Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sheffield - WHITE

Page 0 + 1 of 8

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gavin

Gavin Report 30 Dec 2012 17:13

Hi

I have exhausted all informnation on a previous thread so am looking for some further help;

I am trying to find a certificate for George Henry White. Something that could confirm his identity. Sheffield registry office have nothing for me.

The following information is the start point, I believe this man (George Henry White)to be my Great Grandfather;

1911 Census - lived at 134 Station Road, Wallsend, Tyne & Wear (aged 39) Census info below;
George Henry White 39 b Sheffield
Charles William White 5 b Islington London
Violetta Harriet White 36 b St Pancras London (married 17 years, 1 child)

Charles William White was the first of 4 sons they had, he was born 25/11/1905
George Henry White was born in Wallsend on 26/08/1912
James Frederick White (my grandfather) was born in Wallsend on 22/02/1915
Albert White was born in Wallsend on 01/04/1919

The problem I have is that 2 of the brothers name their father as George Henry White on their subsequent marriage certificates, whilst the other 2 brothers name their father as George William White on their marriage certificates.

When the pressumed George Henry White married Violetta Harriet Horne in the Parish Church of St Pancras on 10/03/1895 he named his father as Henry John White (Deceased) and indeed signed his name on the marriage certificate as George Henry White.

I need to find a confirmed link to George Henry White and his father named as Henry John White.

It may be possible that George was born as George William White (which is the name mentioned on 2 of my ancestors marriage certificates) and took his fathers name as a mark of respect, making him George Henry White.... as I mentioned his father Henry John White is noted as deceased when George married in 1895.

It is proving an impossible task and I really need some help to confirm the right line here. Sheffield Registry office have nothing on any of the names I have mentioned and I am not sure how to look into parish records.

PLEASE HELP

Thank you

Gavin

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Dec 2012 17:43

For ref.

Name: Violetta Harriet Horne
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1875
Spouse Name: George Henry White
Spouse Age: 22
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 10 Mar 1895
Parish: St Pancras Parish Chapel
Borough: Camden
Father Name: Thomas William Horne
Spouse Father Name: Henry John White
Register Type: Parish Register

Witnesses: James White and Harriett Horne.

Gee

Gee Report 30 Dec 2012 17:47

Births Mar 1872 (>99%)
------------------------------------------------------------
White George Henry Sheffield 9c 384

Births Dec 1872 (>99%)
-------------------------------------------------------
WHITE George Henry Sheffield 9c 372

Births Sep 1874 (>99%)
----------------------------------------------
WHITE George Henry Ecclesall B. 9c 338

Have you got his birth cert Gavin?

Dea

Dea Report 30 Dec 2012 17:55

Lots of info on here:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1288735

You have at least 3 other threads also ?

Best to keep to just one thread, or at least post a link to the others Gavin,

Dea Xxx

Flip

Flip Report 30 Dec 2012 18:16

How sure are you that all 4 children belong to the same marriage. There is another marriage between White & Horne:

George William White
Birth Year: abt 1867
Marriage or Bann Date: 1 Jul 1901
Parish: Denby, St John the Evangelist
Father's Name: Charles White
Spouse's Name: Janet Horne
Spouse's Father's Name: George Horne

Sorry, I should have added this is from West Yorkshire records

Gavin

Gavin Report 30 Dec 2012 18:16

Dea, how do I delete my old threads? Cant find it on the help page.

Mel... a possibility but not one I have any evidence of. Most of my family have only one middle name, others have none.

Gins, no, i went to Sheffield registry office and said I would pay for any linked to Henry John... but after they checked they couldnt link any and there were a few George Henry Whites and a few George William Whites. Apparently back then they didnt annotate the mother or fathers names... so the cert wouldnt prove anything really.

Rootgatherer, thank you. I have the Horne line sorted. Appreciated though.

Dea

Dea Report 30 Dec 2012 18:19

Gavin - NEVER delete your old threads !!! - The information on there is invaluable to us and probably to you too if you want to delve further into your family.

It saves us all having to waste time finding all the info which has already been found and so makes it quicker for us to work forward for you.

Dea xxx

Gavin

Gavin Report 30 Dec 2012 18:20

Flip, never been any question of the brothers not being brothers. As a child I knew my grandfather and his brother George and have family photos with Albert and Charles included, along with living relatives.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Dec 2012 18:20

Gavin. please DO NOT delete the other threads.

Dea was asking you to put a link to them to enable us to read what has already been found so we don't look for it again!

Gavin

Gavin Report 30 Dec 2012 18:23

Dea and everyone else, I apologise for the multiple threads.
Not familiar with how this works properly... I thought it was easier to narrow the search with a new thread... sorry.

Dea

Dea Report 30 Dec 2012 18:29

No probs - we all have to learn but please do not delete any threads - all the info on them has been painstakingly found and it will save others from duplicating the research if we can have access to it !

Always try to keep to one thread on the same close family members.

If you have by accident, or inexperience ( <3) started a new one - just please post a link to the original.

Dea xxx

Gee

Gee Report 30 Dec 2012 18:38

Gavin

Have a look through these records. Best put the surname only when you search as the site does have problems searching 'full' names

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

Dea

Dea Report 30 Dec 2012 18:39

Thanks for coming in Ginns. ;-)

Dea Xxx

Gavin

Gavin Report 30 Dec 2012 18:39

Dea

The link you added shows a reply from Ivy where she start the theory of George Henry White being taken in by his uncle Thomas in Hull..... thats where the possibility of the name change comes from, he may have been born Geaorge William and taken Henry following his fathers death....
Or he may just have been born Gearge Henry......
But then why would 2 of his sons refer to him as George William on their marriage certs? Whilst another 2 refer to him as George Henry?

This is a nightmare with no evidence either way

Gavin

Gavin Report 30 Dec 2012 18:42

Gins, you were a contributor to my original thread almost a year ago... thank you.
It was you that led me to go directly to the registry office in Sheffield.
But as you can see I am still stuck with this one...
I may need prefessional help, like on the tv where someone does all the leg work.. ha ha

Dea

Dea Report 30 Dec 2012 18:42

Have to go off just now Gavin but I will come back to it in the morning - in the meanwhile, Ginns and the others will help.................

You will get there !!!

Dea Xxx

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Dec 2012 18:49

It is always possible that his birth wasn't registered as, I believe, there was no penalty for not registering a birth in England prior to the mid 1870s.

Gavin

Gavin Report 30 Dec 2012 19:00

rootgatherer, that is what the registry office suggested too.

So I am also keen to see if there is anyting from a generation back to link forward...
Henry John having George Henry..... anything with evidence.

I am not sure how this all works, hence I am throwing as much as I can to all of you lovely people in the hope someone has something concrete.

It is my paternal line you see... my family name and at present I cant get beyond my grandfather with any certainty of real name.
All these find my past and who do you think you are programmes seem to go way back....

Flip

Flip Report 30 Dec 2012 19:04

Do you know when your great grandfather died - I see Violetta died in Durham in 1955, but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a probate record to see if she was already a widow.

Gee

Gee Report 30 Dec 2012 19:09

Gavin

Have you gone to the records office on John St, Sheffield, or the register office?

You need to consider those births that I posted. Depends 'where' in Sheffield he was born, do you know?