Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for a Love Lane in Stockwell London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ScottMK

ScottMK Report 3 Nov 2010 19:53

Would any one know of a Love Lane in Stockwell about the 1920's? There is a Love Walk in Denmark Hill would this be the same one with a change of name? Is there somebody who knows the local history?

David

Mike *

Mike * Report 3 Nov 2010 19:55

Have you looked on Google ?

jax

jax Report 3 Nov 2010 19:56

These are the Love lane's in 1911

1911 census address search Search criteria used:
County: London Street name: Love Lane
Residential Place:

Results:
Your search has returned 6 results.

redefine current search

Street Parish Registration
District County

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Love Lane City of London London City London
Love Lane Lambeth Lambeth London
Love Lane Lewisham Lewisham London
Love Lane Poplar Borough Poplar London
Love Lane Ratcliff Stepney London
Love Lane Shadwell Stepney London

ValT

ValT Report 15 Mar 2011 17:55

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=49765

Found the reference to Love Lane now being Stockwell Lane on the link above.

Nos. 15–19 (consec.) Stockwell Lane

Formerly Nos. 6–2 (consec.) Park Place

"Like Garden Close on the opposite side of Stockwell Road, Stockwell (formerly Love) Lane still retains a faintly rural air. It is a narrow thoroughfare with houses on the north side only. Nos. 15 to 19 are terrace houses of three storeys above a basement, having simply designed fronts of stock brick. The paired doorways are dressed with wooden architraves and hoods supported on moulded brackets. The rendered reveals of the windows suggest that they once contained flush frames, while the details of the internal woodwork point to a building date of about 1750. The wall face of the top storey appears to be later than the rest and might replace a roof attic."

ValT

ValT Report 15 Mar 2011 17:57

Sent a PM to David as it was an old post.

Julie

Julie Report 20 Jan 2013 12:58

Hi,

My late father said he lived at 18 Stockwell Lane - Stockwell.My mother has just told me he called it love Lane Stockwell.
I have tried to find a photo on Lambeth Landmarks but no luck!

Julie