Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Henry Leach

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 28 Dec 2012 22:37

I will be visiting the UK in February and would like to find the buriel place of Joseph Henry Leach. Does anyone know how I can find where he is buried. He died in Birkenhead, Cheshire, in 1920 - ref. Jun qtr, 8A/640.

Thanks.
Yvonne

patchem

patchem Report 28 Dec 2012 22:48

Have you applied for the death certificate to see where and exactly when he died?
Do you know his religion?
You can then look for local cemeteries, and archives of local paper for death or funeral announcements.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 28 Dec 2012 22:49

Try the local library - they will point you in the right direction if they can't help.

Birkenhead Reference Library, Borough Road, Birkenhead, CH41 2XB. Tel: 0151 606 2665.
Email: [email protected]

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 28 Dec 2012 22:53

Thanks. I have applied for the death certificate but it hasn't arrived yet. I don't know his religion but I'm pretty sure it wasn't catholic. The Reference Library sounds like a good place to start ... didn't think of that one.

Thanks again.
Yvonne

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 28 Dec 2012 23:29

Yvonne You should have kept this on your other thread about Martha Ireland who married him.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 28 Dec 2012 23:33

My other thread was to do with Martha Ireland, this thread is about Joseph Henry Leach who was married to someone else at the time of his death. I thought it was better to do a separate thread.

Yvonne

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 1 Jan 2013 21:19

I am still awaiting the death certificate of Joseph Henry Leach but in the meantime I have a different query about him. There is a certificate on UK & Ireland Masters & Mates Certificates, 1850-1927, showing him born on 17 Mar 1832. In a search on lan-opc there is a baptism for Joseph Leach which says he was born 17 Mar 1831. Any suggestions how I can find which is the correct year?

Thanks
Yvonne

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 1 Jan 2013 22:23

From www.freereg.org.uk

County Lancashire
Place Bury
Church St Mary
RegisterNumber 170
DateOfBirth 17 Mar 1831
BaptismDate 29 May 1831
Forename Joseph
Sex M
FatherForename Robert
MotherForename Mary
FatherSurname LEACH
MotherSurname
Abode Gorton
FatherOccupation Servant
Notes
FileNumber 11266

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 1 Jan 2013 22:28

Thanks Beverley. That's the same baptism details as the one I found on lan-opc, so does that mean that the date on the Mates Certificate is wrong I wonder.

Yvonne

Alemap

Alemap Report 1 Jan 2013 22:36

Familysearch have the parish register entry.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159376-744455-76?cc=1788853&wc=MMGS-HQ2:n65415988

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 1 Jan 2013 22:47

Thanks Pam. It certainly looks as if the Mates Certificate is wrong - I think it would be too much of a coincidence to have two Joseph Leach born on the same day in two different years, so I think his correct date of birth is 1831.

Thanks
Yvonne

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Jan 2013 23:37

The local index at http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ is a bit more specific - it says the death was rego'ed in the Wallasey subdistrict of Birkenhead RD. You can see what was in that subdistrict at:
http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/subdists.php

Cheshire Death indexes for the years: 1920
Surname Forename(s) Age Sub-District Registers At Reference
LEACH Joseph 90 Wallasey Wirral WAL/75/32

You might check out:
https://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/community-and-living/deaths-cemeteries-and-crematoria/cemeteries
in particular, Wallasey cemetery.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 2 Jan 2013 07:25

You can check his father's name from his marriage certificate.

Gee

Gee Report 2 Jan 2013 11:08

Liverpool, Lancashire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921
about Joseph Henry Leach <<<Mariner
Name: Joseph Henry Leach
Marriage Date: 8 May 1854
Parish: Liverpool St Nicholas
Spouse's Name: Martha Ireland
Father's Name: Robert Leach <<<vitular
Spouse Father's Name: Isaac Ireland <<Ropemaker

Wit: John & Ellen Ireland

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 2 Jan 2013 11:20

Still connected to your other thread with a lot of info on it.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1316481?page=1

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 2 Jan 2013 11:34

The mates cert does not give his day or month of birth only 1832. Some people did'nt class their age as 1 year old until they had had a birthday.

Have you seen the mates cert?

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 2 Jan 2013 13:48

Thanks. Yes, I have seen the Mate's Certificate and the papers with it. One of them is an Application to be Examined and this is the one that gives the actual day and month.

Thanks for all the info.

Yvonne

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 2 Jan 2013 19:10

Yvonne I had'nt gone backwards ad now see the birth date on his papers. Sorry.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 2 Jan 2013 20:01

That's okay, there's nothing on the site that tells you to go backwards - it was just my nosey nature that made me do it. Glad I did though.

Yvonne

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 12 Jan 2013 22:33

I have now received the death certificate for Joseph Henry Leach which confirms he died in Birkenhead. I have contacted the Reference Library in Birkenhead and they will do a 30 min search for the buriel place free of charge, after that there's a fee. Thanks for all your help.

Yvonne