Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth info 1837

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Essnell

Essnell Report 13 Nov 2010 11:37

Hi
I am looking for Birth details of G-G-grandmother. Recently found surname Massey, first name is Fanny. Supposedly born in Nottingham Nottinghamshire.

Nothing on the Free BMD, ancestry etc first appears as Fanny Craggs in 1881 census. may have been born early 1837before records started.

Where do I access records for this period.

Essnell in Oz

Woodie

Woodie Report 13 Nov 2010 11:49

Hi,

Could try www.familysearch.org

There is an entry for Fanny Massey, christened 30 September 1832, Kirby in Ashfield

Regards, Ron

Flick

Flick Report 13 Nov 2010 12:24

No sign of a marriage for Massey/Craggs

1881 census for info ONLY

Name: Fanny Craggs
Estimated birth year: abt 1837
Relation: Head
Where born: Nottinghamshire, England

Civil Parish: Over Wyresdale
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address: Abbeystead Huts No 5
Condition as to marriage: Married

Registration district: Lancaster
Sub-registration district: Ellel
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Fanny Craggs 44
Joseph Craggs 11 b. SHEFFIELD
Annie Craggs 8
Ellen Craggs 7
William Craggs 6
James Craggs 5
William Notley 38
Allen Mackereth 25
Fred Taylor 40
Elizabeth Taylor 33
William Taylor 2

Potty

Potty Report 13 Nov 2010 12:24

Do you have her marriage cert to Mr Craggs, which would give her father's name to confirm any other findings.

Flick

Flick Report 13 Nov 2010 12:29

Where did you get the name Massey?

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 13 Nov 2010 13:52

I'm guessing this is her

1871 England Census about Annie S Massey
Name: Annie S Massey
Estimated birth year: abt 1841
Relation: Wife
Spouse's name: Joseph Massey
Where born: Laneham, Nottinghamshire, England
Civil Parish: Nether Hallam
Ecclesiastical parish: Heeley
Town: Heeley
County/Island: Yorkshire
Registration district: Ecclesall Bierlow
Sub-registration district: Ecclesall Bierlow
ED, institution, or vessel: 54
Household schedule number: 154
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Massey 36
Annie S Massey 30
Joseph H S Massey 3

could this be
Births Dec 1867 (>99%)
Massey Joseph Hugh S Ecclesall B. 9c 245

so she's unlikely to be Massey, a birth cert of Joseph may help

Flick

Flick Report 13 Nov 2010 21:13

Which of the lady's children is your great grandparent?

Essnell

Essnell Report 15 Nov 2010 01:41

Ellen is my grandmother

Essnell

Essnell Report 15 Nov 2010 01:42

Cant find him as a positive for a bith cert as need Mother's name

Essnell

Essnell Report 15 Nov 2010 02:01

Hi all, as below,

G-mother is Ellen, no 3 child of Fanny,

1881 census is the family - I had this

also 1891 census for Ellen and Annie in different places in Bingley

also other info on Annie - marriage to Jim Lambert 1892
Census 1901 and 1911

Recently found - Ellen's Death Cert 1964. from Australia - states mother
as Fanny Massey and father as Jack Craggs
also gives Ellen's birth place as Hawes Yorkshire. - may have been registered there but born as in 1881 Sheffield Yorkshire.
also Ellen's immigration info 1900.

Have Fanny's death cert. For "Fanny Kelly otherwise Craggs". originally As Fanny Craggs. stat dec to give above info and that she was Housekeeper to John Craggs

Nothing much else that is definite.

I am still wondering about the Hawes info which came in on the 1891 census when Ellen was working and living with Jabez Crabtree. He would have filled out that form not Ellen.

Ok that it for now. I was just wondering originally where to look up the earlier church records or something like that. i have tried to get Ellen' birth Cert from the Bradford office to no avail - infor not definite enough.

cheers
Lynette

Flick

Flick Report 15 Nov 2010 10:30

Have you considered this birth?

Births Mar 1874 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Craggs Ellen Aysgarth 9d 547

Aysgarth is the district for Hawes...................

Essnell

Essnell Report 16 Nov 2010 05:43

No, I haven't. This is new information. I checked on the Parish records of baptisms for this area but didn't find anything. Is there any way of finding out who the mother is on this cert. or do I have to purchase same from GRO. I have already purchased others that were not the correct one.

Lindsay, This person has me intrigued. Could my GGmother have been married 3 or 4 times. Maybe her maiden name was something else other than Massey.
However this person isn't old enough as Fanny was 49 yrs when she died in 1886, which makes 1837 the right year for her birth.
I think that when she married in 1883 she was recorded as Craggs somewhere along the line she was Kelly.

to make matters more complex there is supposed to be another daughter called Sarah Ann{e} Kelly, older than my G-mother. Invisible!!

Lynette

Flick

Flick Report 16 Nov 2010 10:48

1881 census does not show another Ellen Craggs born in Yorkshire in 1874...or 1 year either side. And there isn't a death on freebmd before 1881 which could fit the birth

Essnell

Essnell Report 16 Nov 2010 12:44

Hi Flick,
Yes. Ellen Craggs is only in Abbeystead Hutts Overwyresdale in1881 and that isn't in Yorkshire. Sometime between 1881 and 1886 they moved to Keighley or somewhere close by. The Crabtree family were in Bingley Township. Fanny Craggs as above died in 1886.
Ellen died here in Australia in 1964.

I found a Frances Massey in 1841 census tonight - and followed the census through to 1871. Looks like one of these people might be my GGM.

comments please.
Lynette

Essnell

Essnell Report 30 Nov 2010 01:43

Hi Everyone,
i just noticed that some people are looking up parish records for Marriages in churches.

How does one go about this. I thought I might see if Fanny married in a church anywhere.

Problem is where to look?
I might get a clue as to where to go from this info.

Lynette

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 30 Nov 2010 02:35

I'm not sure that they wil lhelp, she may not have actually married just lived with, and children of unmarried couples were not always baptised.

You might just have to get certificates in the hope you get lucky, or eliminate the wronguns.!

Flick

Flick Report 30 Nov 2010 09:33

I honestly think your best course of action would be to purchase the cert for the birth which I posted. (I realise, of course, that the birth may NOT be your relative, but it may be your only chance to find out)

To search for a possible marriage at the Records Office would require that you know in which church the possible event would have taken place.

If you aren't able to purchase the birth cert, you may just have to leave the questions unanswered.

Essnell

Essnell Report 30 Nov 2010 13:59

thanks for that.

I have found other people who are descendants through this site - so far no one else has any more info than I do. So to keep looking - five years ago I couldn't have got this far so ....... it's progress.

cheers Lynette

Essnell

Essnell Report 23 Jul 2011 10:10

Hi Flick,
Have not been on this for a while.
I did buy the birth cert for Ellen from Ayrsgarth. It correlates with other known info.
Mother is Fanny Massey and father is John Craggs.

This doesn't help much just confirms the name Fanny Massey. I still have nothing more about her.

Currently I am trying to find where she was buried.
i also am looking at the possibility that Joseph and Annie wee born to Mr Kelly. Chasing birth certs along those lines. if the same mother is there then that name is the one to follow.

Just updating you and thanks for your interest.

Cheers Lynette

Essnell

Essnell Report 18 Apr 2013 16:24

Hi ,
Hope someone sees this as it is a while since posting.

Currently looking for help in tracing burial of Fanny Craggs / Fanny Kelly

Best info I have is : DoD 10 Dec 1886 from Death Cert.

Burial info :
First name:
Last name Craggs
Burial date: 15 th Dec 1886
Place of burial: Middlesbrough
Dedication: New Linthorpe Cemetry
County: Yorkshire (North Riding)

I cannot get any other info to verify if this is actually Fanny Craggs-

It seems that not all the Linthorpe records can be searched.

were people placed in unmarked graves?

also seeing that the father recorded on my grandmother's birth is john Craggs and there isn anything on the marriage of the two could they have been quakers? linthorpe was /si(?0 a quaker burial place.

It is awfully confusing. just wish i could go visit but Australia is too far away.

Essnell.