Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australian research please

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kaye

Kaye Report 9 Jul 2011 20:59

12 December 2013 - Can someone advise if they know of a researcher in Australia who can locate the below family for me. I have had no luck.

Old post -
Hello, I'm hoping to find more on the birth of William James Campbell and his siblings.

Born Kilrea Ireland -William James Campbell's. His parents were William Campbell and Mary Montgomery. One known sibling known is John Campbell b.2 Aug 1872 Croagh, Antrim.

Reason why I'm tring to find other siblings so I can either locate them on shipping records to Australia as the whole family travelled to Australia from Ireland. I can't find the parents burial details in Aust. I did find William James Cambpell had joined the Military in Aust (Boer War 1901-1902) but unfortunately is military records are missing which would have given me an address in Aust With such common names, I'm hoping with siblings names it might be easier to trace. I was told by my mother than William James Campbell's mother died the year the Sydney Harbour Bridge opened but a search of the death records in NSW turned up nothing, making me think she may have re-married.

William James Campbell married in New Zealalnd in 1909, I have his certificate.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2011 21:07

any idea when William and Mary were married? and when was Wm junior born?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2011 21:09

??

Catherine Campbell
Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881

birth: 10 May 1880 —Down, Ireland
residence: 1880 —Ireland
parents: William Campbell, Mary Ann Campbell Campbell

record title: Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881
name: Catherine Campbell
birth date: 10 May 1880
birthplace: Down, Ireland
father's name: William Campbell
mother's name: Mary Ann Campbell Campbell
indexing project (batch) number: C00688-5
system origin: Ireland-EASy
source film number: 256050

Kaye

Kaye Report 9 Jul 2011 21:14

Hi Ann,

No idea where William and Mary were married. Wm jnr was born 1878 in Kilrea (taken from his marriage certificate). Is it a help that I have the Wm jnr brother's information in the above post? Thanks Kaye

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2011 21:33

John Campbell
Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881

birth: 02 Aug 1872 —Antrim, Ireland
residence: 1872 —Ireland
parents: William Campbell, Mary Montgomery

record title: Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881
name: John Campbell
birth date: 02 Aug 1872
birthplace: Antrim, Ireland
father's name: William Campbell
mother's name: Mary Montgomery
indexing project (batch) number: C70149-9
source film number: 255856

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2011 21:33

wondered "when" not "where" :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2011 21:35

William Campbell
Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898

marriage: 24 Jul 1868 —Ballintoy, Ant, Ire
parents: William Campbell
spouse: Mary Montgomery

record title: Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898
groom's name: William Campbell
bride's name: Mary Montgomery
marriage date: 24 Jul 1868
marriage place: Ballintoy, Ant, Ire
groom's father's name: William Campbell
bride's father's name: James Montgomery
groom's marital status: Single
bride's marital status: Single
indexing project (batch) number: M70240-1
source film number: 101530

Kaye

Kaye Report 9 Jul 2011 21:37

Hi Ann, am I a bit slow... sorry. you asked 'when' the parents were married, unfortunately I don't know. But looking at John's birth being before Wm Jnr I would assume it was around 1872. Is Croagh, near Kilrea? Thanks Kaye

Kaye

Kaye Report 9 Jul 2011 21:41

Hi Ann, Our messages must have crossed at the same time, what a fantastic find of the parent's marriage. I'm over the moon with that find, thank you!!

Here's hoping more siblings might turn up, any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks Kaye

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2011 22:07

surprised myself to find that marriage - Irish ancestors I usually don't find!!!

I've tried to find more chldren but no luck so far

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2011 22:41

Kilrea (from Irish: Cill Ria)[1][2] is a village and townland in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. It is near the River Bann, which marks the boundary between County Londonderry and County Antrim. In the 2001 Census it had a population of 1,513 people.[

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2011 22:45

Kilrea Parish Church Graveyard, Co. Derry, NI
Kilrea Parish Church Graveyard Records. St. Patrick's Church of Ireland Partial listing of old stones near the old church. Parish of Kilrea ...

www.angelfire.com/falcon/bannvalley/bv/kilrea_parish_... - Similar

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2011 22:47

Kilrea - Family History, Genealogy, Surnames and Local History.
Village by village genealogy, family and local history enquiries for Londonderry . ... Mary Campbell had several brothers - Frank McGuigan, Patrick, and others. .... Born Kilrea late 1800's. Son of John and Ann McLaughlin (Nancy? ...

www.curiousfox.com/history_Ire/londonderry_3.html - Similar
Kilrea Parish Church Graveyard, Co. Derry, NI
28 Feb 2011... current church building, built in the early 1800's with support from the Mercer's Guild. .... John Henderson, Kilrea, who departed this life 19 March 1841, aged 75 years ... Mary Campbell, who departed this life 3 February 1780, aged 56 years .... MARY BELLA died 13th April 1948 and their family ...

www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/BannValley/church/Kilrea... - Similar

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2011 22:51

681 Deceased Ancestors - Free Family Tree - TribalPages.com
A TribalPages.com Family Tree website researching Shelley, Bean, Dunbier, ... Butler, Richard, Born Nov 30 1799 in England, Died Apr 1800 in England ...... Murdoch, James Campbell, Born Nov 10 1846 in Kilrea, Londonderry, Ireland., ...

tribalpages.com/family-tree/leonewaau - Similar

Kaye

Kaye Report 10 Jul 2011 02:21

Thanks Ann and Calhame, Calhame the genes board link was me back in 2008 trying to find the family in Australia (with no luck).

Had a look at Tribal Pages, no luck there and also curious fox and no luck there. Off to look at Angel Fire.

Thanks to all
Regards Kaye :-)

Kaye

Kaye Report 10 Jul 2011 02:33

http://www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/BannValley/church/KilreaCOI/Graves.html

Great site, unfortunately no Campbell's or Montgomery's relative to my search that I could find.

Regards Kaye

mgnv

mgnv Report 10 Jul 2011 03:20

The GRO(I) index thru 1958 (excl N. Ireland post-partition) is available at:
https://www.familysearch.org/s/collection/list#page=1®ion=EUROPE

One can purchase certs (or cheaper still, the uncertified images of the rego) via:
http://www.groireland.ie/

Kaye

Kaye Report 11 Dec 2013 20:37

Searching in Australia - can anyone recommend a researcher preferably in New South Wales who might be able to help with finding the Campbell family.

(I was hoping to be able to alter the 'title' of this post to alert readers to the fact I need an Aussie researcher but I don't know how to do this).

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Dec 2013 21:06

Hi Kaye - go to your very first post on this thread and then click "Edit" - that enables you to get back to the thread title and amend it.

Edit: If you can give some specific info about all the people you're trying to trace in Australia then that would help.

Gai

Gai Report 12 Dec 2013 08:51

In your other post you mention William James Campbell in Tasmania ( Boer war)

Is this your William
https://www.awm.gov.au/research/people/nominal_rolls/pre_first_world_war/person/R1444828/

Gai