Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Closed for Now - ScotlandsPeople Look-Ups

Page 0 + 1 of 16

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 19 May 2010 20:25

I will do ScotlandsPeople look up's for anyone who wants a little help with their research. Try to give me as much information as you can please - even any information on other close family members that may be help me find a rough area of Scotland. I can also forward the certificates onto you if you would like?

Thanks

Emma

Emma

Emma Report 19 May 2010 20:49

Joyce,

I've had a look on SP and I've not been able to find a marriage in the Lanarkshire area but I have found a marriage in Edinburgh that may be a little helpful?

John Paxton Norman - Barrister at Law, Residing in the Parish of (Mary Le Bone?) London and Margaret Robinson Residing in ________ parish of St Cuthberts, daughter of the late William Robinson formely in London have three several times duly regularly proclaimed in the Parish Church of St Cuthberts in order to marriage __________________.
Married at Edinburgh on the 11 September 1854.

That's the only marriage for a John Norman I can see around 1851-1854.

I'll keep looking for a birth

Emma

Emma

Emma Report 19 May 2010 21:17

Joyce,

This may be a little off track but ...

There was a Mary Anne Jane Norman born in Alva, Stirling - the only Margaret Normans born were around the 1860 mark.

The Mary Ann Jane Norman was born on 14 April 1858 and her Father's name was John Norman and her mothers name was Jane/Janet Norman maiden name Vale?

How did you find out that she was born in Lanarkshire?

I'm sorry I couldn't be of much help.

Emma

Emma

Emma Report 19 May 2010 21:23

I've had a quick look on Ancestry and although i've got rid of my membership I can still see certain details and there is a Margaret Norman on there born in either 1853 or 1856 with parents John Norman and Jane Ann Webster?

There are other children on there for John Norman and Jane Ann Webster too .

Thomas Webster Norman - 1858 - Co. Durham

Benjiman Norman - 1863 - Northumberland

Robert J Norman - 1868

William Norman 1870

Emma

Jean

Jean Report 19 May 2010 21:38

Hi Emma2910,
Thanks very much for the offer, I wonder if would be too much of a cheek to ask for 2 look ups.
1st is for John McLuskey( McCluskey )d.o.b. 26.5.1870 in Bridgeton, Glasgow, parents are Henry and Annie nee Woods, he is last on the 1891 census with his parents and siblings living in Anderston, glasgow.A marriage / Death for him please.

2nd is Henry McLuskey ( McCluskey ) d.o.b. 1900, parents are Peter and Margaret nee McDonald, he is on the 1901 census with his parents in glasgow. A marriage / death for him please.
anything on either of them would be much appreciated, my problem with them is the spelling of their surname.

Thank you
jean

Emma

Emma Report 19 May 2010 22:03

Jean,

First one ....

Death
John McCluskey
Dock Labourer
(Single)
20 March 1939
4h 35m AM
63 Possil Road
Usual Residence - 83 Purdon Street, Glasgow
69 Years
Father - Henry McCluskey - Carter (deceased)
Mother - Ann McCluskey m/s Woods (deceased)
Cause of death - myocardial degeneration, chronic Bronchitis
Registered by Annie Greenam? - Sister - 47 Kelvinhaugh Street, Glasgow
Registered on 24 March 1939 at Glasgow

2nd one ..

Unfortunately it is too recent to see the death online on Scotlands People and will need to be looked up in Register House.

Emma

Emma

Emma Report 19 May 2010 22:23

I've found a marriage for the 2nd ...

Marriage
in the District of Gorbals in the Burgh of Glasgow
on the 5th day of August at St John's Church, Portugal Street, Glasgow.
After Publication according to the forms of the Roman Catholic Church.

Henry McCluskey - Spirit Salesman (Bachelor) - 25 - 69 Dale Street, South Glasgow
Father - Peter McCluskey - Quay Labourer
Mother - Margaret McCluskey m/s McDonald (deceased)

Elizabeth Heaney - Bakes Saleswoman (Spinster) - 18 - 97 Nelson Street, South Glasgow
Father - Edward Heaney - Farnway? Labourer
Mother - Beatrice Heaney m/s McGoldnick

Patrick William Ryan - St Johns Catholic Church
James Reid - 81 Carrick Street, Anderson, Glasgow - Witness
Elizabeth Finn - 25 Carfin Street, Govanhill, Glasgow - Witness

Reg on 6th August 1925 at Glasgow

Emma

Jean

Jean Report 19 May 2010 22:36

Emma,

You are a star, that's my McLuskey's alright, thank you very much.
If you have time do you think you could possibly look up 2 more.
They are Henry Stewart Moore b. 3.6.1859 in Glasgow p arents are Henry and Margaret nee Stewart , he is last on the 1881 with his parents living in Anderston, death/marriage please.
2nd Ann Stewart b.c.1840 in Glasgow parents are Alexander and Agnes nee Mitchell/other surname McGregor, she is last on the 1861 living with her grandmother Margaret Mitchell.

If you don't have the time don't worry you have found loads for me already.
Thank you Jean

Thank yo

Emma

Emma Report 19 May 2010 23:16

Jean,

Having trouble looking for the last 2 you gave me because their names are so common ...

Is there any chance you know where abouts Ann Stewart was living with her Grandmother?

Emma

Emma

Emma Report 20 May 2010 00:15

Jean,

I've been through all the deaths of a Ann Stewart in the Glasgow area on SP and none of them have the parents you have given me

Sorry,

Emma.

Joyce

Joyce Report 20 May 2010 01:34

Thanks again Emma,

If I am correct I think one of the later census for Margaret Norman it was recorded that she was born in Wishaw,, but as we have come to learn that sometimes the Census details were not always correct.
I'm not familiar with Scottish geography but isn't Wishaw in Shotts, Lanarkshire or is it in Motherwell, Lanarkshire?.

I have been in contact with the person who has the tree on Ancestry, they have given the Mother of Margaret Norman as Jane Ann Webster but there appears to be no concrete proof of this and I was hoping that you could find some confirmation from your very kind offer to do look ups on SC.
It's strange that there is no record of a birth for Margaret anywhere in England either so perhaps her birth was never registered..I know there are records of her siblings births in Co. Durham and Northumberland.
May be the best thing to do would be to order one of her siblings birth certificates.

Thank you so much for trying

Joyce

Jean

Jean Report 20 May 2010 07:22

Emma,

Thank you looking for my Ann Stewart, don't know what happened to her after 1861, but thanks for your time.

best wishes
jean

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 20 May 2010 09:26

Hi Emma
I’m looking for the births of William SCOTT, about 1809 in Roberton, Roxburghshire and Sarah WATSON, about 1826 in Old Machar, Aberdeen and their marriage. The oldest child I have found, Walter, was born about 1849 in Kelso, Roxburghshire so I would guess their marriage was about 1848.
Thank you for your help
Pam

Emma

Emma Report 20 May 2010 10:00

Joyce,

Wishaw, Shotts and Motherwell are different places, but all come under Lanark/Lanarkshire.

Sorry I could not be of much help

Emma

Emma

Emma Report 20 May 2010 10:30

Pam,

I cant seem to find a marriage for a William Scott and Sarah Watson around the year you gave me ..

There are 3 deaths for a William Scott in Roberton, Roxburgh for a William Scott around 1809

William Scott - 29 Jan 1808
Father - Walter Scott
Mother - Mary Young

William Scott - 2 Nov 1808
Father - Thomas Scott
Mother - Rachel Grieve

William Scott - 7 Sept 1810
Father - William Scott
Mother - Isobel Glendininning

I would take a guess that the first William Scott birth (29 Jan 1808) may be the right one as usually - going with the scottish naming pattern - their first son is named after the father's father?

There is only one birth of a Sarah Watson in Old Machar, Aberdeen between 1820-1830 ...

Sarah Kerr Watson - 15 Aug 1823
Father - Alexander Watson
Mother - Eliza Cowie

Hopefully this will be some help - I found that when looking at the kids of the people it was easier to link up parents as usually they didn't have much imagination and used names over and over.

Emma

Emma

Emma Report 20 May 2010 10:41

Red,

Is there any chance you know who he married? And how do you know he was a Cotton Spinner in 1882/3

Emma

John

John Report 20 May 2010 11:09

Hello Emma2910 thank you for the very kind offer of look ups. I am looking for any information on the parents of Janet McTurk. She was born abt. 1816 in Sanquhar Kirkcudbright. Janet married a William Brown on 28/5/1837 in Sanquhar. Thank you John

Emma

Emma Report 20 May 2010 11:21

Red,

There is only 2 births for Charles Gillies between 1850-1854 but none of them have John as a father and none are in the Hawick area.

Charles Gillies - 23 Sept 1851
Father - Angus Gillies
Mother - Ann Ruddach
Peterhead - Aberdeen

Charles Gillies - 3 June 1852
Father - William Gillies
Mother - Margaret McDonald
St Cuthbert's - Edinburgh

and going for later on than 1854 there is only 2 births between 1855 to 1857

Charles Gillies - 24 August 1855
Father - Charles Gillies
Mother - Elizabeth Gillies m/s Gardener
Clyde - Glasgow

Charles Stewart Gillies - 27 July 1857
Father - Daniel Gillies
Mother - Mary Gillies m/s Stewart
Rothesay - Bute

Sorry theres nothing much on SP about him.

I've had a quick look on Ancestry and although I don't have a full membership anymore I can still see some details and there is a Charles Gillis born in 1852 in Kent, England married to an Annie Luckett. Although the information is not sourced. There is no parents on that either.

Emma

val1963

val1963 Report 20 May 2010 12:23

Hi Emma

Thanks for the offer I am looking for the Parent's of
John Cowans & Isabel Smith they married in 1776 in Morebattle,Roxburgh.

I believe they were born c1747 or c1757
I am hoping that it shows their Fathers Names & Occupation's

Many Thanks
Val

Emma

Emma Report 20 May 2010 13:36

John,

There is a death for a Janet Brown

Janet Brown
(widow of William Brown - Shepherd)
4 March 1889
81 Years
Father - John McTurk (deceased)
Mother - Janet McTurk m/s Mc__?__ (deceased)
Cause of death Hemiplegia - 5 days
Registered by Margaret _________ (grandaughter)
Glencairn - Dumfries

There is no births for a Janet McTurk in the Kirkcudbright area although there is ...

Janet MacKitterick
2 January 1812
Father - Joseph MacKitterick
Mother - Margaret Grier
Troqueer - Kirkcudbright

The only Marriage I can seem to get for a McTurk around the same time is ....

John McTurk
Janet McKerrow
Old Cumnock - Ayr
2 February 1802

Sorry

Emma