Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Needed Re Canada....BIG UPDATE !!

Page 0 + 1 of 8

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 25 Jan 2009 13:37

You can contact me anytime Margaret "!!

I am never 'stuck' for a recipe for a friend.

Dea Xxx

Margee

Margee Report 25 Jan 2009 13:30

Misty, how wonderful! I'm so happy for you!
What a wonderful ending and I had such fun working on this thread.
Dea, I was just thinking of you one day this week when I didn't know what to make for supper. Was wishing we were still in contact.
No, I never did learn how to use chopsticks. (too old to learn new tricks!)
Supper tonight, in honour of my birthplace, roast beef & Yorkshire pud.
Margaret

Dea

Dea Report 25 Jan 2009 12:14

Cheeky thing Misty - still laughing at my expense (re PPL !!)

I wouldn't care but I love those Jeans - I have since worn them a few times and washed them SEVERAL times and the dye still rubs off!! - Not quite so much now though so there is hope!

Dea x

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 25 Jan 2009 11:59

Morning All

Yes Dea, we did have such fun. PPL still makes me smile...sorry
Wonder if Margaret ever did learn how to use chop stick's...

I was up most of the night, again!!!, sending off details to Ida to take with her on Saturday, how wonderful it will be to find out about my ggrandma..maybe even get to see photo's.

mgnv...I shall take a look at that info...I'm sure your right about Thomas and his birth cert....easy to see why he would want to sort that situation out...just wish I was able to find him now !!

Janice...I'm still grinning...huge phone bill, I think !

Thank You All once again

Misty x

mgnv

mgnv Report 25 Jan 2009 10:31

5 km NNW of Appleby is the village of Long Marton. 1km N of the village is the hamlet of Marton Moor, and a further 1km N is a farm called Galliber. East Ward rego D covered Long Marton.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NY6626

Look up "Thomas" in E Ward 1905q4:

Births Dec 1905 (>99%)
Fallowfield Thomas E. Ward 10b *
Gilpin Thomas E. Ward 10b 720
Nixon Thomas E. Ward 10b 720
Walton Thomas Dent E. Ward 10b 719

Click on the spectacles and view the images. You'll see there is not a real ref for Fallowfield, just a xref to J/28 in the page foot

Births Jun 1928 (>99%)
Fallowfield Thomas Gilpin E.Ward 10b 1118

My guess is that, probably triggered by the passage of the legitimacy act, that Thomas finally decided he'ld get his b.cert sorted. I doubt there was any question of an inheritance. It's likely he, or his mum, had an address (or some other means of contact) for his dad.

Dea

Dea Report 25 Jan 2009 09:15

Thank you for the update Misty - how lovely to have found someone 'over there' who not only shares your family but also your interest in researching it.

I am sure you will will find out a great deal more now.

I have just spent ages re-reading all this - didn't we have some fun ?????

I wonder what Margaret is having for supper tonight?

Nice to see it was all worthwhile.

Keep in touch,

Dea x

jansmith

jansmith Report 25 Jan 2009 07:50

What a lovely end to a search.
Hope you can meet them one day.I am sure you will be having many phone conversations!

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 24 Jan 2009 22:38

Hi All

I have just had my first phone call from...Canada.

Ida Fallowfield, wife of the late Gordon Fallowfield, Grandson of Thomas Fallowfield( 1859) and Margaret Kyle( 1860)..nephew of Isabella Fallowfield(1861) and so second cousin to my Thomas Fallowfield and Margaret W Gilpin( my GGrandma)..I think that's right !!

Gordon has gone a long way back with the tree, since his death in 2004, Ida has continued and was very keen to know more about "my" side of the family, as it appears, not a lot is known...she is on the phone as I type, trying to find more.

As it turn's out, next Saturday she is off to a "Fallowfield" reunion...and will be meeting up with the grandchildren of my GGrandma( Margaret Gilpin)

Well folk's, what can I say..except without all of you, none of this would have been possible.

A HUGE Thank You...what Gem's you are

Dea
Margaret Manson
Janice
Lost For Words
Jayne
Moira...for passanger details
mgnv...for phone numbers

Misty xx

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 11 Sep 2008 12:50

Janice..yes thank's..I have all birth cert's for Thomas and marriage cert for Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield and Margeret Wilhelminia Gilpin.

No trace of Thomas after his re reg in 1928 though

Misty x

jansmith

jansmith Report 11 Sep 2008 12:44

sure
you must have this on previous pageName: Thomas A Fallowfield
Year of Registration: 1906
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: West Ward
County: Westmorland
Volume: 10b
Page: 1329

Margaret Wilhelmina Gilpin

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 11 Sep 2008 12:43

Hi Janice...sorry didnt see your post before I replied,

Yes another ! this time in the name Gilpin...as you suggested..

Thank you for the info on Legitimacy act.

Misty x

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 11 Sep 2008 12:35

Not sure Margaret...thats what I was hoping, dont know any thing about Legitimacy act.Would there be a re reg if biological father acknowledged the birth at a later date, or could it be re reg in step father's name.

Misty x

jansmith

jansmith Report 11 Sep 2008 12:32

google it? taken this from
http://www.kessler.co.uk/dtwt/articles/Barlow_Children_and_Issue.html

Legitimacy Act 1926 Legitimacy Act 1959 Legitimacy Act 1976.

Legitimation was first introduced, with effect from January 1, 1927, by the Legitimacy Act 1926. Section l(l) of the Act introduced the concept (long established in civil law jurisdictions) of legitimation by the subsequent marriage of the parents of the illegitimate child. Section 1(2), however, contained a bar on legitimation where either of the parents was married to a third party at the time of the birth of the illegitimate child (s. 8 also expressly extended the circumstances in which legitimation under foreign law would be recognised). The Act made consequential modifications affecting the property rights of children legitimated under section 1, including the introduction by section 3(l)(b) and (4) of a rule of construction to the effect that in dispositions "coming into operation" after the date of legitimation (and subject to any contrary intention expressed in such disposition) a legitimated child and his spouse, children or remoter issue were to be entitled to take any interest as if the legitimated child had been born legitimate This formula allowed for only one legitimated person in the chain of succession. Thus a gift to the grandchildren of A would entitle the legitimated child of a legitimate child of A or a legitimate child of a legitimated child of A to take, but not a legitimated child of a legitimated child. The modification -of the rules of construction contained in section 3(l)(b) operated only on dispositions coming into operation after the date of legitimation. The Act did not in terms state whether a will was deemed to "come into operation" on the date of its execution or the date of the testator's death. This point has never arisen for decision, but it is clear from dicta in Re Hepworth's that it is the latter.

jansmith

jansmith Report 11 Sep 2008 12:30

did he need this to be able to make a claim to a will i wonder

jansmith

jansmith Report 11 Sep 2008 12:28

so another birth index then!
Thomas Fallowfield
mothers maiden name Gilpin
district E Ward
vol 10b
page 1118
Apr-Jun quarter 1928

Margee

Margee Report 11 Sep 2008 12:24

Misty, does that have something to do with when his father acknowledged him as his son and he was re-registered under his father's name?

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 11 Sep 2008 11:13

Hi All,

Just thought I would update(for those interested) and ask yet another question!!!!

Recived birth cert today for Thomas Fallowfield (1905)..in the name Gilpin....

17.9.1905, Gallaber Marton R.D, Thomas, Boy, (no father named), Mother, Margaret Wilhelminia Gilpin..domestic servant, informant..Hannah Lockfield..occupier Gallaber Marton, 28.10.1905.

On the right hand side of cert it say's...Re registered under the Legitimacy Act 1926, on 4.4.1928.

What could/ does this mean?...Please

Regards
Misty x

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 30 Aug 2008 18:18

Hi Margaret,

No that hasnt been posted before(I know just about every word on this thread hee hee) so thats wonderful
Thank you so much.

Misty xx

Margee

Margee Report 30 Aug 2008 18:09

Hi Misty,
The thread is so long now I don't fancy reading it all again so this one might already have been posted:

FALLOWFIELD _ Laurence H. "Brick" born in South Vancouver, B.C. on September 6, 1910
passed away in Surrey, B.C. on July 31, 2004. Survived by his loving family, wife
Doreen; two daughters, Merrily (George) and Coleen and four grandchildren. Special
thanks to Bel Air / Fleetwood for their care and kindness. No service by request. Chapel
Hill 604-531-4222

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 30 Aug 2008 18:01

Hi LFW,

Thank you so much for the info and the web address, will take a look.

Regards
Misty xx