Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Horne Family Graves

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jan69

jan69 Report 3 Apr 2010 11:39

Eric George-Sydney George-Evelyn May From Bede st Lidcombe nswalso Rockdale nsw please contact me Janey Canuck janice

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Apr 2010 11:48

again suggest you put NSW in your thread title

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Apr 2010 18:11

Janice, last night before AuntySherlock and I began working on your question on the General board, I checked to see whether you had other threads on the qusestion and at that time you didn't, from what I can tell.

You have now deleted the thread in which AuntySherlock and I had put quite a lot of information we hoped would help you.

We didn't make it clear, I guess, but neither of us is related to you. We are members of the website here who help other members find ancestors and family members, as a hobby. You've sent me a couple of PMs in which you think I am a family member. Unfortunately that isn't so. AuntySherlock and I were using NSW records on line to look for descendants of Sydney Horne and Evelyn Dooley and I also went back a bit and found Sydney's parents born in England. I still have that information if you are interested, as I did not close that thread before you deleted it.

It is 1 in the afternoon here in Canada, where I am, and I will not be back at this site until late tonight or tomorrow afternoon (my time). I don't know whether you have other threads on the boards now; I hope not. Please do not delete this one, and don't start any others. AuntySherlock and I will return to this thread later to try to help further with your search.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Apr 2010 18:18

Just to note -- what I did jokingly say is that if your Hornes came from Canterbury, England, then we would be cousins. I'm always finding other people's cousins but none for me, here, you see. ;) The info I put in your thread showed that your Sydney's father was from Middlesex county so unfortunately it looks like we still have no cousins for either you or me -- but we will work on it!

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 3 Apr 2010 22:55

Hi Janice, I need to add to what Janey has said with regard to your deleted thread. Was any of the information we posted of any use to you.

It took quite a lot of searching to find all that information. Of course there was the possibility you were already aware of where the family lived in NSW and what children they had.

However in your absence it seemed best to give you what had been found and to let you go through the info and weed out what was new and relevant.

If you place queries on these boards we will answer them. If there is a measure of information you do not wish to have made public, you need to indicate that at the time of posting. It is also best if you monitor your thread and check what is placed there is appropriate to your search.

If you need any of that info back again I have it written down. Well most of it anyway and I know the links and sites I used to find it. Please let us know what the problem was, it will help us not to make the same mistake with someone else.

Regards and good luck with your search.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 4 Apr 2010 22:52

Hi Janice, Really good to hear from y ou. Thank you so much for the explanation. It makes all the sense in the world. And I do need to say, with a smile on my face, "listen woman I sort of wished you'd deleted the other thread". Never mind. OK. You will now repeat after me, "Aunty Sherlock, I promise I will not delete this thread no matter what anyone else says!!" Not anyone!! Not even Janey. Waves to Janey ~~~~~~~~~~~

Now if you have another thread somewhere, when we have put the info back on this one we can amalgamate the two threads. If I am repeating information that's my bad luck.
Are we clear. OK. Now I am going to go back to my notes and see if I can resurrect your grandparents information.

Chin up, smile on the dial, and hang in there!!

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 4 Apr 2010 23:04

This is their marriage. I will post the site where you can find the information. You have the option of buying the wedding certificate on that site. It's 'orribly expensive so just select the most important ones if you wish to buy them.

This is the site:

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?SessionID=20896747&event=marriages

Just highlight the address and paste it into your address bar and click enter. If I am teaching an expert just giggle and ignore me!!

Registration Number Groom's Surname Groom's Given Name(s) Bride's Last Name
at Time of Marriage Bride's Given Name(s) District * Purchase Certificate
13865/1913 HORNE SYDNEY G DOOLEY EVELYN M ROCKDALE Buy Now

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 4 Apr 2010 23:19

When we started I did a search trees query on this site and told you there were six other matches for people with Sydney Horne in their trees.

Janey questioned whether you had the correct date of birth for Sydney in your tree. (And we have assumed you are the Janice with a tree on GR!!) He could not have been born in 1898 and married in 1913.

You need to check that out.

Edit. Forgot to say how. On this site Go to Search Trees in the dark green border above. In the search box put in Sydney's information. You will receive a list of people who have Sydney Horne in their tree. Click on the purple "find out more" button and ask the person some questions about Sydney and say you are researching this family etc etc. Take the tick out of the open my tree box. (Can't remember if that option comes up, but just in case). At this stage you do not wish to open your tree to anyone.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 4 Apr 2010 23:26

I am going to leave this for a while. I just had a brilliant Aunty Sherlock idea. They don't happen very often so be pleased you are part of this one.

I need to talk to Janey first and as she lives some distance away she is not always awake at a sensible time.

As soon as Janey responds to my message, and stops beating me around the head for sending her one, I will get back to you.

Bye for now.

jan69

jan69 Report 5 Apr 2010 06:29

hi AuntySherlock, i have tried to find the marriage of Sydney George Horne and Evelyn May Dooley in our BDM but had no luck.i only have a copy of my mother(Nancy May Beveridge)married my father (Eric George Horne)on 7-9-1940 it states my birth and my sister Caroline Evelyn Hornes) our christenings ,our godparents,the name of the priest that married them,andthe datesthe events happened.even where everybody was living at that time.this letter was emailed to me by the Parish Secretary, who i recently spoke to(Antoinette Baron)from St Joachims Catholic Church Lidcombe nsw Australia who stated that she had searched extensively for other information relating to all of the people who were present at that time but found no details.she also wished me luck and ,boy!! do i need it.regards Janice.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 5 Apr 2010 06:43

OK. Hang in there for a while. I need to talk to Janey about restoring your tree. And GR is playing up right now as well. I think we may have found some of the info you were asking about. I will get back to y ou.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 5 Apr 2010 06:47

OK Go back to my post of 23.04 yesterday on this thread.

This information is the marriage between Sydney George Horne and Evelyn May Dooley.

13865/1913 HORNE SYDNEY G DOOLEY EVELYN M ROCKDALE

It is from the New South Wales Births Deaths and Marriages web site. If you go to the web site using the link I gave you, you will be able to purchase the marriage certificate on line.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 5 Apr 2010 06:54

You have Nancy May Beveridge marrying Eric George Horne on 7 Sep 1940. Is that the certificate?

Then I am mixed up. Are your births on your parents marriage certificate or in the letter from the Parish Secretary. Take it slowly one item at a time.

Edit. On reading through your post again it looks like you have quite a lot of information about your lives from the time of your parents marriage for both you and your sister. Am i reading this correctly. What you are looking for is the details about your grandparents and great grandparents.

jan69

jan69 Report 5 Apr 2010 08:20

hi AuntySherlock, i am still here .the paperwork that i have is only an email with the informationi had asked her to confirm. As i tried to explain any paperwork regarding the Horne faamily was destroyed by my mother when she remarried and we were forbidden to ever mention it again and at5-6 yrs old you did as you were told .my sister forgot,but i had very clear memorys of certain people and places.I wanted to see my father and the rest of the large family,but she would physically abuse me if she found me crying over it so i learnt to hold it inside.She was like thatuntill the day she died.I will send away to B D M tomorrowand aquire for all of the certificatesi need .that will be grandfather,grandmother,father`sbirth and death certificates and find out where they are buried ,then i can pay my respects.the certificates will also tell meabout the uncles and auntys as well.thanks a lot for your help.Janice.

jan69

jan69 Report 5 Apr 2010 08:42

AuntySherlock,just to let you know it took many years of raising my 2 kids and 10 foster kids,working,myself,looking after my darlimg husband to push it to the back of my mind also? to turn to.my memorys arevery small pieces of a dad that i knew loved me ,but died before i was old enough to go look for him.i did not know any pathways until i came acrossGR.that prompted me to contact the church,hoping i was not going to look like a mad person who had only dreamed these visions up.thank you to the Church Secretary ,because at first i thought she was thinking that way but an email arrived with the only information that i can give you.and yes i would like to go back to my great grandparents and their history.regards Janice.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 5 Apr 2010 09:10

Wow! All Right. I am beginning to understand your quest. You have probably come to the right place to start such a search. The researchers on GR pride themselves on their ability to solve these puzzles and to jump brick walls with single bounds, well with several bounds if needed.

We will give you information and you will need to let us know if that fits in with what you know. You will need to monitor your thread. Please do not be bothered about saying, No I don't think that fits. The more info we get correct the more the puzzle will start to come together.

Do not become disheartened if we encounter a problem, just remember you have waited this long for the information, a bit longer might ensure the info you find is correct.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 5 Apr 2010 09:23

Right lets start putting the pieces together.

You have your mother Nancy May Beveridge marry your father Eric George Horne 7 Sep 1940
Your grandfather on your father's side was Sydney George Horne and your grandmother was Evelyn May Dooley. They were married in 1913 in Rockdale NSW the BMD index is 13865.

Your mother remarried. And from the Electoral Roll information we are fairly certain your father went to Picton in NSW but that needs to be proved.

I understand your search for your grandparents on your fathers side and we will go back through Sydney George and Evelyn May and find their origins, their parents, etc

Question. Are you interested in the family history of your mother's remarriage. I need to ask because that might come up while we are searching.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 5 Apr 2010 09:32

I am starting with the electoral roll information.
These would only be people over the age of 21.

Sydney George Horne, Packer, 14 Gardiner's Avenue Rockdale

Evelyn May Horne, Home Duties, 43 Booth Street, Balmain East NSW

Also on the same page, and they might not be related to you, so for information.

Elizabeth May Horne, Home duties and
Leslie James Horne, Salesman, Niblick Street, Rockdale NSW

Edit. I can not find a marriage for these two in NSW. Could they have married interstate or overseas.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 5 Apr 2010 09:47

Sydney George Horne, Packer, and
Evelyn May Horne, Home Duties, Ascot, 3 Bede Street Lidcombe NSW

Also on roll under same name are:

Hilda Horne, home duties, Beaumont Crawford St Lidcombe
John Horne, labourer, State Hospital, Lidcombe NSW Edit name spelt without E in later roll.

Do not forget, they may not be your relatives.

jan69

jan69 Report 5 Apr 2010 09:54

AuntySherlock,no i do not need to know any of my mothers remarriage as i was never really accepted in to that family .my sister and i were very isolated and felt a lot of rejection for most of our young life we were never shown love or affection.it was only when i met my darling husband did i really understand what that was all about.he is still the main man,!!!!i still love him dearly from the very begining and that has never waivered for47 yrsthis year evernthough he canonly speak3-4 words i can see it in his eyes(the love)and sometimes he can tell me.i miss him so much.