Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Claude Jackson/ Janet R Black

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

william

william Report 19 Dec 2012 20:04

Hi, I have marriage of Claude Jackson to Janet R Black Westminster Dec 1933, Would anyone know what the R stands for in Janets middle name. Would be much appriciated .
Regards William

Gee

Gee Report 19 Dec 2012 20:11

How old were they and what are the fathers name please?

Also, was she a widow/spinster

william

william Report 19 Dec 2012 21:17

Hi Gins Janet would have been 24 , Her parents were Richard / Agnes, Sorry i dont have any info on Claude .

Cheers William

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 19 Dec 2012 21:19

was Janet married before?

Marriages Dec 1933
Atkins Janet R Jackson Westminster 1a 1262
Black Janet R Jackson Westminster 1a 1262
Jackson Claude Atkins Westminster 1a 1262
Jackson Claude Black Westminster 1a 1262

Tracey
:-D

william

william Report 19 Dec 2012 21:32

Hi Tracey, Thanks for replying, I dont think she was married before, Giving that she was 24 i would think that was 1st time married.

Billy

Gee

Gee Report 19 Dec 2012 21:36

Have you tried Scotlands People for a bith of Janet?

Gee

Gee Report 19 Dec 2012 21:36

T~~~~~

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 19 Dec 2012 21:43

G ~~~

William,

Janet used 2 different surnames on her marriage record.... this is usually due to a previous remarriage.....

There is also other options.... Janet either lived with someone and was commonly known by the surname Atkins.... or her mother remarried an Atkins and Janet used the name (again became commonly known as Atkins)

Either way, Janet has been commonly known bu the name Atkins also!

Tracey

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Dec 2012 21:59

Do you have the marriage certificate?

What exactly does it say?
What was her father's occupation?
What were their addresses at the time of marriage?
What was his age, occupation and father's name and occupation?

If you don't have it, then I would suggest the first thing to do would be to buy a copy!

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 19 Dec 2012 21:59

William,

I also cannot find a marriage for Richard Black & Agnes....

What other proof/data do you have?

Tracey

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Dec 2012 22:21

Have had a general search on scotlands people and there is a birth for a Janet R. Black in 1909, but don't have any credits to have a look.

EDIT:-

There is also a marriage for a Richard Black to an Agnes ? in 1903

william

william Report 19 Dec 2012 22:22

Thanks again everone, Yes i have janets birth details , Janet Rutherford Black born July 14th 1909 Townhill Fife , Her parents Richard & Agnes married in Townhill 1903,Only other info i have on Janet, Elect Roll 1933 Cricklewood Living with Stanley Donovan Adam & his wife Beatrice , I think she might have been working for him as im let to believe he was a doctor.

Billy

william

william Report 19 Dec 2012 22:25

Forgot to add Janets parents never divorced .

Billy

Catherine

Catherine Report 19 Dec 2012 22:28

Sorry William but I don't understand.
You're initial request was to find out what the R stood for in Janet's name and you are now saying that her name was Janet Rutherford Black?

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 19 Dec 2012 22:30

William

I'm confused?? You asked in you OP what the R stands for in Janet's name.... and then in your last post you tell us it's Rutherford..... if you knew this why did you not tell us??

I assume you want to know where the name Rutherford comes from?

You will have to get yourself some credits on Scotland's People and take a look to see if it's a name familiar in Agnes's line? Was Agnes a Rutherford??

Tracey

william

william Report 19 Dec 2012 23:08

Sorry about the way i worded it , I should have been more clearer, The reason being i could only find 2 marriages for Janet Black one to Thomas Hume and the other to Claude Jackson which showed R in middle name , Without really thinking i asked in my OP what the R stood for hoping i might get Rutherford to confirm my thoughts ,I have taken this search as far as i can on Scotlands People as family all moved to Willesden in London in the late 1920's

Billy

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 20 Dec 2012 12:52

????

Name: Janet Rutherford Coles
Birth Date: 1909
Date of Registration: Oct 1984
Age at Death: 75
Registration district: Brent
Inferred County: Middlesex
Volume: 11
Page: 529

Have you eliminated the lady above please?

It may be that she didn't use her middle name when she married?

william

william Report 20 Dec 2012 13:37

I think we can now eliminate Hume & Jackson and go with Coles as birth year and middle name matches, Much appriciated.

Billy

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 20 Dec 2012 14:52

William,

Can i just say, you cannot simply just 'go with something' just because details *might* fit.

You would need to order certificates to prove the information found for you.

Tracey

william

william Report 20 Dec 2012 15:37

I understand that Tracey , What i meant was will order cert for Janet Coles first, As she would appear to be best match , As you say cant take anything for certain till you have real proof.

Billy