Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for a John McEntee

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 7 Nov 2012 10:45

Hello all. I have been trying to trace what became of an ancestor of mine (death) just after 1900. Obviously his name was John McEntee. Scottish census results for 1871 and 1891 for him reveals he was born in Ireland about 1844 . He married a Mary Ann McAloon (also Irish born) in Glasgow in 1870 ----- John's parents are shown as Bernard McEntee and Mary Bresley (Sp?) . I have his wife, Mary Ann McEntee (nee McAloon) dying in Glasgow in 1909, but her husband John seems to have vanished. Some of the children's marriage or death registrations in Scotland suggest he was alive in 1913 but dead by 1926. I have not been able to find a Scottish death that fits.
I have a couple of clues regarding my search for his death:
A son was a marine boilermaker (from 1911 Scottish census) ----- I believe I found him traveling a few times between the UK and Canada and the US between the period 1906 and early 1911 . The son gives his next of kin on his early immigration details as father, John McEntee, of Scotland. His later travel documents shows his next of kin, again his father, is now of Fermanagh, Ireland. This may mean John Snr, the one I am searching for, returned to Ireland following his wife's death.
There is a John McEntee of the correct age (69) on the 1911 Irish census in a small place called Eshywulligan (Eshawulligan) in Roslea where the names McEntee, McAloon and Breslin are grouped together and common despite the small size of the place. There is no John McEntee of the correct age in the same place in the 1901 Irish census. My thoughts are that the John McEntee in question returned to his birthplace of Eshywulligan after the death of his wife.
I guess I am looking for the death of a John McEntee age 70 to 86 between the years of 1912 to 1927 in the townland of Eshywulligan, Roslea, Fermanagh, Ireland.
I'd be grateful for any help.
Kind regards,
Bill

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 7 Nov 2012 17:35

Bill...Maybe a possibility...

Name: John McEntee
Registration district: Clones
Event type: DEATHS
Registration quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1916
Estimated birth year: 1841 age (at death): 75
Film number: 0101606
Volume number: 3
Page number: 70 digital folder number: 4201710 image number: 00593

There is also another John McEntee listed b.1852 d.1917

Have you seen the thread for John (2009)" Patrick son of John and Mary Ann" ..if not here is link...

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1141452

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 7 Nov 2012 17:44

On his wife's death certificate say she was "married to" or "widow of" John, please?

William

William Report 7 Nov 2012 22:33

Many thanks for the replies, they are greatly appreciated:
Eringbragh,
I have seen that thread and the Patrick discussed there is the second son of the John McEntee I am seeking.
I have a daughter's marriage registration (Scotland) which has John living in 1913 and another daughter's death registration (Scotland) which has him deceased in 1926.
The Clones death you have looks promising: Eshywulligan is in the parish of Clones. The age is near enough to correct 1841(estimated) vs 1843. In Scotland he was a journeyman stonemason. It is a pity the Irish records do not hint at the parents [ Bernard McEntee and Mary Bresley ] (Breslin). I don't suppose there is anyway to confirm this without purchasing the death certificate which may then turn out to be the wrong person. :-S
The other death is probably of a different person with a birth in 1852 being a little too late.

Rootgatherer:
On John's wife's death registration of 1909 it states she is "wife of" not "widow of" indicating he was alive when she died. A son registered the death rather than her husband, John (which may or may not mean anything).

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 7 Nov 2012 23:20

Bill
It may be worth checking with St.Tierneys Church to see if they hold the Burial Register for the date in question.
Alternatively it may be worth checking if Margaret and Catherine (1901/1911) were daughters of Bernard which would then show John (1911) was in fact your John.

William

William Report 8 Nov 2012 03:09

Eringobragh,
Is it not wonderful when you find something new which makes the whole picture a little clearer. When you mentioned a Margaret and a Catherine I checked the name Catherine McEntee with the St Tierney's births list I found on another site. (the family had an unusually large gap in births between 1877 and 1882) There I found a birth of a Catherine McEntee to a John McEntee and a Mary Ann McAloon in Eshawulligan on 1st July 1878. I have now found her death registration, age 2 years, in 1880 in Glasgow. The link between Eshywulligan and the McEntees confirms for me I have the right John and that is most likely his death in 1916. It seems the family went to Scotland in 1870, returned to Ireland about 1877/1878 and returned to Glasgow about 1880. He must have indeed returned to Ireland after his wife's death and died where he was born.
Many thanks ,
Bill
Now all I have to do is get the PRONI registration details to get the relevent certificates. (Catherine birth, John's death). Any idea of the costs involved in obtaining these registration details.

William

William Report 8 Nov 2012 23:33

Hello once again.
Could somebody tell me what is the most cost effective way of obtaining historical BDM images from Northern Ireland? I don't really want to get the full legal certificates, just an image of the registrations for my tree records.
Additionally, in Eringobragh's post above:

"Name: John McEntee
Registration district: Clones
Event type: DEATHS
Registration quarter and year: Jul - Sep 1916
Estimated birth year: 1841 age (at death): 75
Film number: 0101606
Volume number: 3
Page number: 70 digital folder number: 4201710 image number: 00593"

does it contain the details I have to supply to the Irish registry office to obtain the correct image without them having to conduct a search?
Kind regards,
Bill

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Jan 2013 13:31

new thread:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1318032?jump=1318032