Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Dixon buried Mancjhester area Sept 1902

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Ken2

Ken2 Report 31 Dec 2011 16:33

The index to Manchester Eveniung News says George Dixon husband of Sarah died 31 Aug 1902 and is buried BrockWnds Cemetery?
Does anyone have access to this newspaper death announcement so I can find out where George is buried?

Dea

Dea Report 31 Dec 2011 16:58

\is this cemetery supposed to be in Lancashire because I have never heard of it ?

Dea x

Janet

Janet Report 31 Dec 2011 17:17

Looking at the list of all Manchester Cemeteries there is nothing similar to your information. Could it be
Sale (Brooklands) Cemetery

Marsland Road, Sale

15 Sep 1862

Still Open

Records at Altrincham Lawn-jl

Ken2

Ken2 Report 31 Dec 2011 17:45

Dea and Janet

Could be Brooklands I suppose as the British Library Newpaper index uses OCR software so sometimes produces 'gobbleydegoook'.

The family lived in Royds Street, off Stockport Road, Manchester which is miles away from Sale, Cheshire. And he died whilst on holiday in Morecambe!

The original entry in the Manchester Evening News would clarify.

Janet

Janet Report 31 Dec 2011 17:46

1901 Census
George Dixon 70 Head Addingham Yorks
Sarah Dixon 67 Stockport Cheshire
Sarah Dixon 33 dau Manchester
Joseph Dixon 26 son Manchester
Mary Dixon 26 dau Manchester
Sarah Simpson 11 Yorkshire
Living 39 Royd Street Manchester

There are many George Dixons in the Manchester area. Could this be the one with a wife Sarah.?- jl

Janet

Janet Report 31 Dec 2011 17:48

Well that explains it as I found a death of a George Dixon on the Lancaster freebmd aged 71.
Could he have been buried at Morecambe, Addingham, the place of his birth or near to where his wife came from originally ?- jl

Ken2

Ken2 Report 31 Dec 2011 17:51

Thanks Janet, this is the right family and I already had the 1901 census infornation - it's George's, burial, and later his wife Sarah's burial [who died 1907 Jan 18, in Manchester age 73], that we haven't found yet.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Dec 2011 18:12

Ken, if you can give me the date of the newspaper from the index I'll take a look at the original. I guess it would be early September?

EDIT: Interment was at Brooklands Cemetary, but no location for that was given.

Will see if I can find Sarah's ......

Would this be her death registration?:

Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page
Deaths Mar 1907
DIXON Sarah 73 Chorlton 8c 574

..... not seeing any announcement for her.

Pam

Pam Report 31 Dec 2011 21:27

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/448/archives_and_local_studies/462/family_history_in_manchester/5

The above website might prove useful.

Janet

Janet Report 1 Jan 2012 10:08

Seems a possibility that he has been buried near to his wife's place of birth which would be approximately 5 miles away from Stockport. -jl

Sylann

Sylann Report 1 Jan 2012 12:20

Hi Ken

If you find out that it is Brooklands and you can find the plot number I'll have a lok for you as I live about 10 min away

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Jan 2012 12:29

It was most definitely Brooklands Cemetary (as I posted yesterday at 18:12).

I looked up the original of the death announcement in the Manchester Evening News.

Sylann

Sylann Report 1 Jan 2012 12:36

Hi MarieCeleste

How did you look it up ? I have a lot of relatives in the Manchester area and knowing how to look burials up/deaths would help a lot when I'm stuck !! I have the M/c burial site but that is just the 4 main ones for M/c

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Jan 2012 12:44

Hi Sylann - I've got a subscription to the National Newspaper Archive (Christmas present to myself!) and Ken had already given the name of the newspaper and when the death happened so it was very easy to find it.

Because the archive has used OCR scanning the indexes leave a lot to be desired but if you know exact death dates and where they were living I'm happy to try to find them.

Sylann

Sylann Report 1 Jan 2012 12:50

Thanks for that I'll keep it in mind

I thought it might have been a site on the net you can access( I know ) wishful thinking you have to pay for everything!!

Thanks anyway

Ken2

Ken2 Report 1 Jan 2012 14:33

Thanks everyone, it seems George was definitely buried in Brooklands so possibly his wife Sarah [died 18 Jan 1907 age 73] is there too.

The website Pam mentions says that The Manchester Room@City Library Manchester have some monumental inscriptions for Brooklands on CDROM

From http://www.mlfhs.org.uk/Infobase/graveyards.php it says the records for Brooklnads [now called sale Cemetery] are at Altrincham Lawn, Dunham Massey, Trafford and the Trafford website says:

"If you wish to locate a family member then write to us at the address below, providing us with as much detail as you can, this should include:
•The full name of the deceased
•The approximate month and year that the person passed away.
There is a charge of £13 per name. Please enclose a cheque with your enquiry and make it payable to 'Trafford Council'.
We will reply giving as much information as is held."

Does that sound expensive to you?

Janet

Janet Report 2 Jan 2012 10:38

Would it be cheaper to contact the local family history society before making a decision. I think the charge is about average. Our local society charges £5 for one of the main cemeteries but all others in the area are free because volunteers have spent years transcribing the details including some Monumental Inscriptions .
If the Manchester family history have the transcriptions then you could take up the kind offer of Sylann- jl

Sylann

Sylann Report 2 Jan 2012 12:17

Hi Ken

Have you tried sending an E mail to the Manchester Rooms If you ask what they have ob Brooklands Cemetery and give them some info on what your looking for they'll possibly tell you what info they have and if your lucky they might do a quick search for you.
Last week I wanted to know who lived at a certain address in 1849 they were kind enough to explain what they had but did a quick look for me
I did say I lived a distance away and was planning a trip to look at the info
Anything is worth trying before you spend money
Don't hasitate in getting in touch if you want me to look at the grave for you or take a photo

Sylvia

Ken2

Ken2 Report 2 Jan 2012 14:20

Thanks to all for the help and advice on this one.

I have just emailed the Mancheser Rooms and asked if they have the grave number for George Dixon - the automatic reponse says they'll get back within 10 days.

Sylann

Sylann Report 6 Jan 2012 05:25

Hi Ken

If you get any info and you want me to look at the grave for you will you PM me I have spells when I don't bother with Genes, and I might just miss your post

Sylvia