Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Harrington

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillen

Gillen Report 21 Jul 2007 18:58

I am trying to find out what became of my Grandmother's siblings. My G-Grandfather was John Michael Harrington (b. 1839, in Killarney) who married Maria Bourke in Cork in 1868. JMH was a Sergeant in 39th Regt and they went out to India soon after and settled there. Alice/Alicia Mary Jane was born in Cork in 1869, and is thought to have married (probably in India) a Fitzpatrick, with a son Desmond. There may also have been a 'Cousin Peggy', ? Bennet, who died in childbirth. Francis Charles was born in Dalhousie, Punjab 1877, possibly married Daisy Duncan in 1906, and died in India in 1914. Geraldine Maude was born in Almora, Punjab in 1879. No further information. Edmund was born in Lucknow in 1880. No further information. My Grandmother, May Kathleen (1876-1947) was born in Dalhousie and married in India in 1906. I would love to know what became of these great-aunts & uncles and whether they have any living descendants; any information would be most gratefully received.

Diana

Diana Report 25 Aug 2012 15:17

I am a niece of Clare (Fitzpatrick) Welman, sister of Peggy Bennett. Although you and I are not related we share the Welman cousins. Only one is still surviving & would be very interested to hear about your part of the family. Do get in touch. Diana Campbell

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Aug 2012 15:22

Diana

The post to which you have added is over 5 years old

The poster has never returned to it, so is unlikely to see your message now

If you think he/she may still have the same e-mail as in 2007, click on the name, and send a message

GR will attempt to notify him/her

Gillen

Gillen Report 6 Jan 2017 12:12

Although I ceased membership some time ago I see I was still in correspondence with a member in December 2013.

HOWEVER
I never received the post from Diana Campbell dated 25 August 2012 to which 'Reggie' replied 5 minutes later with the - apparently automated - discouraging remark that after 5 years I was 'unlikely to see it'. This was somewhat high-handed of you. By chance I saw the thread on GOOGLE when returning recently to the problem of my (still missing) family members.

I have rejoined Genes, for a temporary month, to get this sorted out and should be grateful if you somehow you would rectify your misplaced action by allowing me to reestablish contact with Diana.

Thank you, Gillen

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Jan 2017 12:36

I have to say, Gillen, that the remarks posted by Reggie were neither automated nor discouraging. She merely explained that Diana had replied to a 5 year old post and that it was unlikely that you would see it. She kindly explained that she could click on your name and send a personal message.

Of course you didn't receive the post from Diana, it was on your thread.

Very rude of you to call Reggie's action high-handed and to tell her to rectify her misplaced action so that you could reestablish contact with Diana. Actually I believe it's too late to contact Diana, I think she's no longer a member. Also I think that Reggie is no longer a member.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Jan 2017 16:22

Gillen, to avoid this happening again, tick the 'watch this' button at the top of the thread.
As long as, even as a lapsed member, you keep your account linked to a current email address you'll be notified if anyone adds to a thread you have an interest in.