Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacky

Jacky Report 22 Nov 2012 10:36

morning
i just wondered if anyone can solve a problem for me i have found the birth i was looking for on ancestry (living person ) but when i have gone on to freebmd to see if it gives area of the city of birth its not there neither are the 2 other siblings but all 3 are on ancestry ????
many many thanks iin advance for your time & answers

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Nov 2012 10:40

Perhaps it is mistranscribed on other sites.

Without a name helpers can do nothing.

Dea

Dea Report 22 Nov 2012 10:40

If it is on Ancestry it should be on FreeBMD, unless it is after about 1950 or so which FreeBMD doesn't cover ??

Mind you, the exact area of the city will probably not be given, just the registration district.

Do you want to pm me the details and I could take a look for you?

Dea x

Jacky

Jacky Report 22 Nov 2012 10:42

thanks for replies
dea i will send you a pm now thank you

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Nov 2012 10:43

I will leave you to it Dea.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Nov 2012 13:30

You can't get any more info than is on Ancestry without buying the cert(s)

Dea

Dea Report 22 Nov 2012 13:49

Whilst I would, in general, agree with you Reggie - there are certain 'local' sites e.g LancsBMD and those covering other areas (Yorkshire, Cheshire + others) where the actual part of the district is given e.g Cheetham, Failsworth, Newton Heath, etc which would all be on FreeBMD as 'Manchester' and mothers maiden names are often given before 1911.

Dea x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Nov 2012 15:09

Agreed....but the poster was referring only to Ancestry and freebmd, and is looking for - one assumes - recent events

I use (and recommend) LancsBMD a great deal........plus one you haven't mentioned, which is GlosBMD.

mgnv

mgnv Report 22 Nov 2012 23:15

If I look up a post-1915 birth on Ancestry, I see:

Name Date of Registration District County View Image
John Smith info year city Durham Order Record

As you can tell, I don't have a sub, so I can't see all the details.
However, I can click on the shopping basket to start having Ancestry place a b.cert order for me (at a hefty mark-up) and see most of the details, specifically:

Particulars of the person whose Birth Certificate is required
Surname at Birth
Forename(s) at Birth
?
Reference Information from GRO Index
Year (yyyy)
Quarter
District Name
Volume Number
Page Number

What I can't see is the mum's Maiden Surname on births (1911q3 on), age at death/d.o.b on deaths 1866 on, spouse's surname on marrs 1912 on.
However, even if FreeBMD hasn't transcribed the entry, I can take the "view images" link on their homepage, go thru their klunky interface and eventually get to the page and make my own transcription thru 1983.

Although FreeBMD have completed no quarter of births past 1962q1, and have 22 incomplete quarters before that, it doesn't matter here as it's a fake example, so I see:

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Mar 1961 (>99%)
SMITH John JONES Durham W. 1a 1039

which is precisely what I'd see on Ancestry with a sub, and is all the info that's in the GRO index.

Now, as was pointed out above, there are a number of local indexes online.
I think they're all at: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd
A local index typically shows the subdistrict the birth was rego'ed in, so:

Surname: SMITH
Forename: John
Year: 1961
District: Durham Western

But if I click on the postal application form here, I also see:
Register No. - Entry No. - District
CROOK/15DW - 372 - Durham Western (1964)

so this birth was rego'ed in the Crook subdistrict.
NB If I click on the "Durham W." in my FreeBMD hit, then the more info "here" link, I get to see a list of the villages/parishes, etc., in Durham Western district, along with:

DURHAM WESTERN REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Sub-districts : Bishop Auckland, Crook, Shildon, Weardale.
Registers now held by : County of Durham and Darlington.

Usually, with this one can guess what the code CROOK stands for.
An earlier Durham RD example is:

Birth certificate for:
Surname: CLOUGH
Forename: William Newton
Year: 1870
District: Durham Western
Register No. - Entry No. - District
DCSO+38 - 311 - Durham Western (1870)

so here one can guess DCSO is the St. Oswald subdistrict of Durham RD - roughly Durham city and environs south of the Wear.

Some indexes, like Lancs & Glos, decode it for you.