Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John William Taylor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 31 Dec 2012 09:54

I seem to get nowhere with war records so would appreciate any help.
Trying to find records for my grandfather John William Taylor, born 26 August 1895, Fledborogh Nottinghamshire. Fought in WWI and lost an arm so assume invalided out of the army. No information of regiment etc. but sure would only have been a private. Family story is that he was only "there for two weeks" although no idea what this two weeks refers to.
If anyone can help it would be appreciated

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Dec 2012 09:57

As 70% of WW1 records were destroyed during an enemy bombing raid in WW2, it's no surprise that you can't find anything.

Most of us can't find records for relatives who served in WW1.......myself included.

You haven't said which site you are using for your search............

Flip

Flip Report 31 Dec 2012 10:02

Did he marry Beatrice? If so there is a record which gives her as NOK and he was invalided out. If it's him there are only 3 images I can download and send by PM.

Forget this one, he was discharged due to epilesy.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 31 Dec 2012 12:45

John William Taylor
England and Wales Census, 1911
birth: Fledbro,? Nottinghamshire
census: 1911 Marnham,? Shegby Marnham Newark,? Nottinghamshire,? England

name: John William Taylor
event: Census
event date: 1911
birthplace: Fledbro, Nottinghamshire
record type: Household
registration district: East Retford
sub-district: Tuxford
parish: Marnham
county: Nottinghamshire

Ian

Ian Report 1 Jan 2013 17:42

Thank you for the replies. Was not aware of WWI records being lost so that might explain something.
AnnCardiff - those are the details of my grandfather which i have. I knew him for about my first, his last ten years but his war exploits were never mentioned not even how or where he lost his arm. Like most veterans they do not want to revisit a terrible part of their lives.
Unfortunately have no contact with this side of the family so have no other source.

Flip

Flip Report 1 Jan 2013 18:22

Your grandfather's secrecy about his war experiences are not unusual. There have been many requests on here for information as those who fought were reluctant to talk about what they went through. It's such a shame the records were destroyed, but in most cases they don't give that much information anyway.

I was lucky when researching one of my uncles, he had kept a diary of the entire service in the war/trenches, which had been deposited & displayed at the War museum - he wasn't particularly a hero or anything, but was articulate enought for them to preserve the memories. But the other 2 uncles records have disappeared.