Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Needed Re Canada....BIG UPDATE !!

Page 2 + 1 of 8

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margee

Margee Report 12 Aug 2008 18:12

You're most welcome, Misty. I think Dea will agree with me, that was fun! What an interesting family!
Marg

Dea

Dea Report 12 Aug 2008 18:28

Fun indeed !!

It was a pleasure working with you again Margaret !!

Misty - Come back to us with any questions when you have 'digested it' - it will take a while.

MUST go and 'salvage' spaghetti bolognaise for 'hubby' !

Best of luck - back later.

Dea x

Margee

Margee Report 12 Aug 2008 18:32

Mmm! Spaghetti bolognaise sounds good!
Just wondering what to do for supper. Handy being 5 hours behind you.
Marg

jansmith

jansmith Report 12 Aug 2008 18:53

Just looked back in what "interesting reading!"

Dea

Dea Report 12 Aug 2008 19:03

Well - Margaret - It REALLY was delicious !!

However - because I was on here and not paying attention I didn't realise that instead of getting a bolognaise sauce (I had prepared earlier) out of the freezer, I had got out a 'Spicy Pork Dish' that I had also cooked and frozen !!.

However, I actually think it went with the spaghetti rather better (and my husband agreed) !

Cooked also some 'fresh' garlick bread' - DOUBLE yum !! - My mouth is still tingling !!

Anyway - success there - How are we doing on here ??

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 12 Aug 2008 19:18

Well - we are doing well so far but let's not forget the other Thomas that I think Janice may have found, then Margaret found again in Canada!

Must be related !!

This is still very 'tangled'.

Come back to us when you get the cert !

Dea x

Margee

Margee Report 12 Aug 2008 19:42

Oh! Look what I found here:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/fallowfield/messages/65.html

Re: Fallowfield's, Grayrigg & Crackenthorpe
Posted by: kathy burgar (ID *****1714) Date: January 31, 2003 at 16:06:40
In Reply to: Fallowfield's, Grayrigg & Crackenthorpe by Gordon Fallowfield of 90

Gordon
have and interest in unusual names. Was reading a history of White Rock BC Canda and found the name Fallowfield, so looked up the name on this forum.
In the book"Along the Way..." by Margaret Hastings, An account of pioneering in White Rock and Surrounding ditricts in British Columbia mentions the name as follows

Robert Fallowfield and brother Thomas (second name Atkinson for their mother's family) came from the English town of Appleby near Manchester in 1881 and after working in Toronto for a while, crossed the country via the US to the west coast and to Victoria, BC. Seeking Land, the young men then went to New Westminster and in the summer of 1883 found their way to where they settled in Surrey, Thomas with 160 acres on the north side of Brown Road west of Coast Meridian and Robert on 160 acres alongside on the east side of Coast Meridian Road.
In the course of time Robert married Miss Frances Ann Parr on 21 June 1887. Borthers later moved to Kensington Prairie. Robert had four girls Jennie, Edna, Clara and Mary Alice and one boy Richard. Robert died in May 1944, Frances in Sept 1939 Children still alive in 1981 when book written. Alice living in Cloverdale ,Dick born 23 june 1889 on family homestead.
Thomas Fallowfield married Maggie Kyle from eastern Canada and had five children Flora, Walter, Charles, Frank and Alfred. Thomas died 14 July 1951, Wife died 14 Jan 1934. All childred still alive when book written.
There is a bit more info and some Pictures. If this is your family , I am happy to copy them and send them to you. Kathy

Notify Administrator about this message? Followups:

No followups yet

Margee

Margee Report 12 Aug 2008 19:54

Robert's marriage:

Vital Event Marriage Registration

Groom Name: Robert A Fallowfield
Bride Name: Frances Ann Parr

Event Date: 1887 7 21 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Event Place: New Westminster District

Reg. Number: 1887-09-114458
B.C. Archives Microfilm Number: B11381
GSU Microfilm Number: 1983709

Dea

Dea Report 12 Aug 2008 20:00

Well done Margaret!

I saw something about that book title on a site earlier today but I can't for the life of me find it now !

My brain is a bit 'addled' now !

Signing off for now but will check back on what you have found in the morning.

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 12 Aug 2008 20:26

Just HAD to post these 2 sites before I go to bed !!

http://members.shaw.ca/j.a.brown/ParrFamily.html

http://members.shaw.ca/j.a.brown/SchoolsTo1900.html

This is just SSooo interesting !! but my eyes are 'closing down' and I am having 3-year old grand-daughter for the day tomorrow so need to get some sleep !!

Nite nite all - enjoy !

Dea x

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 12 Aug 2008 20:53

Hi...I'm finally back, having cooked supper for my friend and her two 10yr old boy's(who are staying with me for a few day's) they decided it would be good to "hog" my computer till bed time.....

Blimey seem's not many people in my family did"the marriage thing" so glad my mum broke the cycle...as she and her mother( first daughter of Margaret Gilpin) were also illegitamate, both fostered by the same family in Shap, Westmorland.

I have read through the thread...but will take me a little while to sort it all out and digest it.(still rather slow at this)

I really am so grateful for all this info, I keep saying the same thing but I cannot believe how much time you have all spent on this for me.

Would also like to thank Janice for her help, sorry I missed your posting's earlier it was just a quick glance.

Ok off to take another look.

Misty xx

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 12 Aug 2008 20:56

Night night Dea...dont think I shall get much sleep tonight!! this is all far to exciting...never thought I would find Margaret.

Misty xx

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 12 Aug 2008 21:22

Hi again....so am I right in thinking I should get birth cert's for..

Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield..1905

Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield..1882..father of above

Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield..1859..uncle of Thomas above.

And I shall get marriage of Margaret and Thomas..1906.

Any more I need to get ?

Misty xx

Margee

Margee Report 12 Aug 2008 21:22

How interesting, Dea. Did you notice photos of some of the Fallowfield children in the schools section?
(My spaghetti bolognese is bubbling away)

Dea

Dea Report 13 Aug 2008 07:43

Good morning all!

Yes Margaret - I saw the photos - Wasn't it lovely to find all this - I wish I could find something so interesting on 'my' family !

I wonder what today will bring? - For me, it will bring my beautiful grand-daughter for the day so I won't get much done on here and by the time she goes home I am usually totally exhausted - 3 year old's really do wear you out. - WELL worth it though as she is such a joy !!!

Hope you enjoyed your meal.

Dea x

Misty, with regard to which certs to get - I should take a few days to go through the info you now have and then decide which line you want to go along - this could cost you a fortune if you jump straight in and buy them all.

Hope you managed to sleep.

Dea x

Margee

Margee Report 13 Aug 2008 14:37

Morning all but I guess it's afternoon for you over there.
I just came across this marriage on BVRI. He's the brother of the 1860 Thomas and it confirms father's name as Richard Atkinson.

ATKINSON FALLOWFIELD, William Marriage
Wife: Hannah ROBINSON
Marriage Date: 16 Nov 1882 Recorded in: Long Marton, Westmorland, England
Husband's Father: Richard ATKINSON
Wife's Father: Robert ROBINSON
Source: FHL Film 1471873 Dates: 1810 - 1900

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 13 Aug 2008 18:56

Hi Dea

Hope you had a lovely day with your granddaughter, I have four grandchildren and I agree they are such a joy...two were here to stay last week and two are here staying next week...busy busy!!

Thankyou for those sites...I finally managed to take a look today(got my computer back as boy's gone home now)
Was so lovely to read it all and see the photos...It's all so exciting...hard to take it all in in one go, I have to keep going back and reading over again.

Misty xx

I did get some sleep last night..lol

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 13 Aug 2008 19:13

Hi Margaret,

Hope your well today...think I'm getting the gist of all this info now...have so many "bit's" of paper on the go..will sort in time no doubt

Am I right in thinking that because all Jane's children were illegitamate they were given the father's name(Richard Atkinson) as a middle name?

Misty xx

Dea

Dea Report 13 Aug 2008 19:13

Yes - lovely day but SSoooo exhausted now!

Take your time to look through the sites and the info, then, when you are ready, come back to us if you need help to follow it through.

Get in touch when you are ready!

Dea x

Margee

Margee Report 13 Aug 2008 19:45

Hi fellow grandmas, my 6 year old grandaughter has just left after a short visit. I have 2 of them, a 9 year old and 6 year old. As you say, real treasures!
Yes, Misty, I think that all of Jane's children were fathered by Richard Atkinson and were given his name as a middle name. I think there must have been some reason that Richard & Jane couldn't marry. Perhaps he was already married?
I've just gone back to page 1 of this thread to read it all through again and try to get it straight in my mind.
Now the 1905 Thomas was living with his family on the 1911 census in Canada. They were all born in England except for the 2 youngest children born in Canada. I wonder if the whole family moved back to England? We can't find any of their deaths in Canada.
Another question, Misty, you said your grandmother was born 1901 and fostered out. Her mother was Margaret Gilpin, was her father also Thomas Fallowfield?
What am I going to make for supper tonight, Dea?
Marg