Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frederick Besant

Page 4 + 1 of 5

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 18 Nov 2010 19:24

Hi MarieCeleste,
Thank you for your continued interest.
I feel a bit clearer today, spoke to my grandad and showed him the Census and also the copy of his parents marriage certificate which I purchased.
It turns out that the witness on his parents wedding certificate - Mary Francis Avis - was actually his fathers sister - Mary Besant from the Census so she did survive, even though the 1911 says that there had been 3 children, 2 survived... What that must have meant I can only presume was that she was living away from home. Mary married a Dick Avis which could be Richard Avis, my grandfather remembered these details once he had been prompted by the certificate! He also remembered that they had two children - Leslie and Louise and that Leslie Avis served in the Royal Marines... Is there any way that I can view any records to do with servicemen?
Thanks for your help.
Best Wishes,
Chevaun.

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 19 Nov 2010 23:58

Can anyone tell me what info I would find on Military records ie would there be any chance of finding photos?
Also the best place to access them?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 20 Nov 2010 13:00

Can anyone please tell me how we search for households after the 1911 Census?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 23 Jan 2011 00:20

Hi all,
I am still trying to tie up loose ends with the Besant's and Clements in my tree.
I have now purchased a number of certificates to progress my search but am still completely stuck with the births of my great grandfather Frederick William Besant (also known as Philip), his brother William Besant and also sister Mary Frances Besant, as nothing is coming up on freebmd. I also am unable to find a marriage for their parents, Joseph Besant and an Annie (unknown surname).
Any help would be greatly appreciated as i have definately hit a complete brick wall!
Many Thanks,
Chevaun.

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 23 Jan 2011 00:48

Anyone?

Chevaun

Chevaun Report 23 Jan 2011 01:33

Please if anyone can help that would be great.

patchem

patchem Report 23 Jan 2011 08:02

Chevaun,

I think most of us were asleep, and the rest, seeing the number of replies to your posting, would assume 'everything' had been sorted out.
Perhaps alter your title to attract helpers back - just a very short addition.

Then a precis of what you are after: dates, area, names, and what has been found, or is definitely wrong, so that new helpers do not have to read all the pages and all the deadends which can be overlong, irrelevant and boring, but just retain the essential facts.

Good Luck

Reggie

Reggie Report 23 Feb 2013 09:45

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/42/thread/1320028

The above thread is from the WDYTYA 'board'