Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 Census Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson*

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson* Report 18 Dec 2012 00:14

For this fella:

1911 England Census

1911 England & Wales Census Collection

View Image
NAME:
Marley Brown
SPOUSE:
Ellen Brown
BIRTH:
abt 1884 - Nottinghamshire, England
RESIDENCE:
date - city, Nottinghamshire, England

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Dec 2012 00:28

Name: Marley Brown
Age in 1911: 27
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Relation to Head: Lodger
Birth Place: Nottinghamshire, England
Civil parish: Nottingham
County/Island: Nottinghamshire
Street Address: 12 Shipstone Street
Marital Status: Married
Registration district: Nottingham
Registration District Number: 430
Sub-registration district: Nottingham North West
ED, institution, or vessel: 12
Piece: 20604
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Gee 74
Ellen Gee 66
Alice Gee 49
Marley Brown 27
Ellen Brown 29 born nottingham
Lesley Brown 4
John Brown 1
Cyril Brown 3/12
Kellam Harlam 18

Married 7 years. 6 children and 3 still alive

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson* Report 18 Dec 2012 00:36

Thank you!

Lynski

Lynski Report 18 Dec 2012 00:38

No wonder I couldn't find it on FMP!!

GEE, Joseph Head Married M 74 1837 Maltsters Labourer Leicestershire VIEW
GEE, Ellen Wife Married48 years F 66 1845 Nottingham VIEW
GEE, Alice Daughter Single F 40 1871 Mechineest Hosiery Nottingham VIEW
GEE, Morley Lodger Married M 27 1884 Shunter G S R Nottingham VIEW
GEE, Ellen Wife Lodger Married7 years F 29 1882 Nottingham VIEW
GEE, Lesley Son L-Odger M 4 1907 Nottingham VIEW
GEE, John Son Lodger M 1 1910 Nottingham VIEW
GEE, Cyril Son Lodger M 0 (3 MONTHS) 1911 Nottingham VIEW
HASLAM, William Nephew Single M 18 1893 Trimer Labourer Nottingham VIEW
RG number: RG14
Piece: 20604
Reference: RG14PN20604 RG78PN1231 RD430 SD4 ED12 SN120
Registration District: Nottingham
Sub District: Nottingham North West
Enumeration District: 12
Parish: Nottingham
Address: 12 Shipstone St Nottingham
County: Nottinghamshire

I will request change to be made

Derek

Derek Report 18 Dec 2012 17:35

Hi Joy........just a bit of fun from Basford..have just come home on the fabled Nottingham Tram............via Shipstone Street !!.....not much of it left.....odd numbers end at 15....even numbers at 8..............The tramstop now exactly covers the spot where number 12 used to be!!

Derek.

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson* Report 18 Dec 2012 18:03

I haven't paid a visit to Basford yet, Derek, even though I'm only a couple of miles away. Myself I find it quite ironic that Morley is living on a street bearing the maiden surname of his mother.

If only I could find out what happened to 2 of her sisters, I'd be :-D. Can't find anything for Sarah Maria Shipstone born c1855 Basford (switches her fist and middle names around in the Census collection) and Jenveny Shipstone born 1865 Basford. Both the daughters of one Esau Shipstone/Eliza Richards and both doing my box in!!!! :-|

Derek

Derek Report 18 Dec 2012 19:21

I'll have a look.......being only as couple of miles (or so.!) from Ilson..I bet only us locals know where that is!! ;-)

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson* Report 18 Dec 2012 19:37

Thanks Derek. I was born in Ilson but don't live their any more, am now in Nottinghamshire. The Shipstones are part of hubby's ancestry and there was a family story they were part of the brewery firm. Some aren't that happy that I've proved that they're not.

Derek

Derek Report 18 Dec 2012 22:46

Hi Joy..we might be getting somewhere.as you know, i have my own specific Derbyshire thread........but since I live in Basford..I have done a lot of other work on Basford and Bulwell.........so i have a lot of records for those......

Thing is, how much do you know about the earlier Shipstones..I see to have got it more or less sorted.......with the caveat that there are two Esau Shipstones 1803 and 1811......the first a brother of Thomas 1791..children of george and Elizabeth.....one Esau married Jane Thraves 29.08.1822 (George 1826 is their son)..and Esau 1824 has got to be his brother?

I have found Sarah maria on 1861 and and Maria (Sarah) and jenny on the 1871................trick is that at some point the "E" disppeared from Shipstone..and the 1861 and 1871 are for SHIPSTON........as are all the parish records ofrthe births of all the children..Hannah John S Esua Samuel Eliza........all Shipston..all with the parents Esua and Eliza.......

So what happened to Sarah???...did she, for instance marry CHARLES SMITH JFM 1880..or. more unlikely JASON HOWARTH JOYCE JAG 1895....

That's as far as I've got..but you know me..once i get my teeth into something..i don't let go.............watch this space!!!

Derek.

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson* Report 18 Dec 2012 23:04

Don't know much about the Shipstones and neither does hubby or anyone else in the family.

From Census and baptism records it appears Esau Shipstone was the son of John Shipstone (a Bleacher) and Hannah Sissons. Think he had a brother, Thomas born c1809 who married an Anna Morley in Basford in 1831. Have tracked them down to HULL and at least one of the children has the middle name Morley, a trend that appears to continue on down the lines. I no longer have a sub at Ancestry so can't trace their children much beyond 1881 Census.

John S Shipstone is hubby's 2xGreat-Grandfather via his son William Lon Shipstone and his daughter Hettie.

Keeping my fingers crossed and watching this space in the hope this mystery can be cracked before I go completely ga-ga!!

Derek

Derek Report 20 Dec 2012 17:36

Joy..just let me know the birth year of JOHN S SHIPSTONE..your hubby's ancestor. I have JOHN J 1853..son of Esua and Eliza...and JOHN S 1878 son of Thomas and Annie...................
.....second.....ESAU son of John and Hannah was baptised ESAU HEWITT SHIPSTONE 06.01.1811.......whereas there is EVAN HEWITT SHIPSTONE 31.12.1820.............and I believe we are looking for Esau Shipstone c 1824 who married Eliza.......
I'm in the process of sorting the whole picture..and just need your thoughts on these two issues..and who did your John S marry/

Derek

Joy *The Carlos Cutie of Ilson* Report 20 Dec 2012 18:20

Ellen Hole born c1857 in Barnstaple. Marriage took place 1876 in Nottingham. If I remember right, John uses 'Sam/Samuel' as his first name in a couple of Censuses but uses his actual name on William Lon Shipstone's birth certificate.