Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Hanlon?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 27 Jun 2011 20:22

Im asking for any sugestions on where i might find info on a Thomas Hanlon is buried.He was born in ppreston in 1949 june and died sept 1949 in preston,ive been to the cem and they have no record of him at all,yet his brother who died in 1947 is?
any help please

diane

patchem

patchem Report 27 Jun 2011 20:55

Any chance he died in hospital and they made other arrangements for him?

Diane

Diane Report 27 Jun 2011 21:21

he would have been 3 months old,and i dont know what you mean sorry

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Jun 2011 22:07

Do you have birth and death certificates for him?
Was he 3 months old?
If you are going by registration dates, he could have been much younger, say even a week or less. If that was the case, he might be in an unmarked grave in a churchyard.
There should be a burial site map somewhere though, - perhaps still held at the church or the diocese main archives or at the county records office.

Gwyn

Diane

Diane Report 28 Jun 2011 20:50

thanks Gwyn.ive only got the birth certificate at the moment so i will have to do some more delving,thanks again.
diane

Flick

Flick Report 28 Jun 2011 22:08

I can see the death in JAS 1949.......but not the birth.

Was the birth actually registered in Preston district?

Where were his parents living?

Flick

Flick Report 28 Jun 2011 22:11

OK.....having checked, and cross-referred with his brother's info, it seems that the birth was not in Preston district

Name: Thomas Hanlon
Mother's Maiden Surname: Moss
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1949
Registration district: Amounderness
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume Number: 10b
Page Number: 81

Mike *

Mike * Report 28 Jun 2011 22:24

Preston is in Amounderness district.

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1949

HANLON Thomas - Fulwood Preston - Mother MOSS

Born in Fulwood area of Preston, if that's any help with narrowing down which church.

Could well be Broughton Parish Church ( St John the Baptist )

Flick

Flick Report 28 Jun 2011 22:29

Deaths Sep 1949 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hanlon Thomas 0 Preston 10f 220

Deaths Sep 1947 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hanlon John K 1 Preston 10f 218

Mike *

Mike * Report 28 Jun 2011 22:34

Lancashire Death indexes for the years: 1949

HANLON Thomas - 0 - Preston North East - Preston

Worth checking the newspaper at the library. Perhaps there's a funeral notice in the Lancashire Evening Post at the time.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 29 Jun 2011 13:53

you say he was born in Preston. Where exactly does it say on the birth cert please.

As Mike says Amounderness covers the Preston area but not the city area only the outskirts such as Fulwood. Preston itself has its own reg district

Diane

Diane Report 29 Jun 2011 21:14

on the birth certificate it says he was born on 12th of june 1949 and they lived at Howarth road which is the same address as his older brother who died in 1947,and they have records of him in the cem???

thanks

Flick

Flick Report 29 Jun 2011 22:26

Which cemetery are you referring to?

Mike *

Mike * Report 29 Jun 2011 23:32

Howarth Road is actually Ashton-on-Ribble, Preston ( but close to Fulwood).

St Andrews on Blackpool Road, Ashton has it's own graveyard.
......Just a thought.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 30 Jun 2011 11:11

are we looking at Cof E graveyards as there are also a couple of RC graveyards in Ashton

you obviously know that area quite well Mike

Diane

Diane Report 30 Jun 2011 19:19

it will be RC as his brother was buried in a RC grave,and ive been to the main cem in ribbleton.I will try to get some info from St Andrews church.

thanks

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 1 Jul 2011 09:57

St andrews is Cof E.

Rc try

St Andrews and Blessed St George in Cottam or

St Mary's Lea Town, both not far from Ashton

Mike *

Mike * Report 1 Jul 2011 14:16

The nearest RC churches to Howarth Road would be St Anthony's, or Sacred Heart ... neither of which have a graveyard.

St Mary's, Lea Town has a graveyeard but it is miles away.

If the first son was buried at the town cemetery I would imagine the parents would do the same for Thomas. Strange that he's not buried with his brother.

Just wondering how long he lived . If he died shortly after being born, it could be that the hospital might have taken care of the final arrangements.

Diane

Diane Report 1 Jul 2011 15:58

thanks mike.i will order the death certificate and find out how old he actually was.

many thanks again.