Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

General Shop + THE GOSPEL HALL - WATH UPON DEARNE

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sally

Sally Report 2 May 2012 12:06

Hi,
I have come to a full stop with my Aunt, well half Aunt.
Does anybody live or did live in WATH ON DEARNE,Yorkshire, and remember going into a shop - a general store, i thought it was a sweet shop, but have been told it was a general store. !!!! and were you served by a lady called Joyce MATHER, she died in 1980.
Joyce was married to an Edgar MATHER.
I have tried all ways to find info/photo of her.
I know she was born in Cardiff in 1919, and was married before Edgar.
ANY INFO AT ALL WOULD BE BRILL.
Thanks so much.
Sally :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 May 2012 12:35

Hi Sally - unlikely anyone with any knowledge of this will see your posting - can only suggest you use Search Trees to see if there are any connections to Joyce or Edgar on this site - you then have the option of contacting the tree owner if you find a connection

Sally

Sally Report 2 May 2012 12:53

Hi Ann,
I will have a look again, i have tried SO many ways to find someone who knew Joyce.
Thanks for your reply.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 May 2012 12:55

good luck!!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 May 2012 12:59

Could you find out which local newspapers covered the area at the time? You could then write a letter asking if anyone remembers her and ask if they would publish it for you. Most local papers have some sort of "memory lane" section now and again.

I managed to get in touch with my father's half sister by doing this. We did not know she existed until I started researching my family tree.

Good luck.

EDIT - seems there is the Rotheram Advertiser and a free paper called Dearne Valley Weekender.

Kath. x

Sally

Sally Report 2 May 2012 13:05

Thanks Kath,
I did contact the local paper in one place she lived and told them all my info, they said they would print it, but nothing.
Only found out my Dad had a half Sister when i started doing the family history, although my Dad did meet Joyce once or twice, but can't remember what he was told, - Men !!!!!!! and he is now in his 80's so memory not as good as it was.
Regards

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 May 2012 13:11

My dad and his two sisters knew nothing of this half sister and unfortunately all three of them had died before I started researching the family history. My grandfather had left his family and I found out that he later re-married and had this other daughter that I found.

We now write to each other and I must admit the newspaper was really good and published my letter within a week of receiving it and dad's half sister's sister-in-law emailed me on the same day that the letter was published.

I could never have found her without the newspaper's help.

Good luck - I know how you feel.

Kath. x

Sally

Sally Report 3 May 2012 15:32

Nudge

Sally

Sally Report 5 May 2012 09:37

Nudge

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 May 2012 09:54

Facebook-----Wath on Dearne have a community page within its facebook .you could try your luck there Sally.

Sally

Sally Report 5 May 2012 10:03

Thanks Kay, am not on facebook myself but will look into that.
Regards

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 5 May 2012 12:47

Hi Sally
Have you tried the ....

South Yorkshire Times
27-29 High Street
MEXBOROUGH
South Yorkshire
S64 9AF

Telephone: 01302 347279

email: editorial@dearnetoday.co.uk

Its the weekly newspaper for this area

or the free weekly newspaper....

Dearne Valley Weekender
84 High Street
Mexborough
South Yorkshire S64 9AU

Telephone: 01709 571111

Hope these help

Barbara x

Sally

Sally Report 5 May 2012 17:04

Oh thank you so much Barbara, how kind of you.
I have tried so many ways to find out info on my Dad's sister, this is the problem when there are family secrets !!!!!
I have her birth cert, two marriage certs and death cert.
I don't have any Aunts Or Uncles, both parents are only children, so it is a real wish to find out more about her school years in Cardiff, and her later years in Yorkshire, my jackpot would be to see a photo one day.!!!!!
Regards
Sallyx
:-)

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 5 May 2012 23:09

Hi Sally
What is the address on Joyce's death cert, and the informants name ?

I lived in Wath in the late 60's, but only for about 3 years before moving back to Mexborough, I have phoned a friend who has lived in Wath all her life, but I am afraid Joyce's name didn't "ring any bells" with her.

Another friend is in Spain at the moment, so I will ask her as soon as she is back (she is the one most likely to know, as she seems to know everything about everyone in the village--in a nice way though)

Barbara x

Sally

Sally Report 6 May 2012 18:21

Hi Barbara,
Thanks again for the reply.
I am not at my house at the mo, so don't have my certs to hand.
I do remember Joyce died in hospital, and the informant was a Hilton Horne, down as Brother in Law.
I have been lucky i guess, i found a Mather living in the house where Joyce lived with Edgar her husband, (a family house) and he told me a little about Joyce, his Mother used to keep in touch with her, but she is dead, i even had contact with Edgar's Great Nephew, via email but nothing really there either. :-( but i think i will contact him again, he thought his Grandmother had met her, but again nothing seems to have come from that.
Joyce's maiden name was BAVERSTOCK, not that i expect that will help !!!!! Joyce Violet BAVERSTOCK - born Cardiff, S Wales.(1919)

Sally x
:-)

Sally

Sally Report 7 May 2012 12:39

Nudge

Sally

Sally Report 7 May 2012 22:17

Nudge :-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 7 May 2012 22:42

Have you tried

http://www.dearnegallery.co.uk/gallery/index.php

They have old photos and you could ask them if any of their members remember your Mather sweet shop

also did you check on facebook?

http://www.facebook.com/WathUponDearne

Roy

Sally

Sally Report 7 May 2012 23:25

Hi Roy,
Many thanks for your reply.
I have not tried dearnegallery, but i will !!!!!!!!
I am not on Facebook, but may have to !!!!!!!
Regards

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 8 May 2012 12:49

Hi Sally,
I have been in touch with my friend, who was on holiday, but I am afraid she couldn't help, the names didn't "ring any bells" with her either !! :-(

She did ask if you knew the street / road where Joyce had lived on . ?

Barbara x