Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

World War II regiments

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 15 Nov 2012 20:48

I am trying to find the regiment that my wife's father joined in World War II. He was called up at the start of the war. The only information have is that he went to Lichfield Staffordshire to join the Regiment. He served in Northern Europe. He came from Shropshire. Can anyone help me with a name of what regiment he may have joined.

Thanks
Allan

Dea

Dea Report 15 Nov 2012 20:50

I am not sure that anyone would be able to find info on WWII regiments, however, it would be completely impossible without a name !!!

Dea Xxx

JudyS

JudyS Report 15 Nov 2012 21:44

I found which regiment my great-grandfather was in by searching census records. I found him at Beverley in Yorkshire, in the barracks with the other soldiers of the regiment. His wife and child were listed in the same place but in a separate building.

That of course doesn't help you, if it's WWII you're looking for.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 15 Nov 2012 21:46

He could have been drafted into any unit within the British Army, but being Lichfield it might be the Staffordshire regiment.
Apply for his service records, available to NOK These record are still held by the MOD so not in the public domain

Here is the link it explains all

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

However they cost £30-00 and can take as long as 9 months to receive them, not much help if you wish to know now

George

Dea

Dea Report 15 Nov 2012 21:46

I think that must have been in WWI JudyS ???
WWII is much more difficult !

Dea Xxx

P.S. - Hi George !!!

Dea Xxx

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 15 Nov 2012 21:48

Hi Dea ~~~~~~~

George

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 Nov 2012 22:25

Whilst he was a serving soldier did he get married or Have children? If so then marriage and birth certs should have this Rank and regimental number and possibly the name of his Regiment

Roy

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 15 Nov 2012 23:08

Have you tried this site?

http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/

Welcome to our Military Records site , the definitive location for military genealogy records from WW2, WW1, Boer War, Crimean War and beyond

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Nov 2012 09:12

forces-war-records. Hold military records that are already open to the public they do not hold WW2 personnel service records they are held by the MOD

Roy

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 16 Nov 2012 10:44

To confirm what Roy has mentioned, i have previously subscribed to Forces War Records, i can assure you that they do not have WW2 Service records/

It is also a subscription site,

George

Allan

Allan Report 18 Nov 2012 15:03

Thanks very much for your advise. I'll be following them. His name is Frank Richard Davies and he was born in 1912. He got married in November 1945 not sure he was in the army then but i'll send for it. Thanks for your help I'll let you know if I have any success.

Allan

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 21 Nov 2012 13:59

Is this your man?
found on the national Archives

Recommendation for Award for Davies, Frank Richard Rank: ...

1945 Reference: WO 373/54/907

Details
Browse by Hierarchy
Browse by Reference
View this record

New search
Print

Sample image
Order and viewing options
£3.36
2 pages totalling 76 KB across 1 PDF file(s)
Add to basket sets a cookie
Add to basket
View at The National Archives for free

Reference:WO 373/54/907
Description:
Name Davies, Frank Richard
Service No: 2036570
Regiment: Corps of Royal Engineers
Theatre of Combat or Operation: North West Europe 1944-45
Award: Military Medal
Date of Announcement in London Gazette: 12 July 1945
Date: 1945