Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bolton Family - Cardiff

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HelsBels007

HelsBels007 Report 6 Aug 2010 17:28

I would like to start my husband's family tree

I have the names of his father, uncles and aunties:

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Dec 1912 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bolton Henry Fraser Cardiff 11a 782

Births Sep 1914 (>99%)

Bolton John Fraser Cardiff 11a 916

Births Dec 1916 (>99%)

Bolton Kathleen Fraser Cardiff 11a 714

Births Mar 1920 (>99%)

Bolton William Fraser Cardiff 11a 1031

Births Sep 1921 (>99%)

Bolton Mary J Fraser Cardiff 11a 856

Births Dec 1923 (>99%)

Bolton Helen M Fraser Cardiff 11a 742

Births Sep 1925 (>99%)

Bolton Albert Fraser Cardiff 11a 685

Births Sep 1926 (>99%)

Bolton Elizabeth Fraser Cardiff 11a 685

Births Mar 1928 (>99%)

Bolton Henry Fraser Cardiff 11a 645

Births Mar 1929 (>99%)

Bolton Michael T Fraser Cardiff 11a 582

Births Jun 1930 (>99%)

Bolton Terence Fraser Cardiff 11a 594

Births Jun 1931 (>99%)

Bolton Thomas Fraser Cardiff 11a 591

Births Dec 1934 (>99%)

Bolton Margaret R Fraser Cardiff 11a 492

Births Jun 1936 (>99%)

Bolton Patrick Fraser Cardiff 11a 493

Would like some help with parentage of the above Boltons and also names of the siblings of the above brothers and sisters - which would give me something to start on.

Many thanks

Helen

Gee

Gee Report 6 Aug 2010 17:32

Marriages Dec 1913 (>99%)

Bolton James Fraser Cardiff 11a 910
Fraser Catherine Bolton Cardiff 11a 910

Gee

Gee Report 6 Aug 2010 17:33

That looks like the parents. I dont know what you mean when say you would like help with the siblings of the above?

I thought they were all siblings?

HelsBels007

HelsBels007 Report 6 Aug 2010 17:33

Wonderful, thanks very much Ginny x

HelsBels007

HelsBels007 Report 6 Aug 2010 17:35

Siblings of the children of James Bolton and Catherine Fraser - my husband went to a funeral and was astonished at the number of cousins, grand children etc. Huge family and he doesn't have any knowledge of them. Would like to fill in some of the gaps for him

Gee

Gee Report 6 Aug 2010 17:41

You have posted all the children of James and Catherine (Siblings to each other)

Am I having a Friday moment and got the wrong end of the stick!

x

HelsBels007

HelsBels007 Report 6 Aug 2010 17:54

Sorry Ginny, its me..... lets start again. Can you throw some light on the decendents of

Bolton Henry Fraser Cardiff 11a 782

Bolton John Fraser Cardiff 11a 916

Bolton Kathleen Fraser Cardiff 11a 714

Bolton William Fraser Cardiff 11a 1031

Bolton Mary J Fraser Cardiff 11a 856

Bolton Helen M Fraser Cardiff 11a 742

Bolton Albert Fraser Cardiff 11a 685

Bolton Elizabeth Fraser Cardiff 11a 685

Bolton Henry Fraser Cardiff 11a 645

Bolton Michael T Fraser Cardiff 11a 582

Bolton Terence Fraser Cardiff 11a 594

Bolton Thomas Fraser Cardiff 11a 591

Bolton Margaret R Fraser Cardiff 11a 492

Bolton Patrick Fraser Cardiff 11a 493

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 7 Aug 2010 16:41

Hi Helen, you could also try putting the names into the search box above to see if anyone on this site has them in their tree. If you find a connection, you can contact the tree owner. Cx.

HelsBels007

HelsBels007 Report 16 Aug 2010 23:28

I am making reasonable progress with the tree but there is confusion as to who James Bolton's parents were. James was born around 1899 and I thought his father was from Merthyr Tydfil however my husband's cousin thinks he was called John from South Shields. She has army records which say he was born in glamorgan, also a marriage certificate. She thinks John Bolton was a stonemason. Can anyone throw any light? I'll try and get more information such as date birth, death, marriage

Gee

Gee Report 17 Aug 2010 08:57

When you say James Bolton 1899c you dont mean the James that married Catherine do you?

He would be too young.

Who is James and where was he born?

x

Mort

Mort Report 17 Aug 2010 12:54

Hi all.

Don't mean to put a low things but there is some personal information listed on here that i'm not sure should be not be here. The marriage concerning Yorath the gentleman listed is a rather big football star and still very much with us. I am related to the Yorath's by marriage going back to a great Aunt and i'm a little concerned that there is private information being posted, i'm sure no one would mind this going in a PM.

Regarding the military information i had to agree James would be too young for a birth of 1899 as he married in 1913.

So i hope this helps
James joined the Monmouth Royal reserve Engineers, on the 13/01/1909 and listed his brother John Boulton of 18 Humpfrey Street Cardiff as his next of kin. He later changes this to wife Catherine.
Catherine Fraser married James on the 8/11/1913 at Cardiff Reg Office, witnesses James and Mary Ellen Sullivan.
There are two children listed,
Child before marriage
WILLIAM JAMES BOULTON FRASER 17/10/1911
JOHN 7/9/1914 both born Cardiff.
James was listed as Blue eyes, Dark brown hair, 5 foot 7inches, 119 lbs weight and was a Roman Catholic. He was a platelayer? (this needs to be double checked quite hard to read) and was born in Adamstown Cardiff. And his army number listed is 5687.

Hope this helps, if you would like a copy let me and i will send you my e-mail address in a PM.

Good Luck with everything
Heidi

Janice

Janice Report 17 Aug 2010 17:37

Heidi,
Sorry - have removed. Sorry I know nothing about football but thought someone who married 67 years ago would be OK as an example. Pretty impressive if he's still playing football!
Apologies,
Janice

HelsBels007

HelsBels007 Report 17 Aug 2010 20:38

Hi Mort
Terry Yorath is not the same as the football player. He and his wife Mary died many years ago. Mary was born in 1921

HelsBels007

HelsBels007 Report 17 Aug 2010 20:39

These are extracts from a previous thread. I know having several threads causes confusion and apologies for this. The James I am searching for is the father of James Bolton 09/12/1988 - 26/03/1972. James Bolton (1988) was married to Catherine Frazer and he was born out of wedlock! She said he has army records and was in WW1.
My husband’s cousin has spent 6 years trying to find out who James (1988) parents were. She said on James wedding certificate shows his father named as John.
I will attach some extracts from previous threads (so there is no duplication) showing likely parents in Merthyr Tydfil, and Ireland but she is convinced he came from South Shields.
Extract: “could this be him....

Name: James Bolton
Estimated birth year: abt 1889
Relation: Son
Father's Name: James
Mother's Name: Mary Ann
Where born: Merthyr, Glamorgan, Wales

Civil parish: Merthyr Tydfil
Ecclesiastical parish: Pentrebach
Town: Heolwermwd
County/Island: Glamorgan

Street Address: View image
Condition as to marriage: View image
Education: View image
Employment status: View image

Registration district: Merthyr Tydfil
Sub-registration district: Lower Merthyr Tydfil
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
James Bolton 30
Mary Ann Bolton 29
Mary Florence Bolton 8
Bessie Bolton 6
Catherine Bolton 5
James Bolton 2
Thomas Llewn Bolton 8/12
George Freeman 24
James Hickory 22
Annie Morgan 15

did he die in 1972?

There's also a Jas Bolton born 1890 in Ireland living in Glamorgan in 1901.......

Name: Jas Bolton
Age in 1901: 11
Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Relation: Son
Father's Name: James
Mother's Name: Elen
Where born: Ireland

Civil parish: Merthyr
Ecclesiastical parish: Dowlais St John
Town: Dowlais
County/Island: Glamorgan

Registration district: Merthyr Tydfil
Sub-registration district: Upper Merthyr Tydfil
ED, institution, or vessel: 10
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 84
Household Members: Name Age
James Bolton 60
Elen Bolton 38
Bathomlew Bolton 16
Mary M Bolton 14
Jas Bolton 11
Patrick Bolton 6
Peter Bolton 3

do you know if he was in the Army in WW! as there are some records on line too...
was his wife called Catherine?”
I wonder if anyone can come up with a link to South Shields?

Mort

Mort Report 19 Aug 2010 00:04

So sorry for the confusion over the Yorath family, Sorry Janice, i was getting things very mixed up. Please accept my apologies. I think for me as my grandparents were married in 1948 and my grandparents are still alive, it worries me a little. Though i love hunting out information. Looks like i wasn't as good as i thought ha ha ha ha. My great great Aunt was Clara Poulton and she married into the Yorath family in Cardiff. But she had a very sad life. And that seemed to carry on through her family as they did not prosper much on the Docks here in Cardiff.

Helen i have posted a little information on a James to do with his miliatry, please can you let me know if any of it is right.

Sorry again all
Heidi

HelsBels007

HelsBels007 Report 19 Aug 2010 23:25

Mort you are doing just fine. Also thanks to everyone else for their kind help. I'm sending details of WW entries to 'cousin' Carol and will let you know very soon. Hoping that if this checks out with her records we may be able to trace his dad! Speak soon x

HelsBels007

HelsBels007 Report 20 Aug 2010 17:39

Mort, WW entries check out could you provide some more info. Also wonder if anyone can provide details of James' parents

Janice

Janice Report 21 Aug 2010 00:08

Just to add to the confusion, the place in Cardiff is called Adamsdown - with a 'd'; however there is an Adamstown in Ireland.

HelsBels007

HelsBels007 Report 21 Aug 2010 20:37

Hi Janice
Don't have your earlier post - did you delete?

Not sure what Adamsdown refers to but the current Boltons are Cardiff based and there is an Adamsdown

H x

Janice

Janice Report 21 Aug 2010 23:26

Hi Helen,
Yes I deleted it - as explained later because Mort thought I was posting about the footballer!
Adamstown is referred to in the army stuff that someone posted for you on page 1. However, the census info gives two possible James in 1901, one born Cardiff , the other born Ireland.
Janice