Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TRYING TO FIND --------- TIPS FOR USING

Page 0 + 1 of 25

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Dec 2009 22:49

I notice that there are lots of people posting messages asking if anyone knows living person xxxxxx or yyyyyy.

Your chance of someone who knows a living person just happening by and reading your message is minimal.

My home page tells me that GR claims it has over 10 million members ............... that number has stayed the same since it first appeared back in February this year.

Most of those members are probably free, and as such cannot reply on the Community Boards, even if they know about them

I would hazard a guess that possibly as much as 90% of the 10 million are in fact no longer active on the site.

I would further hazard a guess that only a few hundred ever look at the Community

Most of those of us who browse the Community Boards, including TTF, are members who have expertise in searching, have subscriptions to other sites that we are willing to use to help others, and have some time to spare.

Some one may be able to advise you how to go about searching for a living person .......... but I just want you to be aware that that is very probably the limit of the help.

It also does not help when you put your OWN name in the title

.......... the name of the person you are looking for should be there!

Also ............... please remember that GR does not inform you of postings made to your thread. The onus is on YOU to return to your thread to see if there have been any replies.

To do that ..... look to the left of your screen. There is a box headed TOOLS. In that is a heading MY THREADS. Click on that, and all the threads that you have started or on which you have posted will appear.

Just scroll through that listing until you find the thread you want to check.

To reply on the thread, scroll up to the the heading, just under it there is a purple rectangle with white lettering REPLY.

Click on that and a box will open in which you can type your message.

Then click on submit to post the message on the thread.

It is much better to reply on the thread, than send pms (personal messages) to other posters. That way, everyone who is trying to help can see all the information.

Finally ..... it really is not a good idea to have your full name on display. This is not a secure site. Go into your account. There should be a box headed Community Name, choose a name that you wish to have seen in full view.

EDIT Dec 11/09:-

Please don't delete as soon as you have been given information; such a waste of time. Helpers, please don't delete your postings either.

Threads are stored on GR computers, not your own, so you are not saving space on your hard drive by deleting threads or postings. Leaving them on the site means that the information can be found later, and may help other people way down the road.

Thanks for that one, Joytotheworld

Good luck to you all

sylvia

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 6 Dec 2009 01:40

And to you, Sylvia.

And to all of us. ;)

Luck is all we got, when we don't got a website that tells its users any of what you have!

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 6 Dec 2009 16:50

Always willing to nudge good advice.

One, two, three .................hup we go.

Robert

Robert Report 6 Dec 2009 17:58

n

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Dec 2009 01:32

n for the middle of the night folk

Derek

Derek Report 7 Dec 2009 09:56

Excellent Thread Sylvia...lots of very good points..I wonder how many people will read it?? Bit depressing really..lol..
Happy Christmas to us all!! xx

Derek

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Dec 2009 18:32

Thanks Derek

We all try putting up these Tips thread

....... and I fear most of them do indeed go unread

but we keep on trying don't we???

Merry Christmas to you also
xx

sylvia

sueCsuds

sueCsuds Report 7 Dec 2009 19:02

I read the board's load's and find all of them most helpfull, keep up the good work, your'e ll doing a great job

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Dec 2009 19:20

Thank you Sue!

that's a boost to my/our confidence!!!

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Dec 2009 01:47

n

straydog

straydog Report 8 Dec 2009 11:17

Hi sylvia thanks for the tips reminder and thanks for all that the people on this site do to help other's.
merry xmas and a happy new year to you all.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Dec 2009 19:01

Maria and straydog

Thank you both very much

I'm glad that you found the tips helpful.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you both

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Dec 2009 22:35

n for the late evneing crew

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Dec 2009 05:13

n

Robert

Robert Report 9 Dec 2009 13:19

I do try. I am trying.

SylviaInCanada