Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christopher Carthy from Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patrick

Patrick Report 13 Nov 2010 13:32

Hi everyone,

i'm stuck in my research with trying to find Christopher Carthy born circa 1850 in Ireland. I would be very grateful if someone could please help. I know that he married a Marcella Unknown from Co. Westmeath, Ireland. I have found Marcella and her children Marcella b1876, Christopher b1882, Catherine b1884 and Michael b1886 in both the 1901 and 1911 Irish census living in Dublin. Marcella snr is listed as being a widow in the 1901 census. Therefore Christopher snr must have died between 1885 and 1901. While i've found Marcella snr's burial in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin i can't find anything for Christopher snr. All help and ideas gratefully received.

Thanks,
Patrick.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 13 Nov 2010 14:31

Patrick...Have checked the 1901/1911 Census and find Marcella 1901 at Merchants Quay with 3 children Catherine Michael Christopher..
1911 she is living Ushers Quay with Catherine and Michael...she states she had been married 31 years and 3 children (usually not avaliable when "widow" but she had filled it in and it was crossed through) born and living...so at least you have an approx time frame to look for a marriage...I dont see any evidence of a Marcella b 1876 ?
The ages of the children are okay 1901/1911 but Marcella has gone from 42 yrs to 59 yrs...the 59 would be more accurate given years of marriage and childrens ages...
I suggest you also look for "Carty".../McCarthy...

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 13 Nov 2010 14:33

Catherine on 1911 and 1901,not Christine?
Possible births for the children

Name Catherine Mary Carthy
Registration District Dublin South
Event Type BIRTHS
Registration Quarter and Year Oct - Dec 1883
Volume Number 2
Page Number 578

Name Christopher Carthy
Event Type BIRTHS
Registration Quarter and Year Jan - Mar 1883
Volume Number 2
Page Number 680

Name Michael Joseph Carthy
Event Type BIRTHS
Registration Quarter and Year Jan - Mar 1886
Volume Number 2
Page Number 642

I dont see Marcella 1876 on 1901 with her mother,nor can I find the death of Christopher Senior on here

beta.familysearch.org

Nor can I see their marriage.

Patrick

Patrick Report 13 Nov 2010 15:18

Thanks for the replies. Apologies for saying Christine, i meant Catherine. Marcella b1876 married Arthur Haughton and I have them living in Dublin in the Irish 1911 census. She and her husband are both missing in the 1901 census but I reckon that she was giving birth to one of her children at the time. Her other children were being minded by other 'family members' at the time under the wrong spelling of Hawkins! (took me a while to solve that one). Marcella snr's age has me puzzled also. I know she states that she had 3 children (albeit crossed out) but i know she had at least 4.

Patrick

Patrick Report 13 Nov 2010 15:32

I have just double checked the marriage cert for Marcella b1876's to Arthur Haughton 4/06/1893 . Her father is listed as Christopher and while it states that Arthur's father is alive it does not say anything for Christopher. Do I presume that that means he's dead??