Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Rogers births - Info received

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Aug 2012 19:46

That explains it. They certainly moved around a bit.

Rose

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Aug 2012 18:46

Sidney Rogers
Mother's Maiden Surname: Steele
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1931
Registration district: Wokingham
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume Number: 2c
Page Number: 633

The GR member has confirmed that this is correct
:-)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Aug 2012 18:44

Out of interest, where is Sidney's birth? Not seeing a likely one.

Rose

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Aug 2012 10:15

Hi Rose. Yes those are births we now think are correct. Ralph & Sidney have died, but Betty became estranged from her mother and disappeared. Actually dates and gro # for those are known

I'm hoping that mother in law can have her memory prodded today, to see if she can remember anything else. The GR member has said that Betty 'took up with' a Barry but can't recall the surname or if they actually married. There was a child (name known) who it is believed was fostered as he had a genetic disorder. Although he may be living, most people with this condition die before they are 60.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 Aug 2012 07:11

???

Births Dec 1920
Rogers Ralph Steel Lincoln 7a 909

Births Jun 1924
Rogers Betty Steel Mildenhall 4a 1568

Rose

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Aug 2012 11:59

I am now in contact with a GR member who is a close relative of Sidney and is filling in the details.

Thank you to every one who has helped unravel this. :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Aug 2012 11:18

Woo Who! The last will and testament of Ralph Rogers has revealed a few skeletons in the cupboard!

Basically he says that Elizabeth Jane Steel (spinster) has been living as his wife since 1918, but he is still married to Emily Louise, to whom he has been giving an allowance

It states that Sidney and Bessie are Elizabeth Jane’s children (by him?) as is Ralph – but we know that Ralph’s mother is Emily Louise……unless the first Ralph died and another one was born to Elizabeth Jane Steel?

One sentence is ambiguous – We (Elizabeth and Ralph) have suffered hardships together and she has……so that I could provide for my wife…and I’m sure my legal wife will realise that I have tried to act as honourable man to herself- to my children and there (there as spelt) mother - -

Although I will try to have another go at sorting out the children – Ralph, Bessie and Sidney – but if anyone else would like to have a go? They could be recorded as Rogers or Steel, or double entered.

Extra info – Will dated 1934, at which time Emily Louise was living in Wimbledon.

Cheers!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jul 2012 10:30

UPDATE

Eventually coughed up for an ER look up for 'Ezeldene', Reading Rd, Winnersh.

Electoral Register, Newbury 1938 (C/CL/R1/52/2): Edzeldene, Reading Road, Winnersh: Ralph Rogers-O (qualified to vote through occupation) and Elizabeth Jane Rogers-DW (qualified to vote through husbands occupation).

Electoral Register, Newbury 1939 (C/CL/R1/53/1): Edzeldene, Reading Road, Winnersh: Ralph Rogers-O (qualified to vote through occupation) and Elizabeth Jane Rogers-DW (qualified to vote through husbands occupation).

Electoral Register, Newbury 1945 (C/CL/R1/54/2): Edzeldene, Reading Road, Winnersh: The property is not listed and neither Ralph nor Elizabeth Rogers are listed.

In 1946 another couple Leslie C Saunders and Marion Saunders are living there - no obvious relationship to the Rogers.

You'll recall that an Elizabeth Jane Steel (spinster) was granted Probate when Ralph died in 1947.

Ralph Rogers
Probate Date: 25 Nov 1947
Death Date: 28 Sep 1947
Death Place: Reading
Registry: Oxfordshire, England

So either Elizabeth Jane was living as Ralph's wife, or she was the missing 'Betty'.

Although the £10 wasn't totally wasted, I shall deffinately have to buy the Will and Probate.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jun 2012 18:07

Gosh! Only checked this as the hungry hoard need feeding!

Thank you Chris - that more or less confirms Ralph G as the son of Ralph and Emily :-D

Don't worry Dea. Is it any wonder that this family has been on the back burner for a couple of years? ;-)

Will try to be back later, but will certainly add when there is anything concrete to add.

Thank yooossss

xxx

Dea

Dea Report 10 Jun 2012 17:14

It's doing my head in too Det !!

I haven't posted because I haven't found anything useful but I have been looking !!!......................drattttt !

Dea Xxx

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 10 Jun 2012 16:55

Baptism

Day:6
Month:Feb
Year:1916
Forenames:Ralph Gilbert
Surname:ROGERS
Relationship:of
Father forenames:Ralph
Fathers occupation:builders foreman
Mother forenames:Emily Louisa
Birth Day:
Birth Month:
Birth Year:
Abode:of Derby St
Place:Grantchester
County:Cambridgeshire,England
Notes:[in margin - St Marks]
Data provider:Cambridgeshire Family History Society

(saw the above, if any good, FMP)

Chris :)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jun 2012 12:55

Good point Susan.

Its looking as if Betty and Sidney (which could have been a 2nd name) might have been adopted, even if unofficially.

Off out now - will check back later.

Thank you to everyone who has looked, or had an input

:-)

Susan

Susan Report 10 Jun 2012 11:58

Ralph is the only Rogers Sulston birth I can see

There are a few Rogers/Selston births,there appears to be three but all spelt Selston

Births Jun 1915 (>99%)

Rogers Ralph G Sulston Chesterton 3b 726

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jun 2012 11:49

Ooooo - this is doing me head in :-0

Thank you for the suggestion - there are an awful lot of Rogers in the Berks/Bucks/Oxon areas and sometimes it's difficult to sort out who is who. ;-)

Susan

Susan Report 10 Jun 2012 11:37

I wonder if Emily remarried.

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005
about Emily L Rogers Name: Emily L Rogers
Spouse Surname: Harley
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1925
Registration district: Oxford
Inferred County: Oxfordshire
Volume Number: 3a
Page Number: 1457
Find Spouse: John J Harley

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jun 2012 10:44

Email fired off to Winnersh Library - last time I tried, I don't think they held them, but things may have changed!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jun 2012 10:33

Thank you for the link - I'll have another go at tracking the ER down as I do have an address.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Jun 2012 10:29

Contact Winnersh library for the electoral rolls.

http://info.wokingham.gov.uk/kb5/wokingham/info/view.page?record=ZUAJHz8GKIU

Rose

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jun 2012 10:23

That's true Rose, although why a different surname and a spinster? Are divorcees refered to as spinsters unless she was a friend?

There is only one way to find out - cough up £6 - lol.

Thank you

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Jun 2012 10:16

Go for probate as Betty could be a nickname.

Rose