Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cambridgeshire parish look ups available SUSPENDED

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 1 Feb 2008 09:55

SUSPENDED DUE TO MICROFICHE READER BREAKING

Have the following Cambridge parishes on microfiche:

Babraham 1561-1950-
Duxford St John and St Peter 1599-1950
Fowlmere 1561-1950
Great Shelford 1557-1844
Hauxton 1560-1950
Hinxton 1538-1950
Little Shelford 1600-1950
Newton 1557-1950
Pampisford 1560-1950
Sawston 1590-1950
Shepreth 1559-1950
Stapleford 1557-1950
Thriplow 1538-1950
Whittlesford 1559-1950

All the above contain baptisms, banns, marriages and burials.

Some Monumental Inscriptions for Whittlesford
Some Monumental Inscriptions for Shudy Camps

Cambridge poor law papers that include settlement certificates, removal orders, bastardy bonds. The information given is names and parishes.

Cambs and Hunts Women in the British Lying-in-hospital
Cambridgeshire Deserters 1828-1845 from the police gazette

PMS welcome

Cathy

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 10 Feb 2008 12:06

Nudge x

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 10 Feb 2008 12:28

Hi Cathy

Thanks for the kind offer. Could you check Sawston baptisms for me for Mabel Barnes c1867 and Adeline Barnes c1870, parents were George & Harriet Barnes. Also in Sawston a Jane Wisbey, c1850 and her marriage to Henry Norris 1869.

Many thanks,
Richard

Alyson

Alyson Report 10 Feb 2008 12:47

Hi Cathy
let me start by saying thank you for your offer . I am looking for any info on John Cole /Coel born in cambridgeshire in 1796 i think he married a lady called Elizabeth sorry there is not much to go on he moved to essex where he died in june 1867
Thanks Alyson

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 10 Feb 2008 13:21

Hi Richard

Can find no baptism for Mabel Barnes c1867 or surrounding years. Did find baptisms for the following in Sawston:
16 March 1869
Barnes George Alfred of George and Harriet, otp, leather dresser

6 March 1870
Barnes Adelaide of Georg and Harriet, otp, leather dresser
6 March 1870
Barnes Adeline of George and Harriet, otp, leather dresser

Burials

24 March 1869
Barnes George Alfred, otp, infant

27 April 1870
Barnes Adelaide, otp, infant

No marriage fo George and Harriet in the parish.

Marriage
16th May 1869
Norris Henry Charles, full, bac, baker of Bermondsey Surey son of Joseph, lab
Wisbey Jane (x), minor, sp, (blank) otp, dau of William, lab
Witnessess: William Stallan (x), Mary Wisbey (x)

Unfortunately the banns register for Sawston 1836-1902 is lost.

Cathy

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 10 Feb 2008 13:24

Hi Cathy

Many thanks for that - much appreciated!

Regards,
Richard

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 10 Feb 2008 13:34

Hi Alyson
Have checked all the parishes and can find no John Cole/Coel at all in the dates or surrounding years.

Cathy

Alyson

Alyson Report 10 Feb 2008 13:54

Hi Cathy
I knew it was a long shot but thanks for looking anyway
Alyson

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 10 Feb 2008 23:19

Hi again Cathy

Could I possibly ask for one more - the baptism of Jane Wisb(e)y in Great Shelford or Little Shelford, c1850.

Many thanks,
Richard

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 11 Feb 2008 13:15

Hi Richard

Of course you may! I have checked and the Great Shelford Prs only go up to 1844. She was not baptised in Little Shelford. I have checked the census and found Jane age 1y with her family...parents William and Ruth. Is this correct??
On the census it says Jane was born in Stapleford and her father in Babraham. Would you believe these are the two latest Prs that i have ordered in my own quest for my Nunn family. So i will be able to look for Janes baptism as soon as they arrive.
On another note i can check for some of Janes siblings that were born in Sawston and the burials of her parents for you.
Cathy

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 11 Feb 2008 13:36

Richard
Can only find baptisms for two of the five children they had in Sawston. Maybe the others were privately baptised or baptised in another parish.

27th March 1853 Martha Sarah of William and Ruth, otp, lab

2nd June 1857 Mary Ann of William and Ruth, otp, lab aged 2

Burials

5th June 1863 burial Elizabeth Wisbey, otp, 4

29th March 1883 burial William Wisbey, otp, 65

8th February 1899 burial Ruth Wisbey, otp, 79, buried: cemetery.
Cathy

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 11 Feb 2008 14:16

Richard
Have found William Wisbey and Ruth Wisby mentioned in the burial book:

29th March 1883 Wisbey William, otp, 65, Grave no: plot 9

8th February 1899 Wisbey Ruth, otp, 79, widow of William, Grave no: plot 9 with her husband.

Cathy

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 11 Feb 2008 14:49

Have found William and his family in the poor law papers. Will note it down here exactly as it it:

Wisby
William, Ruth, William, John, Jane
Archive parish: Babraham
Year: 1852
Document: SRO
Other parish: fm Stapleford

Extract from the prs regarding settlement removal orders.
"Settlement examinations were usually carried out either when someone wished to move out of the parish or when someone became in need of parish relief. If, as a result of the examination, it was found that the person's legal place of settlement was elsewhere the a Removal Order would be issued. Those named on the Removal Order would be sent to that parish by direct route. The parish to which they were sent had to pay costs of this removal. A parish could appeal against a Removal Order and in this case both parishes would be rpresented at the following Quarter Sessions where the legal place of settlement would be decided. The loser paid the additional costs of court fees, etc in these cases. Removal orders were always duplicated a copy being retained by both parishes concerned."
cathy

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 11 Feb 2008 19:21

Hi Maggie

Sorry i have no parish records for Somersham.
Somersham is in the county of Huntingdonshire which is next to Cambridge. You could try Genfair to see if they have anything.
www.genfair.co.uk
Cathy

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 11 Feb 2008 23:13

Hi Cathy

Many many thanks for all the info on the Wisbeys, it is very much appreciated. The two eldest children (William & John) were baptised in Fulbourn, according to the IGI. There is also an IGI entry for Jane, but it is a submitted entry, giving her birth-date as 2-Jan-1849 in Sawston. However, there's no corresponding entry on FreeBMD - the most likely one on there is Jane Wisby, Q1 1850, Chesterton. As you found, on the 1851 she is aged 1 and her birthplace given as Stapleford, which ties in with the FreeBMD entry (Sawston would be Linton district, whereas Stapleford would be Chesterton) - so I suspect that the submitted entry on the IGI is incorrect. Anyway, if you do find her baptism in the records that you have on order, that would be great! (could you pm me if you do come across her, in case I don't check back on this thread).

Best wishes,
Richard

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 12 Feb 2008 10:51

Your welcome Richard. Hopefully the PRs will be here by the end of the week so i will have a check then for Jane and message you whatever the outcome.

Cathy

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 16 Feb 2008 13:18

Nudge x

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 1 Mar 2008 15:18

Have just added a few more parishes.

Cathy in Portsmouth

Cathy in Portsmouth Report 13 Jun 2008 19:46

Nudge x

Ian

Ian Report 3 Feb 2012 15:09

Are you still willing and able to do look ups, Cathy? If so I am interested in Churchman in Hauxton around 1740. One source says that John Churchman was born there then to Thomas and Martha from Dry Drayton. Other sources say born in Sawston.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Ian