Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Arthur Salt

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 19 Aug 2012 20:51

Arthur Salt and Ellen Betts married in 1926 they had several children, I know two of the daughters were Florence Ada and Barbara. Any information regarding Arthur and Ellen would be appreciated.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Aug 2012 20:52

Marriage cert ?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Aug 2012 20:54

Marriages Mar 1926 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betts Ellen Salt Stafford 6b 23
Fenton Harry Jones Stafford 6b 23
Jones Phoebe Fenton Stafford 6b 23
Power Ellen Salt Stafford 6b 23
Salt Arthur Power Stafford 6b 23
Salt Arthur Betts Stafford 6b 23

Pam

Pam Report 19 Aug 2012 20:56

Birth information for 4 possible children sent.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Aug 2012 20:58

Buy the marriage cert it looks like Ellen may have had a previous marriage

Marriages Mar 1926

Salt Arthur Power Stafford 6b 23
Salt Arthur Betts Stafford 6b 23

image says Arthur married power or betts which suggest a prevoius marriage

Roy

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Aug 2012 21:00

Do you know when Arthur and Ellen died ?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Aug 2012 21:01

Marriages Mar 1914

BETTS Ellen Power Lichfield 6b 651
Hollings Joseph Simmons Lichfield 6b 651
Power John Betts Lichfield 6b 651
Simmons Ada Hollings Lichfield 6b 651

Roy

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Aug 2012 21:01

??

Marriages Mar 1914 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BETTS Ellen Power Lichfield 6b 651
Power John Betts Lichfield 6b 651

Pam

Pam Report 19 Aug 2012 21:01

Possible first marriage for Ellen:

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

Marriages Mar 1914 (>99%)

>>>BETTS Ellen Power Lichfield 6b 651
>>>Power John Betts Lichfield 6b 651

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Aug 2012 21:02

Great minds think alike

So it is back to that marriage cert for their ages and names of fathers etc

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Aug 2012 21:14

Births Mar 1915

Power Gwendoline Betts Lichfield 6b 904

Births Jun 1919

Power John Betts Tamworth 6b 606a

Births Jun 1923

Power Arthur Betts Stafford 6b 5

Births Dec 1924

Power Marjorie J Betts Stafford 6b 20

Roy

Pam

Pam Report 19 Aug 2012 21:20

Births Dec 1897 (>99%)

Betts Ellen Stafford 6b 4

A possible birth for Ellen but you really need a marriage certificate for her age and parents.

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 19 Aug 2012 22:06

Why do grandchildren have bad dreams and need settling when there is important questions to be answered ... sorry for not replying sooner everyone just blame the kids!
I believe Ellen died about 1931, I know Barbara was very young but I don't really know much about the family at all which is why I'm looking them up and why I have asked for ANY information.
I found something relating to a John Power and Ellen Betts but got a bit lost with the children and wasn't sure then if I'd got the correct line.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 19 Aug 2012 22:25

??

Deaths Dec 1931 (>99%)

SALT Ellen 39 Stafford 6b 19

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 19 Aug 2012 22:41

Thanks. When did Arthur die do you know and do you know if John Power was killed in ww1.
I know that when Barbara was born Ellens' maiden name was down as Betts no mention of Power

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Aug 2012 22:53

Birth certificates from that time should list all previous names for the mother

for info on all bmd certs see

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

Roy

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 19 Aug 2012 23:01

That is what I thought but only the names of Salt and maiden name of Betts were shown - could this be because the certificate asks for the mothers maiden name or maybe she did it by choice if she was divorced?
I'll get on to that site now Roy and thanks
Lynne

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 20 Aug 2012 00:01

Divorce was expensive in those days, not may got divorced they tended to either wait until their ex died or entered into a bigamous marriage

Strange that she would admit having a previous marriage when getting married for the second time and then not when registering a birth "assuming you have one of the birth certs" ?

The index would not show all previous names for a mother it would only show her name that she was known by at the time of the birth and her maiden name

All other names would only be listed on the actual birth certificate

If all the info was on the index we would not need certificates

Roy

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 20 Aug 2012 10:23

Hi Roy,
Yes I do have one of the birth certificates I looked at it this morning to check what I thought and it does not mention Power. Still I suppose this is only a minor detail as it appears the rest of the information all ties in with her being married twice.
Its interesting to note that one son is named John then the next child born also a son is called Arthur, these being the names of both her husbands - is this a coincidence as she didn't marry Arthur Salt until three years after this child was born or had she already met Arthur Salt? Its obviously something I will never find out for sure. Such mysteries make the research more interesting!
Lynne

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Aug 2012 11:09

Hello Lynne - this thread is showing as "answered" - are you happy that you have all of the information you need? If not, then I'd suggest you go to your first post at the top - you'll see a button that says something like "mark this as unanswered" - click on that if you want people to continue to help.