Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MACDERMIDS on Scottish censuses

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 6 Dec 2012 13:51

My mistake , Malcom MacDermid b1862+wife Jean b1864 were probably not alive in 1960 the photos we have of great grandparents were the Stevensons my grandmother's parents . Also my aunt beleives that her father was lookedafter byanelder sister at some point before 1917 because hismother jean had already died .

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 22 Jun 2013 19:38

So far I have these spellings in records .MacDermid, McDermid, McDearmid.Mcdiarmid the d at the end is pretty consistant tho

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 23 Jun 2013 14:21

Alisoun, if you have the chance, visit the Scotlands People centre in Edinburgh. For 15 pounds You can use their search rooms and computers from 9 a.m. to 4.30 pm weekdays. You can also have a free "taster session" ..a couple of hours with experts to assist you. This is a good way to learn the system.

Regarding spelling variations, obviously these are worse the further back you go but usually by the 20th century there is consistency. Errors in the statutory (post 1855) period are usually caused by census enumerators in the presence of illiterate citizens.

As a general rule a Mac name is of Irish origin and a Mc is Scottish.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jun 2013 15:41

Alisoun -
did you ever get the 1911 census, as requested in your OP?

I can't cut & paste it, as Scotlands People only shows the image, but the details are:

Address: 92 River Rd, Kenmuir, Old Monkland.
Jeani McDermid, 47, Head, widow
Agnes, 25, Daughter, single - Bonded Warehouse
Jeanie, 22, daughter, single - Bleaching & Finishing Wks
Andrew, 19, son, single - cloth lapper at bleaching & finishing wks
Malcolm, 17, son, single - boot repairer, shop
Walter, 14, son - apprentice, grocer shop
James, 9, son - school
Thomas, 7, son - school
Christine, 3, daughter
John, 7 months, son

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 24 Jun 2013 08:29

Thanks Malcom ,my father was quite insistant on using the Mac and the capital D but as he didn't live in Scotland most of his life he may not have known the Irish/scottish convention . Not much likelihood of any of us getting to edinburgh in the near future
'
Argyllgran so nice of you to post the 1911 details we hadn't got them as had been more involved withtracing maternal relatives .

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 23 Jul 2013 08:03

There are several macdermids/mcdermids from Cumbuslang on family trees but noone seems to have more than 1 of my ancestors names and birth date ;i usually contact people who have more than 1 faamily member listed as it avoids mixing with distant cousins of same names but will try a few .

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 1 Oct 2013 00:36

my grandmother Mary(Polly)Blaine Stevenson always said she was a distant cousin of grandad Macdermid but i haven't worked out the connection yet ; via great grandma Kyle i think .
2 of grandma's sisters also married their cousins Stevenson + Mcfarlane names
These names crop up when I'm looking at the wrong Macdermids ....so i'm guessing this was very common in close knit communities .