Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BROWNE, Anthony James (CB)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 16 Feb 2010 02:41

Am looking for parents of Anthony James Browne, Companion of the Order of the Bath b: 1791, d: 1855 Fareham, Hampshire. Married Martha Jannaway, daughter Elizabeth Martha 5/11/1850 at Droxford. (Believe he is descendant of Sir Anthony Browne 1500s who held many esteemed positions as righthand man to King Henry Viii.) Can't find parish records for Droxford where he may have been born or records about his involvement in building Palmerston Forts/Follies on Hampshire coastline. Would appreciate assistance for searching or validating information.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 16 Feb 2010 08:57

There was a posting re this recenty which I answered giving the following baptism info but the recipient seemed to think it was not the correct one !

It is the only one in the Hampshire Baptism Index 1752-1812

29 March 1792-Anthony James BROWN s Anthony and Bett at St Thomas Portsmouth age 13 mnths

They baptised 3 other children at St Thomas's
1781-William
1784-Mary Campion (Elizabeth's maiden name)
1787-Betty

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 16 Feb 2010 08:57

this census says he was born in SCOTLAND ?

1851 England Census about Elizabeth M Browne
Name: Elizabeth M Browne
Estimated birth year: abt 1850
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Anthony I
Mother's Name: Martha
Where born: Droxford, Hampshire, England
Civil parish: Droxford
Ecclesiastical parish: Shidfield St John
County/Island: Hampshire
Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability:

View image
Registration district: Droxford
Sub-registration district: Bishops Waltham
ED, institution, or vessel: 1c
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 128
Household Members:
Name Age
Anthony I Browne 58 born Glasgow Scotland
Martha Browne 33
John Browne 11
Anthony J C Browne 6
William F Browne 5
Elizabeth M Browne 5 Mo
Catherine Jaunaway 3 niecw
View
Original
Record

View original image

perhaps his marriage cert may give some clues to his fathers name?

Marriages Mar 1844 (>99%)
BROWNE Anthony James Droxford 7 115
Janaway Martha Droxford 7 115

There is a locked tree [Mustard family] on ancestry worth contacting

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 18 Feb 2010 01:35

Thanks for your search. Although it is generally believed that all the family came from the Viscounts Montague of Hampshire, I will try to check out the Glasgow connection.
I just have a couple of questions in interpreting the data and hope it is not too much to trouble you for a bit of further assistance by asking your experienced opinion. ”Anthony and Bett at St Thomas”, do you think this “Bett” is referring to a twin ? What conclusion could you draw from the baptism entry - ” 1784-Mary Campion (Elizabeth's maiden name)” ? Is this common - possibly a mature-age baptism in view of the maiden name entry? A former wife? I did send away for a marriage certificate, but the details did not match. I will now send for the above referenced certificate. Once again many thanks I do appreciate your time. M.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 18 Feb 2010 01:58

My Thoughts Hmmmm , how should I put this ?

I think it is not a good idea to try to join 2 people 200 years apart just because they share the same surname. He could have been born in Scotland for many reasons,but you need to find a fathers name if possible.and only trace backwards.

The baptism record may not be connected at all .

So you need his marriage cert for certain.

He's obviously much older than his wife, in fact they could both have been married before , the 11 year old was born before their marriage, so who's son was he ?

palmerston
Just read your question[fort wallington] on another site, perhaps The Times would have reported his death.?

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 18 Feb 2010 03:17

Lindsey
Thanks for your pointers.
Have had a quick look at the FreeBMD site for John Brown/e birth in 1840 - like looking for a needle in a haystack. But I will try again later. AND I will order that marriage certificate.
As to AJB's death falling from scaffolding - I will try to find a news item.

Many thanks.

M.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 18 Feb 2010 03:32

oh good, do tell us what you find,it's intriging !

boy might be Janaway ?

Births Mar 1840 (>99%)

Jannaway John Huskisson Droxford 7 66

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 18 Feb 2010 08:51

Yes-Campion was Elizabeth (Bett/Betty) maiden name

Marriage-22 July 1780 at Alverstoke
Anthony BROWN
Elizabeth CAMPION

Baptism
15 April 1840-John Huskisson JANAWAY s Martha at Wickham

I cannot see any other reference to the name HUSKINSSON in the Indexes I have --however there was an MP named William Huskinsson with interests in Hampshire !

Have you looked at the list of documents held at the Hampshire Record Office using their "CALM" database ?
If you put all these names in the search box some interesting results come up

Probably muddy the waters further !!

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 19 Feb 2010 05:42

Lindsey
I had a huge input from New Zealand yesterday with definite links to my grt grt grandmother ELizabeth Martha Browne. In return I provided a silhouette sketch/ likeness of Anthony J Browne engineer.
Really appreciate your interest. I know I find the Browne family tree interesting, but that is not necessarily the case for other people helping me!
I will definitely follow up your leads. Had a look earlier at HRO and there are quite a few documents relating to the Viscounts Montague at west sussex. But wasn't familiar with CALM.
Will get back to you in a little while after I have caught up with my social life.
M.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 19 Feb 2010 11:06

Brilliant, I'm not familiar with calm either I spent ages looking in all the wrong places.!
Social life ? next it will be housework !

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Feb 2010 14:01

There's this message on the Peerage.com:

Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:36 pm Post subject: ANTHONY JAMES BROWNE CB, Hampshire b:1791 d:1855

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANTHONY JAMES BROWNE CB, Hampshire

I am unable to find any information about my ancestor who was a civil engineer in Hampshire, England. He was born 1791 and died in 1855 in Fareham, Hampshire. I understand he was involved with the building of the Portsdown Hills Forts aka The Palmerston Follies. He may have received his Companion of the Order of the Bath in this regard. Apparently, he died by falling from scaffolding at the opening of Fort Wallington.

In particular I am looking for direct ancestors and proof that he is descended from Sir Anthony Browne who was the confidante to King Henry VIII.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

MHS

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Feb 2010 14:08

This from an online tree (Descendants of Benjamin Taulbut)

11. SAMUEL JESSE4 TAULBUT (JESSE JAMES3, BENJAMIN2, BENJAMIN1) was born Abt. 1851 in Fareham, Hampshire, England, and died Abt. 1895 in Fareham, Hampshire, England. He married ELIZABETH MARTHA BROWNE 19 November 1873 in St Peter and St Paul Church, Fareham, Hampshire, England, daughter of ANTHONY BROWNE and MARTHA. She was born Abt. 1 December 1850 in Droxford, Hampshire, England, and died in Fareham, Hampshire, England.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 19 Feb 2010 14:35

The message on the Peerage.com is the same as the one posted on here 2/3 weeks ago which I responded to but was told it was not the right one-which would seem to be true but what coincidences with names !!

I suppose if your name was Browne people named their children after the more famous ones !

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 19 Feb 2010 14:52

I'm not going to be swayed until the Glasgow birth for him is sorted as Browne is just as easily a Scottish name, and he is just as likely to have studied engineering there.
Much more digging is needed !

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 25 Feb 2010 03:40

Margaret

This is my post on Peerage.com. - no replies to date. You would think that a "CB" would have some sort of reference here. Especially when the first x7 Anthony Brownes / Viscount Montagues were Order of the Bath before the order was downgraded.

MHS

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 25 Feb 2010 03:44

Margaret

Thanks for this. Got these details logged already. They were my great grandparents. Samuel Jesse Taulbut was a shoemaker who died as a result of cancer? of the mouth because of the tacks he held in his mouth while making shoes!.

Getting Elisabeth Marth Browne's parents marriage certificate for the next step.
MHS

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 27 Oct 2010 01:31

Getting back to Anthony James Browne, it appears that the CB after his name is in fact CRE which I believe to be Corps of Royal Engineers and the line to the Viscount Brownes became extinct with no mail heir.

Would now like to find out about Anthony James Browne's first marriage which resulted in a son Charles Anthony Brown born in 1828 and on the 1841 Census Plymouth Citadel but with no mother mentioned.

Pallots Marriage 1780-1837 mentions a marriage to Sarah Stanton approx. 1833 +/- 5yrs. Can anyone help with details of this marriage, possibly death in childbirth. AJB married again to Martha Jannaway in 1844.

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 27 Oct 2010 06:49

It appears that this marriage may be a false lead as the locality doesn't seem to match up.

hscott21c

hscott21c Report 20 Jan 2013 11:05

Nudge.
CHARLES ANTHONY BROWNE B: 1828 last tracked 1841 Census Plymouth
This is the background of a previous request.

Am interested if anyone is researching half brothers to Charles viz. Anthony James Campion BROWN/E, William Freeland BROWN/E or half sister Elizabeth Marth BROWN/E in the hope that they have come up with a reference to Charles' birthplace and mother.

Thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jan 2013 11:19

Better to add your 'new' request to this.................

...........people shouldn't have to refer back to previous threads to get the relevant info