Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alexander Jamieson b 1746 Dundee

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 13 Oct 2010 01:33

Trying to find info on Alexander Jamieson born 1746 Dundee, married Jean Hynd b 1746 in Dundee, had son David Jamieson born 1784 in Newburgh, Fife, and possibly several other children whose names I would like to know. Would appreciate any guidance on this. Thans, Paul

Kath

Kath Report 13 Oct 2010 06:26

Hi Paul,
These are some of their children.

CHRISTANE JAMISON Pedigree
Female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 28 DEC 1767 Newburgh, Fife, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: ALEXANDER JAMISON Family
Mother: JEAN HIND

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

ISABEL JAMESON Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 07 OCT 1770 Newburgh, Fife, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: ALEXANDER JAMESON Family

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

JEAN JAMIESON Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 24 OCT 1780 Newburgh, Fife, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: ALEXANDER JAMIESON Family

DAVID JAMISON Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 30 SEP 1784

Christening: 03 OCT 1784 Newburgh, Fife, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Mother: JEAN HYND

I'll have a look to see if there is anymore.

Kath

Kath

Kath Report 13 Oct 2010 06:39

Some more.

WILLIAM JAMISON Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 18 DEC 1782

Christening: 15 JAN 1783 Newburgh, Fife, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:

MARGARET JAMISON Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth: 28 MAY 1786

Christening: 06 JUN 1786 Newburgh, Fife, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:

JAMES JAMISON Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 01 JUN 1788

Christening: 02 JUN 1788 Newburgh, Fife, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:

JOHN JAMISON Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 25 SEP 1790

Christening: 26 SEP 1790 Newburgh, Fife, Scotland

Death:
Burial:

Parents:

There is a christening for an ISABEL JAMESON 1774 NEWBURGH but I'm not sure if it is the Isabel b. 1770 just getting christened or it is another Isabel.

Kath

Kath

Kath Report 13 Oct 2010 07:13

DAVID JAMIESON B. 1784 MARRIED MARGARET CLARKE 6/8/1816 DUNDEE.

Banns were also called 31/7/1816 Newburgh Fife.

I can't seem to find a birth for Alexander Jamieson born 1749 Dundee
Can I just ask how you found out he was born in Dundee please.

Regards
Kath

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 13 Oct 2010 13:38

Hi Kath ! Great, thanks a lot for this.. lots of food for thought. Thanks again, Paul

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 13 Oct 2010 13:55

Hi Kath ! The date is 1746, but now I go back and check it I can't make the date and City match at the same time either. Several Alexander Jamiesons born in 1746, but none in Dundee 5 years either side of 1746. Let me go back and check it again. Thanks for all your help on this. Best wishes, Paul

PS: Originally got the info from a Jamieson family tree on Ancestry.

Kath

Kath Report 14 Oct 2010 08:44

Hi Paul,
I found this on fife fhs, not that it helps us but Jean's name has been transcribed as Hird on the baptisms of Margaret & James.

JAMIESON, ALEXANDER & JEAN HIRD: Mgt, June 2 1786; James, June 2 1788

YOUNG JAMIESON HYND - I do not know when (or where) Isabel YOUNG & George JAMIESON married, though the children's birthdates suggest 1814. I suspect that George may be the son of Alexander JAMIESON & Jean (Eupheam?) HYND who had many children (though no George that I have found) in Newburgh, Fife with several also christened in Auchermuchty. George's brother, William JAMIESON, was my ggg grandfather & he married in 1810 in Brechin, Angus but I don't know his birthplace & hence my hope that I can track him through George. The naming pattern for the families of William & George do imply that their father was Alexander. The JAMIESON family probably came to Fife via Alyth, Perth & may originate in Moray. My family tree back to the William JAMIESON above is at http://irwin.net.nz. I have only just found this connection via the will of my William's unmarried daughter Christina JAMIESON who mentioned her cousins - (in our family) - Henry Gardiner, Mary and Jane JAMIESON.

Also have a look at this.
There seems to also be an Alexander born to Alexander & Jean in 1772 this

http://newsfeed.rootsweb.com/th/read/SCT-FIFE/2001-10/1003668413

Even if the information on these are not relevant to the generation you are working on at the moment, it would be a good idea to print the info & save as it may come in handy later.

Kath

Kath

Kath Report 14 Oct 2010 09:33

Paul,
Do you know anything about Jean Hynd?

Kath

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 14 Oct 2010 12:32

Hi Kath ! Thanks for all the info above, which is very helpful.. will go check it out. The story I am getting from my 90-y-o Auntie is that her brother George Jamieson Hynd was named after a family friend of her dad's ... this may be true, but I find it hard to believe. That there is another Jamieson / Hynd connection, and someone called Young Jamieson Hynd, seems too much of a coincidence. Will do some more digging and see if I can find the connection. Your input has been most helpful, thanks again, Paul (PS: My other Auntie is also going to check some old family photos with names on the back to see if that yields any clues.)

loudoniii

loudoniii Report 14 Oct 2010 12:40

Hi Kath ! The Jean Hynd you talk about above I don't know about, but I do have 2 other Jean Hynds in my tree, which may or may not help you.

One is my Great Grand Aunt, Jean Hynd, daughter of William Hynd and Marjory / May Ford. Jean married William Kay / Keay in 1853 in Dundee, with whom she emigrated to Toronto in Ontario in Canada. They had 4 children, Adam, Elizabeth, James Ashfield and Jane Isle. Jean finally passed away in Toronto on 20 Jan 1898.

Another is Jean Strachan Hynd, daughter of James Hynd and Helen Beats Ferguson / Fergusson. Jean was born on 22 Jul 1856 in Dundee, working in her 20’s as a Jute Worker in Dundee. I haven’t fully investigated Jean, but it looks like she married a Young as Young is given as another name when she finally died in Nethybridge, Inverness at the age of 83.

If you would like any further information on either of these Jean Hynd’s, let me know.

Thanks again for your assistance. Best wishes, Paul