Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Needed Re Canada....BIG UPDATE !!

Page 3 + 1 of 8

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 13 Aug 2008 20:44

Well Margaret - I did a 'chinese' !!

Left over Beef - stir fried with carrots (VERY finely sliced), spring onion, ginger, garlic - a little sesame oil - five spice, sazchuan - Chinese Rice wine, soy and lemon.
Served with egg fried rice, - freshly deep fried prawn crackers - served in bowls and eaten with chopsticks!!

You are 5 hours behind so plenty of time to 'sort it' !!!

Enjoy............

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 13 Aug 2008 20:53

P.S. - Little grandaughter found the 'left-over' Garlick bread from last night and decided she REALLY liked it so, - sent her home 'reeking' of garlic (tee hee) hope her mum is still talking to me!!

Dea x

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 13 Aug 2008 20:58

Hi again, Just had a bit of a blow....my lovely friend in Cumbria, who I told all about this last night, went to the Reg office today (as a suprise for me)and collected a copy of marriage cert for Thomas Atkinson and Margaret Wilhelminia.....

They married June 4th 1906 in Crosby Ravensworth,Westmorland.Thomas was a husbandman of Long Martan, his father is given as James Fallowfield, a blacksmith.
It is the right cert as all the info is correct for Margaret,she has put cert in the post so should have it tomorrow...not that it will have changed overnight..
Not sure what to think now..

Margaret to answer your question..my grandmother,Minnie was fostered by the Mounsey family in Shap,Westmorland and there is no father named on her birth cert...so I really have no idea on that one.

Misty xx

Dea

Dea Report 13 Aug 2008 21:02

Don't panic !!

It will still be the same family !

When you get the cert - give us ALL the details and we will work on it!
(It just might get even more interesting !!?)
Dea x

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 13 Aug 2008 21:13

Hi Dea

I did panic..your right..and after all the hard work you have all done on this, I thought OH NO...

So glad to hear it may still be ok and Thankyou.
Will be in touch when cert arrives.

My little ones love garlic bread too, and the baby is only 17 mth old !!

Misty xx

Margee

Margee Report 13 Aug 2008 21:33

Oh Dea, if I follow your example tonight I'd have to go out shopping again and I just got home from shopping. Besides which I never did learn how to use chopsticks and at my age probably never will. You're quite the gourmet cook, aren't you?
Misty, I wouldn't worry too much about that marriage certificate. I found the illegitimate children in my tree always gave a false name for their father on their marriage certificate even though I had their birth certificates with no father named. Such a shame that they were so embarassed to be illegitimate! (Gosh, I hate that word! Love child is so much nicer.)

Margee

Margee Report 13 Aug 2008 22:57

The only James Fallowfield that I can see on the 1901 census was 56 years old, born 1848, Orton and is living with his brother & wife, Thomas & Mary I. in Long Marton. Thomas was born 1852, Orton and was a farmer. James' occupation is just listed as farmer's brother.

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 13 Aug 2008 23:56

Hi

Isabella Atkinson Fallowfield..1861
Mother..Jane Fallowfield..1829..age 32yr
Unmarried with 7 other children, cannot read occupation

Jane still unmarried, Isabel A Fallowfield..10yr
Living at Elaphant Inn, Brockham? Innkeeper !!

Isabel, farm servant, with brother Robert for George and Jane Bird

Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield, living with George and Jane Bird..8yr..grandson
Isabel not on here.
(see page 1 of this thread..post from Janice)

I think maybe Thomas is the son of Isabel and she is the daughter of Jane who married George Bird after having all her children?
I cannot find a James either only the one you found Margaret.

Look's like it could be the same family after all

Misty xx

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 14 Aug 2008 00:02

Just found marriage for George Bird and Jane Fallowfield...1877, 1st quater,East Ward,Westmorland.

Misty xx

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 14 Aug 2008 00:17

Thomas A Hallowpell (Fallowfield) still living with George and Jane Bird..grandson..18yr
Kirkby Thore, Westmorland.

What do you think please, could this be the right family?

Tonight is the night I get no sleep, I think..

Misty xx

Margee

Margee Report 14 Aug 2008 01:27

In 1861 Jane Fallowfield's occupation is annuitant meaning she's receiving a pension of sorts. Could it be that Richard Atkinson has just died and left her an annuity?
Notice, too that she's living next door to the Elephant Inn. 10 years later she's the innkeeper there.
Yes, I agree that Thomas is the son of Isabel who is the daughter of Jane Fallowfield and Richard Atkinson.

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 14 Aug 2008 01:56

Sorry I deleted...wrong info...going at it like a bull in a china shop now...think I need some sleep.

Night night...thank's again for your help

Misty xx

Margee

Margee Report 14 Aug 2008 11:59

There's a tree on Rootsweb with your 1859 Thomas Fallowfield but nothing on the 1882 Thomas.

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=REG&db=ldyk171&id=I06683

Dea

Dea Report 14 Aug 2008 12:48

Hi Margaret,

I think she is still in bed catching up with sleep! (Look what we are responsible for! tee hee!)

Anyway, - I have been working on this since 7.30 (talk about obsessed !!) - it is now nearly 1pm here - must go and do lunch......

I haven't posted anything as I have gone off on another tangent and it has got even more 'tangled', but interesting! - If I post now, it won't make sense and is not yet relevant to where we are heading so I will get it 'sorted' and then post the info.

Speak later,

Dea x

Margee

Margee Report 14 Aug 2008 13:18

I'm like you, Dea, obsessed with this one!
Now you've aroused my curiosity. What bag of worms are you opening now?
Poor Misty! We've already told her that almost her whole family were illegitimate!
Marg

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 14 Aug 2008 14:50

Good Afternoon Both,

Saddly I'm not still in bed, had to go out this morning at 8.30..after turning comp off at 4.40 am.
Your comment's about being obsessed made me smile(sorry to do that to you both) but I'm so grateful for your help with this one
I'm not at all embarrassed by the illegitimacy (although it must have been shameful back then, which is such a shame!).

The marriage cert has arrived today.....

June 4th 1906, Parish Church, Crosby Ravensworth,Westmorland.

Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield, 23yr ,Bachelor, Husbandman of Long Martan,Westmorland, Father's name James Fallowfield, Blacksmith.

Margaret Wilhelminia Gilpin, 22yr, Spinster of Crosby Ravensworth, Father's name Robert Gilpin, Labourer.( all correct)

Witnesses..Alfred Hodgson Gilpin (Margaret's brother) and Mary Elizabeth Twentyman ??

Margaret just had a look at the tree os Rootsweb, what a shame no mention of Thomas.

Dea I'm intrigued now..I'm not afraid of worms...

Misty xx

Margee

Margee Report 14 Aug 2008 15:17

4:40 am? Misty? I hope you're having an afternoon nap right now.

There's another tree here:

http://www.wardjc.com/people/p000013u.htm#I16253

I see brother Richard Atkinson Fallowfield ended up down under.

Dea

Dea Report 14 Aug 2008 15:22

OOOhh Margaret - these are all the names I have been following!!

My head is bursting with Ward's Atkinson's, Joel's Hodgson's, Fallowfield's - they ALL connect!!

Grrrrrrrrrr

Going to have a large brandy then will come back !

Dea x

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 14 Aug 2008 15:39

Hi Again

No, no nap's..to excited to sleep!!

Dea...think I need to buy you both a very large bottle of the finest brandy after all this.....

I have just spoken to the GRO re Thomas(1905) birth cert as I could not find a page no for it.It show's as a hand written add on and is now on order along with one for Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield(1882).
5 working day's is a life time to wait for them to arrive....

Thankyou Margaret...off to have a look at that tree now.

Misty xx

Margee

Margee Report 14 Aug 2008 15:41

A large brandy, Dea? The sun isn't over the yardarm yet! Whatever that means, one of my dear old dad's sayings.
These grandmother's are all going to pot! Misty staying up all night, now you hitting the bottle and all of us obsessed with this family!
Marg