Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Relatives in Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Binge

Binge Report 25 Sep 2009 18:34

I have cousins whose parents/grandparents used to send & receive letters to and from my mother Margaret Feest (nee Francis (1902-1979)) in the 1930-1950s. I believe they were perhaps surnamed Francis and their UK family came from either Horsham, Sussex or Reigate, Surrey. They lived variously in Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide. Whilst I do not wish for direct contact I would like to put any Australian connection into my family tree. My Mother had 2 Sisters, Gladys & Nellie & a younger brother Robert Leslie. All died some years ago. Their Father was Robert Francis who married Ellen Dewdney. They were both born in Horsham Sussex. He was a 'jobbing' taylor and worked for a top-notche talloring in Worthing, Sussex
James Feest

Pam

Pam Report 26 Sep 2009 10:13

n

Berona

Berona Report 26 Sep 2009 10:25

James, you have named three different capital cities there so you would be needing records from three different states.

The privacy laws are strict in Australia and it is difficult to find records for the most recent generations, unless you know of the approximate year that they emigrated and the name of the ship would help. You definitely need to know the Christian names and approx. year of birth of those born in Aust. If the Christian name is not known, then at least the names of both parents.

If you can supply these, perhaps locals can help you. We have members here from all states.

Binge

Binge Report 19 Apr 2014 17:22

I have now found that It was to the late Amy Francis (nee Battersby that my Mother used to write to. She emigrated to Australis in 1924 with her husband Walter & daughters Amy (16) & Violet (19)in 1924

Amy married twice (i) Ralph Avery 1933(divorced ) (2) Douglas Sligar 1963 (divorced as well)
Did she has any children fromher first mrriage

Binge

Binge Report 19 Apr 2014 17:22

I have now found that It was to the late Amy Francis (nee Battersby that my Mother used to write to. She emigrated to Australis in 1924 with her husband Walter & daughters Amy (16) & Violet (19)in 1924

Amy married twice (i) Ralph Avery 1933(divorced ) (2) Douglas Sligar 1963 (divorced as well)
Did she has any children fromher first mrriage