Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Needed Re Canada....BIG UPDATE !!

Page 6 + 1 of 8

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margee

Margee Report 18 Aug 2008 18:19

That's wonderful, Misty! That matches the family that I found on the 1911 census in Canada with another 2 children born in Canada. I still think that they must have decided to go back to England, we can't find any of their deaths in Canada.
I wonder why they didn't bring your grandmother with them? Although we don't know that Thomas was her father but we do know that Margaret Wilhelmina was her mother.

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 18 Aug 2008 18:55

Hi Margaret,

I cant find any death's in England either,..unless Thomas came back on his own in 1928..he would have been 23 yr then! I have been looking for a marriage for him...unless he married a Canadian lady of course, and she came back with him!
No clue as to why my grandmother was not taken with them...maybe Thomas A didnt know Margaret W had another child or wouldnt accept because she wasnt his!!

What a puzzle this is !!!!

Where's Dea this evening, with the menu....

Misty xx

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 18 Aug 2008 19:07

Just reading back over again...look's like Margaret W could have died in Canada...Dea found a death that ties in with dob....page 1

Misty xx

Margee

Margee Report 19 Aug 2008 00:00

Yes, you're right. Misty, I forgot about that. This thread is just getting too long! I'm sure that's the right Margaret who died in 1972. So the family must have remained in Canada?
Marg

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 24 Aug 2008 11:33

Good Morning All,

Just though I would pop on to update you (family have gone out for a couple of hour's)

I received the cert's yesterday(even the grandchildren picked up my excitement)

Big disappointment on the 1905 one for Thomas, it's the same one I received for the 1928 date!!
Maybe(as Janice say's on page 1) he was registered
under Gilpin in 1905 and only took the Fallowfield name in 28. I shall follow that up on Tuesday.
Although not been doing any work on my tree for a good few day's...still baffled why I cannot find him in England after 1928, think a trip to the local record's office is in order on my next visit "up north" in late September.

Now the second one.....Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield, ninth of October, 1882, confirm's mother as Isabel Atkinson Fallowfield...no father named(so no idea who the James Fallowfield on Thomas marriage cert is or why he's named on there!)....but the bit I think is fantastic...Jane Bird is the informant...so still think Jane married George Bird, having had all her children...including Isabel!
Hopefully a day in the RO will shed some more light on the family...maybe even why Jane never married Robert Atkinson!
I cannot read the rest of the cert, places etc..handwriting dreadful!

Hope you are all well and the weather is good where you are, it's been quite nice here, managed to get to the beach a couple of day's and the children have been in a pool every day so they are happy! They are so lovely I'm dreading them going home....although I am quite exhausted....as I'm sure you grandma's will understand!

Misty xx

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 30 Aug 2008 15:17

Hi Margaret, Dea and All

Yet another request! Please could someone have a look for anything regarding children and their families of Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield and Margaret Wilhelminia Fallowfield.....in Canada

Edna May Fallowfield..1906..Born in Penrith,Cumberland England...Emigrated to Canada..1907..married John Finlayson, 22.10.1930.

Robert S Fallowfield..1908..Born in British Columbia

Lawrence H Fallowfield..1910..Born in British Columbia.

There is a LH Fallowfield in Canadian phone books, 1995-2002 on Ancestry but I do not have worldwide sub's.

I would like to try and trace any living relatives of these people to make contact, see if they can tell me more about my ggrandma!

I am still looking for Thomas Fallowfield 1905(son of above) in England..waiting for a birth cert in the name Gilpin!! fingers crossed it's the right one!

Many Thanks
Misty xx

There is a death....British Columbia Death Index for a Robert S Fallowfield..1979?

Lost for Words ;-)

Lost for Words ;-) Report 30 Aug 2008 15:41

British Columbia Death Index: 1872 to 1979 about Robert S Fallowfield
Name: Robert S Fallowfield
Death Date: 29 Nov 1979
Place of Death: Vancouver
Registration #: 1979-09-018238
BCA #: B13600
GSU #: 2051384

Lost for Words ;-)

Lost for Words ;-) Report 30 Aug 2008 15:47

Hi Misty

http://www.whitepages.ca/

Online Canadian phone book, very useful :-)

Regards
LfW

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 30 Aug 2008 18:01

Hi LFW,

Thank you so much for the info and the web address, will take a look.

Regards
Misty xx

Margee

Margee Report 30 Aug 2008 18:09

Hi Misty,
The thread is so long now I don't fancy reading it all again so this one might already have been posted:

FALLOWFIELD _ Laurence H. "Brick" born in South Vancouver, B.C. on September 6, 1910
passed away in Surrey, B.C. on July 31, 2004. Survived by his loving family, wife
Doreen; two daughters, Merrily (George) and Coleen and four grandchildren. Special
thanks to Bel Air / Fleetwood for their care and kindness. No service by request. Chapel
Hill 604-531-4222

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 30 Aug 2008 18:18

Hi Margaret,

No that hasnt been posted before(I know just about every word on this thread hee hee) so thats wonderful
Thank you so much.

Misty xx

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 11 Sep 2008 11:13

Hi All,

Just thought I would update(for those interested) and ask yet another question!!!!

Recived birth cert today for Thomas Fallowfield (1905)..in the name Gilpin....

17.9.1905, Gallaber Marton R.D, Thomas, Boy, (no father named), Mother, Margaret Wilhelminia Gilpin..domestic servant, informant..Hannah Lockfield..occupier Gallaber Marton, 28.10.1905.

On the right hand side of cert it say's...Re registered under the Legitimacy Act 1926, on 4.4.1928.

What could/ does this mean?...Please

Regards
Misty x

Margee

Margee Report 11 Sep 2008 12:24

Misty, does that have something to do with when his father acknowledged him as his son and he was re-registered under his father's name?

jansmith

jansmith Report 11 Sep 2008 12:28

so another birth index then!
Thomas Fallowfield
mothers maiden name Gilpin
district E Ward
vol 10b
page 1118
Apr-Jun quarter 1928

jansmith

jansmith Report 11 Sep 2008 12:30

did he need this to be able to make a claim to a will i wonder

jansmith

jansmith Report 11 Sep 2008 12:32

google it? taken this from
http://www.kessler.co.uk/dtwt/articles/Barlow_Children_and_Issue.html

Legitimacy Act 1926 Legitimacy Act 1959 Legitimacy Act 1976.

Legitimation was first introduced, with effect from January 1, 1927, by the Legitimacy Act 1926. Section l(l) of the Act introduced the concept (long established in civil law jurisdictions) of legitimation by the subsequent marriage of the parents of the illegitimate child. Section 1(2), however, contained a bar on legitimation where either of the parents was married to a third party at the time of the birth of the illegitimate child (s. 8 also expressly extended the circumstances in which legitimation under foreign law would be recognised). The Act made consequential modifications affecting the property rights of children legitimated under section 1, including the introduction by section 3(l)(b) and (4) of a rule of construction to the effect that in dispositions "coming into operation" after the date of legitimation (and subject to any contrary intention expressed in such disposition) a legitimated child and his spouse, children or remoter issue were to be entitled to take any interest as if the legitimated child had been born legitimate This formula allowed for only one legitimated person in the chain of succession. Thus a gift to the grandchildren of A would entitle the legitimated child of a legitimate child of A or a legitimate child of a legitimated child of A to take, but not a legitimated child of a legitimated child. The modification -of the rules of construction contained in section 3(l)(b) operated only on dispositions coming into operation after the date of legitimation. The Act did not in terms state whether a will was deemed to "come into operation" on the date of its execution or the date of the testator's death. This point has never arisen for decision, but it is clear from dicta in Re Hepworth's that it is the latter.

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 11 Sep 2008 12:35

Not sure Margaret...thats what I was hoping, dont know any thing about Legitimacy act.Would there be a re reg if biological father acknowledged the birth at a later date, or could it be re reg in step father's name.

Misty x

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 11 Sep 2008 12:43

Hi Janice...sorry didnt see your post before I replied,

Yes another ! this time in the name Gilpin...as you suggested..

Thank you for the info on Legitimacy act.

Misty x

jansmith

jansmith Report 11 Sep 2008 12:44

sure
you must have this on previous pageName: Thomas A Fallowfield
Year of Registration: 1906
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: West Ward
County: Westmorland
Volume: 10b
Page: 1329

Margaret Wilhelmina Gilpin

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 11 Sep 2008 12:50

Janice..yes thank's..I have all birth cert's for Thomas and marriage cert for Thomas Atkinson Fallowfield and Margeret Wilhelminia Gilpin.

No trace of Thomas after his re reg in 1928 though

Misty x