jul 2010 22:58

Just posting this while I have a look around

Marriages Dec 1898 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beazley Thomas Bertram Cirencester 6a 756
Hewer Annie Louise Cirencester 6a 756
Pavier Annie Cirencester 6a 756
Smith William Cirencester 6a 756

Name: Edith Smith
Estimated birth year: abt 1892
Relation: Stepdaughter
Mother's Name: Annie
Where born: Bristol, Gloucestershire, England

Civil parish: Bristol
Ecclesiastical parish: St Clement
County/Island: Gloucestershire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Bristol
Sub-registration district: St Paul
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 75
Household Members: Name Age
Benjamin Wake 48
Annie Wake 40
Benjamin Wake 20
William Wake 18
Henry Wake 15
Ada Coppin 20
Sidney Coppin 16
Edith Smith 9
May Smith 3

Marriages Sep 1900 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brain Frederick George B Bristol 6a 405
Smith Annie Bristol 6a 405
Takel Louisa Elizabeth Bristol 6a 405
Wake Benjamin Giles Bristol 6a 405

Will probably rule this out in a minute

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 6 Jul 2010 22:58

See also this thread that Brenda has not returned to

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1228334

A little info ,but nothing found.

Flick

Flick Report 6 Jul 2010 22:59

???????

Births Mar 1921 (>99%)

Edwards Joyce Hewer Lichfield 6b 907

Births Mar 1923 (>99%)

Edwards Kenneth A Hewer Lichfield 6b 837
Edwards William N Hewer Lichfield 6b 836

Births Mar 1926 (>99%)

Edwards Walter Hewer Lichfield 6b 728

Flick

Flick Report 6 Jul 2010 23:00

Thanks FBG.......no more input from me....................

Time-wasters I can do without...............

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Jul 2010 23:01

Oh bother !!!

I just love duplicate threads

Brenda

Brenda Report 8 Jul 2010 11:20

Hi Flick Sorry I wasnt being a time waster I didnt know how to use the board as I explained to one of the administrators I've had a brain Aneurysm and find computers and folling things very hard. Sorry to cause you any distress and I am gratefull for your help.Kennith , William and Walter were my father and two of his brothers also in 1920 Frederick was born and also Edith Joan, My Grandfather abandoned my Grandmother when Walter was 6 weeks old and she went into the poor house where she met Joseph Willets and had tw illigitimate children by him. She married him in 1953 not knowing if her husband was dead or not even though she had put "husband deceased on Frederick William and my fathers Kenneths marrage certificates. Also the two children she had by Joseph Willets took the name Willetts even though they were not formally addopted by him. I also know that my Grandmother had a step sister Molly but we dont know her surname. Talk about confusing. Again many thanks for your hard work... Brenda

Brenda

Brenda Report 14 Jul 2010 23:34

oohm goodness sorry I havent replied but still finding my way round this............From this it lo0oks as if My Grandmother wasnt maried to the father of her children......Kenneth was my father and William his twin brother. and Walter the youngest. The oldest Brither Frederick had a twin Joan who died and I have only recenly found out that another child was born and died in 1921. This answerse a LOT of questions Thank you so much

Brenda

Brenda Report 14 Jul 2010 23:37

oh I see the surname is first then the children... then mothers maiden name.oh boy dont have a brain aneurysm it makes me so cross I cant seemto grasp things

Brenda

Brenda Report 14 Jul 2010 23:52

We have our Grandmothers birth certificate

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Jul 2010 23:56

Maybe we can try starting over.

The one big thing to remember (that isn't made clear enough at this site) is that the first thing to do when you come here is click on "My threads" over on the left hand side.

That will automatically find your threads for you. You don't have to do the work. Then you just click on each one to read it. It's best to do that always, and let the site do the remembering for you. You only need to remember "My threads".

In the other thread you said that your half-uncle (one of Edith's sons from her second relationship / marriage) said his mother married Joseph Willets bigamously.

She did marry him as Hewer. That could mean she was never married before, or she concealed the marriage.

Name: Edith A Hewer
Spouse Surname: Willets
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1953
Registration district: Newcastle-Under-Lyme
Registration county (inferred): Staffordshire
Volume Number: 9b
Page Number: 623

The fact that she waited until 1953 to marry Joseph, with whom she had children 30 years earlier -- was he married, and not free to marry until his wife died?

If not, possible she was married, and married Joseph after Frederick William Edwards died. Will have a look around ...

Brenda

Brenda Report 14 Jul 2010 23:58

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate everyones help on this ..xx

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 15 Jul 2010 00:03

Funny really ,I was just relooking at all this when it popped back up on my threads (and I am getting nowhere fast)and realised that I need to ask a question.

What is Frederick William Edwards occupation on his childrens birth certs please.

And do you know when/where he died?

Brenda

Brenda Report 15 Jul 2010 00:06

yes that is my Grandmothers Marrage certificate, My half uncle says she told them she was bigimously married to Joseph whos first wife Caroline died leaving him with 6 children who I bellive were a lot older than my grandmothers/ On all my fathers full brothers marrage certificates it has the fathers name as Frederick William Edwards deceaced although she knows he wasnt as the story goes he ran off with a woman when the youngest child was 6 weeks oldand came down to kent. Only 3 of the brothers Married Walter never did. Oh how complicated some peoples lives were lol

Brenda

Brenda Report 15 Jul 2010 00:08

My mother who is 85 can remember my grandmother having a half or step sister called molly who was a lot younger than her but she cant remember anything else

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 15 Jul 2010 00:10

What is Frederick William Edwards occupation on his childrens birth certs please.

And do you know when/where he died?

Brenda

Brenda Report 15 Jul 2010 00:10

his occupation was a hewer ie he worked at the coal face for the Waterworks, After he abandoned my granmother she went into a work house and says she never heard from him again so how doies she know he came down to kent with another woman? we dont know a thing about him

Brenda

Brenda Report 15 Jul 2010 00:12

sorry not marrage certificate but the sons bith certificates and marrage certifficates...sorry I'm getting tired and my meds are starting to work

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 15 Jul 2010 00:14

Go to bed and come back fresh tomorrow Brenda.

Im sure we will still be here with lots more questions for you to answer.

Which is what I am going to do as I am not thinking straight now.