Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

joan or Joanne O.M. Robinson Williams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 10 Mar 2011 12:16

I am trying to find information regarding a Joan O.M. RobinsonWilliams who I think was born in 1921 in Kent. She could also have been known as Joanne O.M. Robinson-Williams or simply Williams. Her Mothers maiden name was Smith.
Help please

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Mar 2011 12:21

What sort of info are you looking for?

For info:

Freebmd

Births Mar 1921 (>99%)
Williams Joan O M Smith Greenwich 1d 1789

Ancestry:

Name: Joan O M Robinson-Williams
Mother's Maiden Surname: Smith
Date of Registration: Jan Feb Mar 1921
Registration district: Greenwich
Registration county: Greater London
Volume Number: 1d
Page Number: 1789

jan

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2011 12:23

You should be able to find her birth on FreeBMD. you would need the cert for further information on her parents

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2011 12:27

Greenwich was Kent from 1837-1889 from 1889-1965 it was London.

I come from the area !

Mary

Mary Report 10 Mar 2011 12:32

Thanks, it is a complicated search because I know that she had an illegitimate daughter who she called Megan and who was adopted in 1944. I wonder if she also had another child in 1945 called Stefan, details seem to be the same ie mothers name and her Mothers maiden name. How can I confirm this? I also think that she may have emigrated to USA in 1946. I have found an address for a Joanne Robinson-Williams in Scaramento in 1992 but have not found a death for her although she would be very old now. Where do I go from here?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Mar 2011 12:42

I would be inclined to pursue the Stefan link as it's a fairly uncommon name. I can see the birth you mean. If it were me I would get that birth cert first of all to ensure it's the same mother. Problem is, there is a fair chance he was adopted too. If you find it's the right person it might be worth going through Norcap to see if he is regisered there, assuming you can't find any other trace of him.. I am assuming you are a relative?
jan

Mary

Mary Report 10 Mar 2011 12:50

Yes, thanks for the info. I didn't know about Norcap. I have his birth certificate and it is marked adopted. It seems that she calls herself Joan on all things official. I have found a Stefan J. Robinson-Williams with an address in Kent so am wondering if he may have been adopted by a member of the family as it seems such an unusual name but am unsure how to make an approach without causing any offence.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Mar 2011 12:58

Always a tricky one.

I would try Norcap first as their function is to reunited families. If Stefan wants to be found he might well register there. There is also a national adoption register, just google it.

If this fails you could try contacting Stefan. Have you looked on Friends reunited/facebook? Or maybe you could try a neutral approach? Send a letter explaining that you are trying to research the Williams-Robinson family of Kent, particularly those linked to a Joan O. M. Robinson as she is your relative. Then, if he is who you think, he has the option to respond or not.

Good luck with this, crossing everything for you!

Jan

Mary

Mary Report 10 Mar 2011 13:02

Thank you so much for your advice.

Mary

Mary Report 9 Jul 2011 20:01

Just to let you all know that I have found Joan, she is still alive and living in Florida! Wonderful and hopefully she will be able to give answers but she may be too old now. She has a daughter who I am in touch with now but she knows little of her grandparents as she was born in USA.
Still looking for Joseph Robinson-Williams born 1875/78 and his father Alfred Robinson-Williams described on Joseph's marriage certificate as occupation Butcher - deceased.

Mary

Mary Report 9 Jul 2011 20:02

Many thanks for all you help and hoping you may have some more advice.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Jul 2011 22:17

That's great news Mary, how pleased you must be. Thanks for letting us know.
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 9 Jul 2011 22:19

Name: Joseph Robinson-Williams
Birth Date: abt 1878
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1928
Age at Death: 50
Registration district: Greenwich
Inferred County: Greater London
Volume: 1d
Page: 946

brummiejan