Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Records

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma Louise

Emma Louise Report 26 Nov 2012 21:56

Hi All
Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I would be able to find a birth record for my grt grandfather James Hayes 27/9/1889 from New Ross, Parents Thomas Hayes and Catherine Finn and possibly their marriage record?
Many Thanks
Emma

Catherine

Catherine Report 26 Nov 2012 22:16

A tree on ancestry has this:-

James Hayes
Davies Family Tree
BIRTH: 27/09/1889 (27 Sep 1889) - Wexford, Ireland
DEATH: 15/02/1972 (15 Feb 1972) - Neath, Glamorgan, Wales
PARENTS: Patrick Thomas Hayes, Catherine Finn
SPOUSE: Alice Elise Bowen

...........so, if this is correct, father would be Patrick Thomas and not just Thomas!

....also:-
Catherine Finn
Birth 04/10/1843 in Kilkenny, Ireland
Death 1916 in New Ross, Wexford, Ireland

Emma Louise

Emma Louise Report 26 Nov 2012 22:28

Hi Catherine
That Is my tree on Ancestry but from information I was given by someone else doing the same family tree but I want to find records so that i'm positive that i'm on the right track but i'm not sure where the best place is to find irish records.
Thanks

Catherine

Catherine Report 26 Nov 2012 22:36

Ancestry has some Irish bmd or you could try National Archives for 1901 and 1911 Irish census records.

You could also try familysearch.org

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Nov 2012 22:38

Emma...

I have looked at the details from the pedigree listed and would treat with caution...

There are only 4 children listed yet the couple married 1865....1st child shown b 1880....equally Catherine (b Kilkenny) is living New Ross 1901 ....but ages of children do not match who you are seraching for...

Residents of a house 20 in Irishtown (New Ross Urban, Wexford)
Show all information

Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion
Hayes Catherine 50 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic
Hayes Patrick 27 Male Son Roman Catholic
Hayes James 23 Male Son Roman Catholic

Ardene

Ardene Report 26 Nov 2012 22:57

sometimes when the census is taken the full spelling and ages could easily be guessed, as the person giving the details to the person writing down could be wrong. try the registrar offices in Dublin or Roscommon if you want to get copies of the certificates.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 27 Nov 2012 00:04

Not exactly sure if you are on the right track or where your Hayes/Finn marriage date came from, but this should help....

I checked for the marriage using rootsireland.ie
A copy of the marriage for Thomas Hayes and Catherine Finn can be purchased on there

Cost Source Surname First Name Year County
25 credits
Church Marriage Hayes Thomas 1875 Co. Kilkenny
Church Marriage Finn Catherine 1875 Co. Kilkenny

There is only one march for a birth/baptism with parents above:
25 credits Church Baptism Hayes Mary 1875 Co. Kilkenny

By searching for birth/baptisms purely on Hayes with father called Thomas and mother called Catherine ( no maternal surname is entered for this search)

No guarantee that the mother is Catherine Finn!

25 credits Civil Birth Hayes Catherine 1876 Co. Kilkenny
25 credits Church Baptism Hayes Catherine 1876 Co. Kilkenny

Anne

Edit.
Forgot to add that by searching for birth/baptisms using father :Thomas Hayes and Mother: Catherine.
There were 13 other records in Kilkenny. All were dated from 1851 to 1874 which doesn't quite fit with an 1875 marriage

Also ran a check on James Hayes b 1889 in Wexford.
Only one match and his father was called Andrew!

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 27 Nov 2012 01:07

Do you have the 1912 marriage cert for James J Hayes and Alice Bowen?
If so, what was his father's name?

Emma Louise

Emma Louise Report 27 Nov 2012 09:14

On James J Hayes and Alice Bowens marriage cert his fathers name is Thomas Hayes (Deceased). I have James J Hayes Register of Baptism record and that is how I have got this parents name.

A distant relative has given me the research he has done but somethings do not add up so I thought id start at the bottom and work myself up.

Thank you for you help I will order their marriage cert and go from there.

Eringobragh1916 - Where did you find this information so I can have a look myself. According to a relative they married 1865 in Wexford and had 4 children between 1880-1889.

Many Thanks

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Nov 2012 09:38

Morning Emma...

1901/1911 Census Free

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

The other info.is from Familysearch .org.

which also shows the info.from Pedigree Res.

I am suprised there is a gap of some 15 years without any children however there may well have been others and the children are not showing....It all depends on what Primary Source material your relative has used..if they have taken only the info.from the site mentioned above then it would show only 4 children..

Does it give an Church address for James J Baptism....?

Emma Louise

Emma Louise Report 27 Nov 2012 10:19

Yeah now you'v mentioned it it does sound strange having a 15 year gap as they usually start a family as soon as their married.

Thank you for those links.

The Baptism record just says "Parish of New Ross, Diocese of "Ferns" (not sure of the spelling) by the Rev N Roche.

Emma

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 27 Nov 2012 10:30

Hi Emma and Eringobragh,
Emma your contact says that your James was the son of Thomas Hayes and Catherine Finn.
According to rootsireland.ie this couple married in KILKENNY in 1875.
This site has only one birth showing for them, A child called Mary also born in 1875 in Kilkenny.

According to your info, James was born in 1889 in Wexford.
His DC on anc says he was born Sep 1888?
Does his baptism cert to confirn he was the son of Thomas Hayes AND Catherine Finn? Or does it give only a father's name?

Emma Louise

Emma Louise Report 27 Nov 2012 10:43

Hi Anne

Yes the baptism cert states both Thomas and Catherines names and also James Hayes marriage cert of Alice Bowen states his father was Thomas Hayes.

Sorry what does DC stand for?

James J Hayes married in Swansea in 1912 so I have tried looking for passenger lists from Ireland to Wales between 1903-1905 as my grandmother said he came over when he was 14-16 but unable to find any at present.

Thanks

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 27 Nov 2012 11:00

Hi Emma,
DC means death certificate

Unfortunately, there will be no passenger lists. Ireland was part of the UK at this time .
I could not find him on any 1911 census in Wales.

I am trying to determine if the 1889 baptism is for the SAME man who married Alice Bowen.

Assuming this mother's name is on the baptism, then it does suggest that Thomas and Catherine married in Kilkenny in 1875 and moved to New Ross.

Potty

Potty Report 27 Nov 2012 11:09

There are James Hayes births registered in New Ross in both 1888 and 1889:

Name: James Hayes
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1888
Registration district: New Ross
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 4
Page: 638

Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958
about James Hayes
Name: James Hayes
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1889
Registration district: New Ross
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 4
Page: 629

What was his second name?

Emma Louise

Emma Louise Report 27 Nov 2012 11:11

Oh yes I see now it does say birth Sept 1888.

He is living in Neath,Wales on the 1911 census which I have a copy of.

Yes you could be right about the baptism cert as both 1911census and his marriage cert in 1912 states he's 20 which doesn't correspond with the baptism cert.

Many Thanks for your help :-)

Emma Louise

Emma Louise Report 27 Nov 2012 11:12

Hi Potty

His second name was Joseph.

Emma

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 27 Nov 2012 11:16

Emma....Who were the witnessess on the MC...
Have you tried to locate any other Hayes in the area on the 1911 Census?
Its not beyond realms posibilities that there were other family members around....

Emma Louise

Emma Louise Report 27 Nov 2012 11:31

Hi Eringobragh1916

The witnesses of James Hayes and Alice Bowen MC were a Pearson and Kenny so I don't think they were any relation and also James Hayes came over from Ireland on his own according to my grandmother to work.

It has thrown me a bit why she would have this baptism cert if it wasn't for the same James Hayes.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 27 Nov 2012 11:59

Emma,
Am I misunderstanding?
Who had the baptism cert? Do you mean your grandmother?

If your grandmother had his baptismal cert, then I doubt that he was anyone else.

If they had an RC marriage, I think James may have been required to produce this at the time.