Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just to Say Goodbye

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 3 Jan 2012 18:32

I have received an email from the Abuse team. I have been reported and a post removed in breach of the T&Cs of the site. And warned about my future conduct. I have no idea what it is I am supposed to have said or done in breach of anything.

As a consequence, I won't be posting anything again either as a topic or in response.

On the basis that if I don't I can't be accused of anything.

Been fun

Jude

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Jan 2012 18:34

Ask GR for a copy of the offending thread

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Jan 2012 18:38

Oh no! This is getting ridiculous! What's going on on this site?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Jan 2012 18:42

Jude, don't let one daft person stop you from continuing to make valuable contributions to these boards. Rise above it - it's their sad problem.

I'm sure it's very annoying but don't give them the satisfaction.

Please stay :-)

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 3 Jan 2012 18:48

GB...I have asked them if they could elucidate....waiting.

Margee/MC - thanks. I really don't know what to do. I enjoy trying to help others as they have helped me - especially as I now have worldwide of "another site" - suspect this is at the root of the report.

But I do this as fun and the last thing I want when I get home from work and start to unwind is a nasty email from the Abuse Team. As with all such "censors" they are quick to censor without explanation.

This country has a policy of innocent until proven guilty unless.......

Jude :-(

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 3 Jan 2012 18:54

Stay please, you said you enjoy helping others so please stay
:-) :-) :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Jan 2012 18:57

Jude, I've had some flak before and nearly packed in but, like you, I find this a great way to unwind when I get home from work (or sometimes at work - shhhh!!)

C'mon - we'd miss that cheeky smile on your avatar.

:-D

jax

jax Report 3 Jan 2012 19:08

I got a warning aswell Jude and I only have a couple of weeks left until my subs are up, shall I bother to renew??

I do not have a tree on here, I only use the site to help others and chat to my friends (but I can chat somewhere else for free if I want) and there is not much going on in the way of people needing help that it is now getting boring on here.

I have told anyone who has messaged me what I said and it was not bad nor did I mention any other site.

Had I not been up until 6 am and noticed my RR'd post I would have wondered what the email was about as I only check them on a weekly basis...just to delete notifications for GR messages :-D

Maybe when I got my invite to go to London to give my views about GR the other month I should have gone and told them what I thought :-0

jax

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 3 Jan 2012 19:12

Hi Jude and Jax,

Please don't give up helping people on here, where would we be without the help given so freely by other members. I try to do my bit in return for the help I receive.

I think there's still lots of folk asking for help, perhaps not as many as there used to be but still lots of requests.

The majority of members are very grateful, it's the odd one or two who are spoling it.

Chrissie

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 3 Jan 2012 19:17

Dear All

Your messages are very kind and thoughtful. I will have a few glasses of wine - can I say that without risk of censure? - and will sleep on it.

I enjoy trying to help people. I am not an expert but I have now been doing this for seven years and from knowing only about 20 people in my tree I now have over 2000 - and 2000 well researched and as kosher as they can be. And I really want to try and put something back in. And this site is the most user-friendly for this. Other sites are better for searches, records etc but by doing what they appear to be doing GR really seem to be cutting of their noses....etc etc.

My renewal is March....and yes I only pay basic £10 ish every six months....but multiply £20 by the number of members who seem to be upset at the recent targetting.....

Probably this one will get pulled as well. C'est la vie

MC - cheeky smile was a long time ago...so instead you've now got cheeky smile mark 2 - longer still!!! I find this one great - I was a blonde - he he - and I haven't been blonde since I was four! But I'm not yet grey.....

Jude :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Jan 2012 19:35

Dear me, if you're worried about censure for a few glasses of wine then you'll be safe hiding behind me!!

Well, I would be grey if I wasn't blonde!!

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 3 Jan 2012 19:43

Mc - ha ha - I am cheering already. Not sure if that is you or the wine (a rather nice Vendange)!

For someone who was so blonde at birth I became - by the age of ten an absolute brunette. Though in summer I noticed that I had a lot of red highlights.....

So when I did succombe to "enhancing" my colour (not dyeing you understand) when I was well into my 40's,I chose to go copper/mahogany etc etc etc.

And when I do get grey hairs - I still have so much brunette - that they show with an utter vengeance...so they have to go - kaput!

:-)

jax

jax Report 3 Jan 2012 19:51

I have always been a brunette and had my plait (single one) cut off the day after my 12th birthday and still have it :-D

Maybe I could have extensions made out of it and added to my greying hair :-D

alviegal

alviegal Report 3 Jan 2012 20:04

Please stay Jude.

I agree there are nowhere near the amount of people asking for help anymore, but we mostly all work well together and have helped hundreds of people with their trees.

I have no idea why your thread was pulled but rise above the censors and don't give them the satisfaction of losing another paying member.

That makes absolutely no sense at all, you would think genes would want to keep all their members happy as they rake in money for a very basic website. Lately they appear to be acting very strangely by pulling totally innocent threads and upsetting genuine people like yourself.

Chin up, we're all behind you.

<3 <3 <3

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 3 Jan 2012 20:14

All

I have received some lovely PMs and the thoughts on this thread.

It is truly comforting to know I have friends on here who I have never met, who I am unlikely to ever meet but with whom I have a shared interest in this addictive hobby. And all of whom want to share to their respective knowledge with others who seek it.

I am absolutely truly humble tongiht.

I will absolutely stay. I work very full on full time in a very stressful job and this is my way of switching off and unwinding.

But GR if you are reading this...you were the first site I used. You are not the best but I want to be loyal and I like the tree set up.....but loyalty can be tested.

:-)

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 3 Jan 2012 20:16

Please don.t let them beat you.
I had a load of idiot reportings, just ride it out, they will get bored and stop in the end,
My coffee cup says, Keep Calm and carry on !!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Jan 2012 20:17

Right, let's get that wine open then! Mine's a large red seeing as you're offering. ;-)

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 3 Jan 2012 20:25

Sorry MC - opened and consumed - he he! :-P

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 3 Jan 2012 20:44

Hey Jude
I am sure i would be mortified if that happened to me!!

But it's us member's who appreciate the like's of you.

So onwards and upwards and don't let the others get you down. ;-)

GreatArtuin

GreatArtuin Report 3 Jan 2012 21:24

Every researcher/member/helper on this site is vital to it's future. I have great respect for you all, please KEEP THE FAITH and stay?