Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William A Plaice

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Apr 2009 19:57

Trying to find birth record for the above, have found his marriage in 1918 to my father's mother and his death in 1920 but cannot trace birth record or even find him in any of the census. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 6 Apr 2009 20:01

For ref, because geography can help considerably.

Marriages Sep 1918
French James D Hardy Middlesbro 9d 1167
Hardy Margaret A French Middlesbrough 9d 1167
Lowery Frances M Plaice Middlesbro 9d 1167
Plaice William A Lowery Middlesbro 9d 1167

For finding his birth record, it could also help to know his full name - you'll have to get the marriage certificate for that.

The cert will also give his father's name, which might make it possible to find him in a census.

David

David Report 6 Apr 2009 20:02

What age does the Death cert give?

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 6 Apr 2009 20:04

Could he have been a member of the Canadian or US military in England at the end of the war?

The marriage certificate would also give his occupation, which could tell you if that was the case.

edit - checked Canadian WWI enrolment records --

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-100.01-e.php

-- but he's not there.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 6 Apr 2009 20:05

William Addison plaice was 34 when he enlisted in the territorial army in 1915 Middlesborough

David

David Report 6 Apr 2009 20:14

He states he is a British Subject.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 6 Apr 2009 20:16

Just to note that a Canadian would likely have said "British Subject", but there's no record of a William Plaice birth at Ancestry.ca, i.e. in Ontario or British Columbia.

Other provinces would have to be searched at their own online databases, but only about half of the provinces have these on line.

David

David Report 6 Apr 2009 20:23

He states his next of kin as a Mrs Frances Lowery, 7 Marl Street, Middlesbro.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 6 Apr 2009 20:33

And that's who he married in 1918 -- Frances Lowery. ;)

Choccy

Choccy Report 6 Apr 2009 20:35

Possibly

Marriages Mar 1904 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dover William Kipling Middlesbro' 9d 746
Harker Laura Middlesbro' 9d 746
LOWERY George Graham Middlesbro' 9d 746
Simpson Joseph Thomas Middlesbro' 9d 746
WEBLEY Frances Mary Middlesbro' 9d 746

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 6 Apr 2009 20:37

I've PMed Jacqueline to ask her to return to her thread.

Jacqueline, could you please offer up the info you have?

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 6 Apr 2009 20:39

Beat me to that Lowery-Webley marriage!

Births Mar 1925
Plaice Harry J (mother Webley) Middlesbro' 9d 871

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Apr 2009 20:41

Sorry I was away from my computer for a while. William A Plaice's age at date of death in M'Bro was 50. He did indeed marry Frances Mary Lowery in 1918. I have looked through the bmd's on this site and free bmd but cannot trace his birth at all. In 1901 census I have found a William Plaice but living in London.

Thank you all for your help it is much appreciated.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Apr 2009 20:44

Hi Everyone

Harry J Plaice is my father. The mystery we have is if we are correct and William Plaice died in 1920 then he cannot have been my dad's dad!! Mu dad's middle name is Jackson so I wonder if she may have had a relationship with someone called Jackson. My dad was actually born in December 1924.

Many thanks to everyone.

Jackie

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 6 Apr 2009 20:46

To put that together: died in 1920 at age 50. So born c1870.

So the Plaice-Webley birth in 1925 could not be his son. Odd coincidence of names though.

Oops, crossed in the post. William Addison Plaice is stated as your dad's father on his birth cert?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Apr 2009 20:52

Hi EavieBeavie

On my father's birth certificate there is no father's name. This is were it really goes awry. It does look as though we will have to concentrate on his mother's side of the family. I grew up with thw knowledge that my dad had 2 brothers and one sister. We have found the sister but not the brother, his name was Charles Plaice and he lived in Middlesbrough and died about 1987. This is another birth record I can't find.

I am also finding lots out on my mother's side of the family, Roper, although there are wide gaps in this one as well.

Anyway once again thanks for all your help.

Jackie

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 6 Apr 2009 20:53

Jacqueline, you really have to get the 1918 marriage cert to get a handle on William's details -- age, occupation, father. That's the only way you can know whether he is likely the William who died in 1920.

It seems like he wasn't.

The William who enrolled in 1915, and gave Frances as his next of kin, was 34 years old, i.e. born c. 1880-1.

The William who died in 1920 was 50 years old, i.e. born c1870. That doesn't match.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Apr 2009 20:55

Hi EavieBeavie

You are right. I will have to get the marriage certificate and hopefully go from there.

This has become really interesting as my siblings and I grew up without really knowing either side of our parents families, except for my grandparents on the Roper side.

Jackie

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 6 Apr 2009 20:57

1911 census

PLACE FRANCES F 1885 26 Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding

No one named Place is living with her. But I wonder whether she and William weren't already living together at that point.

Births Sep 1885
Webley Frances Mary Richmond, Y. 9d 673

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 6 Apr 2009 20:59

Hi EvieBeavie

I don't think that is the right Frances as the surname is spelt different. My Uncle Charlie also married a Frances so this one might be her.