Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1851 Census look-up please Carmarthenshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 25 Nov 2012 08:58

Seeking Margaret David b. 1808 Llanelly. Thanks

patchem

patchem Report 25 Nov 2012 09:10

Is that her maiden or married name?
Have you found her in 1841 or 1861?
Thanks

Added: (Sorry I cannot read the original, my ancestry is playing up, her Mother cannot be younger than her, so something mis-transcribed?)
Is this her in 1861?
1861 Wales Census
Margaret Howell [Margaret David] Age: 53 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1808 Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Hector Howell
Mother's Name: Elizabeth David
Gender: Female Where born: Llanelly, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Civil Parish or Township: Llanelly Town: Llanelly County/Island: Carmarthenshire Country: Wales
Registration district: Llanelly Sub-registration district: Llanelly
ED, institution, or vessel: 6 Household schedule number: 94 Piece: 4112 Folio: 36 Page Number: 18
Hector Howell 52
Margaret Howell 53
John Howell 12
Joseph Howell 5
Elizabeth Howell 15
Elizabeth David 32
Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 4112; Folio: 36; Page: 18; GSU roll: 543237.

or this one?
1861 Wales Census
Margaret David Age: 55 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1806
Relation: Head Gender: Female Where born: Llanelly, Carmarthenshire, Wales Civil Parish or Township: Llanelly Town: Llanelly County/Island: Carmarthenshire Country: Wales
Registration district: Llanelly Sub-registration district: Llanelly
ED, institution, or vessel: 6 Household schedule number: 291 Piece: 4112
Folio: 55 Page Number: 56
Margaret David 55
Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 4112; Folio: 55; Page: 56; GSU roll: 543237.

Flip

Flip Report 25 Nov 2012 09:25

Pat, Elizabeth David is the m-i-l and it looks like she is 92, its definely not 32.

patchem

patchem Report 25 Nov 2012 09:58

Thanks, Flip.
Waiting for more information from poster. (And my Ancestry to wake-uo)

Flip

Flip Report 25 Nov 2012 10:12

Yes, Sylvia appears to have posted and run! Not much point checking further without some more info.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 25 Nov 2012 12:39

Sorry if I upset someone. Late getting up so had to go and shower and start the day.
Posted while having a cup of tea. You are all too early for me this morning but thank you for info. Genes has on 1851 Census Margaret David b. 1808 birthplace Pembrey, Llanelly so wanted to check her out as. Marriage found 1830 of Anthony David and Margaret David but the only Anthony David (Bach) from Llangennech appears to have been born 1776 and would have been 54 as to Margaret 22.
If Anthony died Margaret could well have married again.
Sorry if it sounds complicated, Carmarthenshire has always been for me.

Flip

Flip Report 25 Nov 2012 13:04

This is the only one I can see to match what GR has??

Margaret David
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1808
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: William David
Where born: Pembrey, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Civil Parish or Township: Pembrey
Ecclesiastical parish: Carmarthen
County/Island: Carmarthenshire
Registration district: Llanelly
Sub-registration district: Pembrey
ED, institution, or vessel: 1b
Piece: 2469
Folio: 26
Page Number: 7
Household schedule number: 19
Household Members: Name Age
William David 83
Margaret David 43

Lazy so-an-so

;-) ;-)

Added - he's a retired farmer and she is unmarried.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 25 Nov 2012 13:04

Family search has Marriage of Hector Howell to Margaret David - Llanelly 1835.

Flip

Flip Report 25 Nov 2012 13:12

How have you got back to Margaret, have you found her on any other census? If you are saying she married in 1835 shouldn't you be looking under her married name?

patchem

patchem Report 25 Nov 2012 13:14

1841 Wales Census
Hector Howell Age: 25 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1816
Civil parish: Llanedy Hundred: Carnwallon County/Island: Carmarthenshire Country: Wales Registration district: Llanelly Sub-registration district: Llanelly
Piece: 1379 Book: 6 Folio: 38 Page Number: 25
Hector Howell 25
Margaret Howell 30
Anne Howell 5
Margaret Howell 3
William Howell 3 Mo
Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1379; Book: 6; Civil Parish: Llanedy; County: Carmarthenshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 38; Page: 25; Line: 2; GSU roll: 464306.

Who is your ancestor?
Thanks

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 25 Nov 2012 14:44

Thanks Patchem,
My direct Ancestor is William David bap 1/2/1801 Llandarrog, Carms (I have photostat copy from Carmarthen Record Centre) Also photostat copy of Marr. entry to Jane Lewis 1832 St.Elli. Llanelly. Have researched William and Jane. My research from help has found two brothers Thomas David Bap.12/12/1802 who I believe married Anne Rees 1821 St.Elli, Llanelly (settled in Swansea and research ongoing). Also John bap. 30/9/1804 Llandarrog married I believe Elizabeth Thomas 1829 St.Elli, Llanelly (research still ongoing).
Have recently found a dau. Margaret David bap.3/4/1808 Llandarrog who is the one I hope to find info.

Entries in Parish Registers did not always mention Mothers but John is the Father and believe he married Elizabeth(could be Elizabeth Arthur) 1/1/1799 Llandarrog.
Usually child born year after marriage so only guessing on my part.

I have some Microfiche BMD's of Llandarrog transcribed by Dyfed FHS and Carmarthenshire Marriages but all are transcribed and subject to human error and with entries possibly missing due to not being able to read.
All other Microfiche from other Record Centres have original entries photostat.
Carmarthen Record Centre told me a while ago that it was too expensive to do.If anyone can confirm my research on siblings of William I will be only too happy to purchase photocopies of baptism entries.I might add that sometimes the surname David got intermingled with Davies due to Registrar or Enumerator of Census misunderstanding which makes it doubly difficult which is why it has taken me years to research. Giving up on occasions but having another go.Thank you for your time.

Flip

Flip Report 25 Nov 2012 15:05

So she was born Margaret David c1808 Llandarrog, and you consider her father to be John David and mother to be Elizabeth?

Did John and Elizabeth David survive to be on any census?

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 25 Nov 2012 15:32

Hi Flip, there are so many John and Elizabeth David's it is difficult to know who is who.
I have CD disc of Carmarthen with 1851 Census for Llanelly. Again it is transcribed, just names ages and address. Does not give a true picture. Just bare info.
At Mount Pleasant there is mentioned a John Davids (with s) Age 75 and Elizabeth 70. This is HO107 1379 5/6 7. If you can understand that. This may be them as I know William and Jane and family are at 5 Caemain, Llanelly. The Farm "Cwmcoch" at Llandarrog is tenanted by a Davies family (Could well be related).

My Grt.Grandfather kept to surname "David" and married and registered his children in surname of "David" except one, my Grandfather was registered with surname of "Davies". Took me years to find his Birth Cert. costing loads in processs. Every detail same as siblings except surname. Hence the name change in my family - all Davies I blame Registrar as many parents could not read or write so relied on people in office.
If you can look at John and Elizabeth at Mount Pleasant perhaps they have birthplace. I know John on Marr. Entry said from Llanartheney. Thank you again for your time.

patchem

patchem Report 25 Nov 2012 16:11

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,446950.0.html

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 25 Nov 2012 18:51

Thanks patchem, Shows how long ago I have been looking and gave up. Still none the wiser as to birthplace of younger John and Elizabeth. My CD does not give birthplace, neither did info.given