Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Zachariah Swales - 1911

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 6 Oct 2012 13:33

So how long were John Swales and Elizabeth Gordon an item for? And is he the father of Priscilla and Dinah.

Lavinia Stephenson is definitiely the mother of Zacheriah as I have seen the baptism.

Peter

Peter Report 6 Oct 2012 15:38

Thanks Mike ... this is confusing but starting to make more sense now!

So, is John Swales the father of Priscilla and Dinah?! Or don't you know?! And do Dinah Swales senior and Flora Swales connect? Are they related?

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 6 Oct 2012 15:43

Can I ask

Is this Swales /swale family yours ?

As yesterday we looked for BOWMAN for you and this showed in 1871 that they lived with a family called Swales BUT on that census it said the Swale family are lodgers ...It didnt indicate that the swales were related to the Bowmans?

Peter

Peter Report 6 Oct 2012 15:47

Hey Kempina,

Yes I am related to the Swales. The Bowman - Mary was a Swales before she married and a sister of the John Swales mentioned here.

It is all quite confusing! If you can help unravel it, I would be most grateful.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 6 Oct 2012 16:02

Unravel it ..........lol

Peter I,m still trying to do the same with my crazy family

But it does give us something to do on a chill saturday ..

I will take a look here BUT I must say if Glitterbaby is on this case and she cant unravel it theres no way on earth I could do it

Glitterbaby is one of "our" best hunters

But Good Luck Peter and enjoy

Peter

Peter Report 6 Oct 2012 16:11

No, we shall unravel it! I am confident and yes Glitterbaby is great. As are numerous other reserchers on here.

Good Luck with your search also!

Peter

Mike *

Mike * Report 6 Oct 2012 19:23

Sorry , never been able to find a marriage for Elizabeth Gordon to John Swales. Her first child in 1852 was registered as Elizabeth Gordon so the marriage if there was one must have been after that.

She then had 8 children from 1856 with the Swales surname Priscilla being one of them.

Dinah I suspect was born Morrison ( again can't find a marriage) but when mother Elizabeth then married William Ireland in 1876 she married as Morrison, with her father named as John Gordon.

Peter

Peter Report 6 Oct 2012 19:36

Wow, ok ... so, it seems things were more difficult with John Swales and his wife Lavinia that I first imagined. When she was admitted to the aslym she was diagnosed with a pregnancy fever that had caused a mania. Now I wonder if John was the father of the baby, Clifton Swales, born in the asylum in 1861 (from memory, John was offically recorded as the father). And then Lavinia then had at least another three children after this. Wow, how complex.

If I pm you Mike am I able to be emailed scans of all the relevent documents you have for this family? I would really like to sort all of this out.