Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Sutton born 1789 Thorney Cambridgeshire

Page 0 + 1 of 7

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

moonbi

moonbi Report 13 Aug 2010 01:20

Thomas Sutton born 1789 Thorney and died 1877 Newborough
married Ann Walton or Walden on 29th March 1819 in Thorney.
Ann Walton born 1790 and died Ann Sutton 1878.
Children born in the Newborough - Eye area, Northampton.
Mary, Peter, Ann, Rachel, Ruth, Rebecca, David, Daniel, Isaac and Bridget.
Peter and his wife Ellen nee Briggs migrated to Brisbane Qld with four little children on the Fitzjames from Liverpool in 1860.

Thomas lastly resided St.Martin Road Newborough: Cottager and Ag Labourer (1871 census). age 81
Wanting help please to find any information about Thomas' parents in Thorney, Cambridgeshire.
From Annette, Albury Australia
edit 21/8/2010
since found out that Thomas family resided in EYE when his children were young. all being christened at St Matthew's Eye. during the years 1822 to 1834
Suttons from Eye, where are you?
Annette

Julia

Julia Report 13 Aug 2010 08:29

Good Morning All
I am nudging this up for Moonbi, because yesterday she had posted on the Surname board, and I asked her to put it on here where, hopefully, it would gain more attention.
Moonbi is one of our new Aussie posters to GR
My interest was that I have had a little bit of a connection to Thorrney, which is the Huguenot settlement in Cambs. But, not everyone coming from Thorney were Huguenot's, and similarly, not every Huguenot had a French sounding name. This is just a clue as an aid to anyone helping Moonbi.
Also, Newborough and Eye, are two separate 'hamlets' very close to Dogsthorpe and Paston, in a little hook of land, which borders Cambs, Lincs, and Northamptonshire, and I have found records being transcribed puttting these places in any of these counties. Baptisms in St John's Baptist, Peterborough, have featured heavily in my searches of this are.
I hope these clues may help someone to help Moonbi
Julia in Derbyshire

moonbi

moonbi Report 14 Aug 2010 12:34

Thanks Joan, will follow this lead to see if a son Thomas matches the birthdate of 1789

Annette AUS

moonbi

moonbi Report 16 Aug 2010 05:35

hi All
really finding it tough to get a result here
which site would be the best to use?

Annette

moonbi

moonbi Report 16 Aug 2010 05:36

Julia
did you get to look at my tree?

Annette

Hilary

Hilary Report 16 Aug 2010 06:34

Hi Moonbi, I can hopefully help you tomorrow, I live in Cambridgeshire & a Family History man goes to our local library on Tuesdays. He has all the Cambs Records on microfiche. I;ll go & look for you.
Hilary

Julia

Julia Report 16 Aug 2010 08:25

Good Morning/Afternoon Annette, I have read your tree, and it is very interesting. I have also seen another tree from a descendant of one of the other children of Thomas b 1789. This person also cannot get back before this time to find his parents. (Much the same with my tree).
However, I have been looking on the IGI, and played about with the Batch Nos. I too have come up with the Thomas who married Ann Norton in 1788, and date wise, it would look as if these are his parents, but I have only found daughters of this marriage, up to now.
However, I have also found a Peter, married to a Mary Beale in 1774. So far, I have only found daughters of this marriage also, and no sons. But, the names of these daughters, are the same as some of the daughters of your Thomas. Either they were fashionable names of the times, or, they could be the names of his own sisters, if I could link your Thomas as a child of this family.
I have also been able to find a Marmaduke Sutton who married an Ann Pierson in 1740. There again, I have only found daughters. There seems to be either a few years missing from the IGI, or I have not found the ' missing ' persons yet. I hope this all makes sense.
I would like to see what Hilary's friend comes up with, it could make very interesting reading. Who knows, I might ask her to contact him regards my own brick wall.
Meanwhile, I will keep looking and see what I can find.
All the Best
Julia in Derbyshire

Hilary

Hilary Report 16 Aug 2010 10:47

As long as the Family History man is there I will jot down all Sutton's around that time, marriages & baptisms.
Hilary

Samantha

Samantha Report 16 Aug 2010 10:50

Hi
I also have past connections to Thorney. I was sent a family tree going right back to1550 by the Thorney Heritage Museum, The Tankyard, Station Road
Thorney
PE6 0QE

It might be worth contacting them.
Good luck
SB

Julia

Julia Report 16 Aug 2010 11:08

Samamtha, Good Morning. Thanks for putting up that address, and I will contact them. I have a Thorney interest through the (Le) Fevre families of Thorney, which twice married into my own family, and whose pedigrees I have.
However, although I am almost sure my main family were not from Thorney, and were not Huguenots, I suppose there is always a possibility. I have my family back to a mention in a will in Eye in 1744, and then zilch, nothing any further back. So infuriating. I feel if I could crack this one nut, I would be able to trace them further back. Oh Happy Days
All the Best
Julia in Derbyshire

Renes

Renes Report 16 Aug 2010 11:28

Hi All

I too have family connections in Coates - Whittlesey - area

All these villages are very close - and I understand were all part of the Duke of Bedfordshire s estate

Am writing this to add to my threads- and will have a root about for all the names mentioned

Irene in Spain

Julia

Julia Report 16 Aug 2010 11:32

Irene, I feel we may end up being related LOL
From the 1800's mine too were from Whittlesey. Maybe we need a 'heads together', as I have come across alot of Whittlesey 'names' whilst doing my research.
All the Best
Julia in Derbyshire

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 16 Aug 2010 13:21

www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html

The above link will take you to the Cambridgeshire Family History Society online database, Baptisms and Burials are there from 1801 - 1837, although too late for Thomas, there could be siblings,also a possible Burial for his mother Ann...

Could be his father Thomas in 1841...

census search results 1841 address search redefine current search
Name Sex Age Birth
Year Occupation Where Born Original
census

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUTTON, Thomas M 82 1759 Cambridgeshire VIEW
SIMMS, John M 39 1802 Cambridgeshire VIEW
SIMMS, Martha F 33 1808 Cambridgeshire VIEW
SIMMS, Julia F 6 1835 Cambridgeshire VIEW
SIMMS, Frederick M 1 1840 Cambridgeshire VIEW
ALLEN, Robert M 29 1812 VIEW
THOMPSON, Thomas M 20 1821 Cambridgeshire VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
HO107 Piece:
78 Book/Folio:
9 Page:

Registration District:
Whittlesea Sub District:
Thorney Abbey Enumeration District:
Ecclesiastical Parish:

Civil Parish:
Thorney Municipal Borough:
Address:
Thorney County:
Cambridgeshire

Cambridge Records Office might be able to help...

Contacts
Cambridgeshire Archives

Box RES 1009
Shire Hall
Castle Hill
Cambridge
CB3 0AP
Tel: 01223 699399
Contact us:

Chris :)

Renes

Renes Report 16 Aug 2010 14:50

Reckon you could be right - your OH and my Dad s were almost the same - almost - and the coal miners connections

Irene in Spain

Julia

Julia Report 16 Aug 2010 16:43

Annette, Hi, I have been looking into this on and off all day. The William Sutton you have in your tree born 1823, is not the brother of Thomas born 1789. According to the IGI site, he belongs to an Elizabeth Sutton. No father is given.
Speak soon
Julia in Derbyshire

moonbi

moonbi Report 17 Aug 2010 01:11

Good morning all, but I guess all you homeland people are snug in bed.

after a week of cold rain we had a very frosty day, and finally I see the sun again. My youngest son is doing his final exams this week so I am busy helping him. But I am so thankful that you are searching on my behalf, and yours too I see!
Thats Great.
Over the last 2 days I have been in contact with Peterborough District Family history society and they sent me a spreadsheet of Suttons, a few are on my line, but I knew of these.
then suggested I contact Mr Searle who has a link in Cambridgeshire. He kindly sent me this morning images of the 1861 and 1871 census where my man is living in Newborough. I had already seen these in my search too. so I asked mentioned that I wanted to find Thomas parents and siblings in Thorney. Thats as far as I have got today. I heard of a contact in Qld who may know of Sutton in Thorney. So I want to phone her later today.
Annette

moonbi

moonbi Report 17 Aug 2010 01:24

JUlia
William b 1823
oh yes, I remember getting a pm from one of my hot matches
to say this William was the son of a single mother, Elizabeth Sutton who later went on to marry a Mr Johnson.
I left him there on my tree Just in case his father was a Sutton too!
sometimes happens ?
Annette

moonbi

moonbi Report 17 Aug 2010 01:53

thanks Hilary you are amazing to go to all that trouble for me
Annette

Hilary

Hilary Report 17 Aug 2010 16:58

Hi, I now have the parish records of Thorney. Listed below are the Sutton marriages for years 1740-1799
5.10.1740 Sutton Marmaduke
Peirson Ann
10.11.1773 Hill Joseph wdr. otp.
Sutton Susanna sp. otp
30.3.1778 Brakes Jacob bac. of St John Baptist, Peterborough
Sutton Sarahsp. otp
10.7.1781 Sutton Peter wdr. otp
Shaw Mary sp. otp
12.5.1783 Sutton William bac. otp
Gibbons Maria sp. otp

12.10.1784 Sutton James bac otp
Hewles Mary (x)sp. otp
14.10.1788 Sutton Thomas (x) bac. otp
Norton Ann (x)sp. otp
8.9.1789 Sutton Joseph wdr. St John Baptist, Peterborough
Morris Mary of age sp. otp
Hilary

Hilary

Hilary Report 17 Aug 2010 17:01

Ann's name in Parish Records is Walton (1819)
Will add baptisms later on.
Hilary