Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LOOKING FOR JAMES HENRY MACK

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks Report 6 Sep 2009 19:49

Would someone be kind enough to look for a James Henry Mack possibly born about 1837 in London, he is shown as a Carpenter on his son's marriage certificate in 1906 and the address for his son is 465 Kingsland Road Hackney.

Many thanks Sandra x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Sep 2009 19:57

what is the son's name?

That is probably the best way to identify your James Henyr Mack on a census orior to 1906

sylvia

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Sep 2009 19:58

Who is the son and when was he born etc would be useful

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks Report 6 Sep 2009 20:09

Thank you for your response.

This is a difficult one:

William Henry Greengrass (his son) was born illegitimately in 1880 to Alice Greengrass, I have his birth cert but it does not show his father's name. He lived with Alice and her mother but believe (from my late mother) that he ran away to sea or maybe to find his father. William married my gran in 1906 and his name had been changed to James William Mack on the marriage cert nand his father's name was James Henry Mack so I believe he took his father's name. His father is mentioned as a carpenter, that is all I know about him.

William was born at Hackney Union Infirmary

Regards

Sandra

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Sep 2009 20:43

I'm just trying to get my head around the family

In 1881 William is living with Alice and her mother Mary A

In 1891 William is living with his grandmother Mary A, and her daughter Emily

Where is Alice ........ has she married by this time? Do you know what her married name was?

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Sep 2009 20:47

It looks as if Mary died in 1893

Deaths Jun 1893 (>99%)

Greengrass Mary 61 Hackney 1b 337

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Sep 2009 20:54

how do you know this story??

have you proved that it is correct??

I have found a James William Mack with father James Henry Mack who is a slater (not carpenter) ........... but they are living together in Farnborough, Hampshire, on the 1891 Census, when William Henry Greengrass is living in Hackney with his grandmother Mary.

sylvia

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks Report 6 Sep 2009 20:56

Hi Sylvia

Yes, Alice married a Charles McDonald in 1884 and they went on to have children of their own, I don't think William ever lived with them. It looks as though his grandmother Mary Ann brought him up.

As i mentioned previously he married my gran in 1906.

Many thanks

Sandra

Hollyhocks

Hollyhocks Report 6 Sep 2009 21:02

Sylvia

This story was told to me by my late mother.....her 2 step sisters were the children of William.......when he died in 1914 on the HMS Cressy my gran remarried his half brother Frederick.

Gets a bit confusing really but is all true !!

The problem is because he was born illigitimately and his father was not mentioned on the birth cert I guess it may be difficult to find out who the father was although he is mentioned on William's marriage cert to my nan as James Henry Mack