Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scotland - Gertrude Francis White b 08/10/1913

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gavin

Gavin Report 2 Jan 2012 09:14

Edit - 31/12/2012

Looking to trace my paternal grandmothers line (she was a White before marriage as well as after her Marriage to James Frederick White).
She had 2 sisters, Gertrude Francis White b08/10/1913 - d23/12/2007 (born in Dumfries Scotland I think) and Lillian Francis? White b1920? - d1930?

I believe their parents were Charles Wallace White b1889? - d05/01/1942 and Francis Louisa Walker b31/07/1891 - d1957?

also looking to trace both of her parents (Whites and Walkers), on the Walkers I think her parents were Charles Walker and Fanny Jones both from around 1855??

Thank you

Gavin

Gee

Gee Report 2 Jan 2012 09:37

Births Dec 1915 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White Dorothy W Holmes Thorne 9c 1658

You need her birth certificate to confirm the parents names. Mothers maiden name is Holmes

Ivy

Ivy Report 2 Jan 2012 11:58

This may be a possible for Charles Wallace White on the basis of the death registration:

[EDIT 4.1.12: This may be the wrong man - need to look for Charles Walter White if Dorothy's marriage certificate is correct]

Name: Charles White
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Wallace Walter White
Mother's name: Louisa White
Where born: Bath, Somerset, England

Civil parish: Lyncombe and Widcombe
Ecclesiastical parish: St Thomas A Becket
County/Island: Somerset

Registration district: Bath
Sub-registration district: Lyncombe
ED, institution, or vessel: 7

Piece: 1933
Folio: 5
Page Number: 4
Household Members:
Name Age
Wallace Walter White 24
Louisa White 25
Charles White 1

Mike *

Mike * Report 2 Jan 2012 14:15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1888 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDWARDS Eliza Bath 5c 1059
*************PRITCHARD Louisa - Bath 5c 1059
SMITH George Bath 5c 1059
*************WHITE Wallace Walter - Bath 5c 1059

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Jan 2012 14:19

Don't know why but this seems familar

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Jan 2012 14:23

GB - I was thinking that too, but the Search facility isn't working properly.

Ah! - but Google is
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/ancestors/thread/1288735

Gavin, that's the second time you've started a new thread - why?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Jan 2012 14:28

Thanks MarieCeleste

Thought I was going mad there ;-)

Flick

Flick Report 2 Jan 2012 15:36

Gavin

To get accurate info......buy certs. That's the ONLY way to confirm anything

You really should be using freebmd and the FREE 1881 census to do some research yourself

Gavin

Gavin Report 2 Jan 2012 16:55

?? New threads were for different lines....

there are 4 lines for my grandparents families...
James Frederick White
Dorothy Winifred White
Stanley James Shepherd
Rose McKie

The only other thread I have is for my cousins line... Holyome.

Not sure where the duplication is coming from? I have referred to each partner in each thread, it is their parentage history I am looking for...

Maybe my stupidity at being new to this... I just assumed each name line should have a separate thread (that's what the instructions for beginners states, name and dates in title).

Apologies for any confusion.

Ivy

Ivy Report 3 Jan 2012 07:45

Hi,

Following just the Dorothy Winifred White grandparent on this thread, but mindful of mgnv's comments re using local BMD sites, these two birth registrations may be useful:

Name: Dorothy W White
Mother's Maiden Surname: Walker
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1918
Registration district: Stockton
Inferred County: Durham
Volume Number: 10a
Page Number: 137

[EDIT 4.1.12 - above registration confirmed - see 3.1.12 post below]

and

[EDIT 4.1.12: The CWW below may be the wrong man - need to look for Charles Walter White if Dorothy's marriage certificate is correct]

WHITE Charles Wallace Lyncombe/Widcombe - First Series Bath GOUGH LW1/36/262

- from http://www.bathbmd.org.uk/
- suggesting that Louisa's name of Pritchard when marrying in 1888 (see Mike's post above) was not her maiden name of Gough-a second marriage, or marrying under the name of a step- parent, or perhaps not even the same Louisa?

Ivy

Ivy Report 3 Jan 2012 07:52

[EDIT 4.1.12: This may be the wrong man - need to look for Charles Walter White b approx 1890 if Dorothy's marriage certificate is correct]

Searching the Bath indexes for children surnamed White, mother's maiden name Gough from 1876 to 1901 gives only two; Charles Wallace in 1889 and Gertrude Ellen in 1891; (so Charles' first daughter named after his sister, if this is the right family)?

Ivy

Ivy Report 3 Jan 2012 07:54

[EDIT 4.1.12: This might be about the wrong line - need to look for Charles Walter White if Dorothy's marriage certificate is correct]

Also from Bath local BMD,

Bath Death indexes for the years: 1894
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
WHITE Louisa 28 Lyncombe/Widcombe - First Series Bath LW1/35/089

Ivy

Ivy Report 3 Jan 2012 08:34

If Charles' first child was born in Scotland, then the marriage may be there too; you may need to go via Scotland's People for that, but having no relatives from Scotland, I have never used the website.

Meanwhile, if your family info about his spouse's parents is right, then there are a couple of individuals who may fit as Charles White's spouse:

1911 census (similar info from 1901 and 1891 England census)

Florence Walker d of Charles Wm/ Fannie b abt 1891 in Middlesbro, Yorkshire, England and living in Osmotherley Thimbleby, Yorkshire-North Riding

- this one has a north-east connection;

or 1901 Wales census

Francis L Walker d of Charles/Fanny b abt 1892 in Sudbrook, Monmouthshire, Wales; living at Newport, Monmouthshire

- this one fits the suggested forenames.

Gavin

Gavin Report 3 Jan 2012 13:11

I have now got some certificates from a family member, I can confirm the details on them for Dorothy Winifred White are;
Born 15/07/1918 Stockton on-Tees (entry 68 book 245), registered on 15/08/1918 (I had always thought she was born in Scotland but the certificate shows Stockton..... her sister Gertrude Francis White was born in Dunfermline, Fife).
Dorothy was married to James Frederick White, b22/02/1915 Wallsend, Tynemouth (entry 162, book 95), registered 26/03/1915.

They married in Billingham on 18/12/1948.

Some confusion now occurs as on the marriage certificate her father is named as Charles WALTER White (a joiner)..... I was led to believe it was Charles Wallace White..... so unless there is a mistake on the marriage certificate then it looks like a new line to follow.....

Ivy

Ivy Report 4 Jan 2012 08:47

Hi Gavin,

Not to worry if you were following the wrong line - we all do it somewhere along the line - console yourself that your actual ancestor will have been the better man...

I'll edit my posts above to show that Wallace may be the wrong chap.

Meanwhile, finding the right line might well be easier by looking in Scotland. I've found an assertion (via Google) that a birth certificate from Scotland should show the date and place of the parents' marriage, so finding Gertrude's birth certificate (per above, believed to be 8 Oct 1913) in Scotland may well be very useful.

It might be an idea to edit your first post slightly (for instance to say "Help needed in Scotland to trace my ....") so that the details shown on this board's lists of requests show that you would specifically like help with Scotland.

Good luck!

Gavin

Gavin Report 6 Jan 2012 13:31

will do Ivy, just going to see if I can get hold of Gertrudes birth certificate from an uncle to see if it confirms her place of birth before I look to Scotland for help.
thanks

Gavin

Gavin Report 31 Dec 2012 23:03

post edited to request help in scotland

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 31 Dec 2012 23:27

You will need to order Gertrude's birth certificate as births after 1912 are not available to view / download online.

Her birth certificate will also give the date and place of her parents marriage.

(Pity I didn't know last week as I was in the Scotlandspeople Centre and could have looked up her birth for you saving the cost of the certificate).

Gavin

Gavin Report 1 Jan 2013 01:23

Pity :-(

That means ordering without knowing if it is correct...

Unless someone with access can verify the content first??? Nice people... ha ha ha

Happy New Year everyone.

Gavin

Gavin Report 18 Feb 2013 12:51

I have just ordered the following certs in order to confirm the parents of Gertrude / Dorothy & Lilian

Lilian M. WHITE
Birth - Sep1918 - Stockton - 10a / 137
Death - Mar1930 - Stockton - 10a / 116

Dorothy W. WHITE
Birth - Sep1918 - Stockton - 10a / 137

Hopefully they will confirm the parents names for me.

Gertrude was born in Dunfries, I am trying to register with Scotlandspeople.gov.uk but the registration emails dont seem to be getting to me so they are looking into it before I can search their records for Gertrude.

Also, I was going to order the following marriage certificate, i was confident it was their mother and father getting married, however, the groom seems to be listed as Albert W. White.... so not sure it is them after all;

Frances L. Walker / WHITE
Marriage - Jun1912 - Wandsworth - 1d / 988

I went for that one as it was the only one around that time which matched with the birth certificate I have got of a Frances louisa Walker (assumed to be Dorothy's mother as I inherited the certificate from her)