Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Arthur J Taylor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Timothy

Timothy Report 4 Jan 2013 16:05

Hi, I hope somebody will be able to help or guide me, please. I have only been a member for a couple of days, and have become stuck searching for a member of my family. My mother was brought up by her mother and elder brother (14 years older than my mum) and never had a father, assuming he had died before she was born. A year before my uncle died, he told her that they did not share the same father, but would not divulge much. Mums birth cerificate does not name a father so we are assuming that my uncle was correct. I am trying to ascertain whether my uncles father died before my mother was conceived, but cannot find any records for his birth or death. I have upgraded for military records and cannot find anything there as I do not have much to go on. Elsie Muriel Taylor and Arthur J Taylor were married in Winchester in 1914, but my uncles were born in Paddington London.

I don't know where to look now. I would like to try and solve a family mystery.

Thank you in advance of any help

Muriel Bond

Dea

Dea Report 4 Jan 2013 16:15

This looks like the marriage - slight problem with his middle initial ??

Marriages Dec 1914 (>99%)

Taylor Arthur L White Winchester 2c 288
White Elsie M Taylor Winchester 2c 288

Dea Xxx

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 4 Jan 2013 16:15

Firstly to add another name for record searching accuracy:

Marriages Dec 1914
Taylor Arthur L White Winchester 2c 288
White Elsie M Taylor Winchester 2c 288

Timothy

Timothy Report 4 Jan 2013 17:17

Hi

Thanks all for your responses, Elsie Muriel Taylor Census 1911 born 1893. I know her birthday was 19th December. Born Christchurch, but when married family lived in Paddington. Her father Enoch White. Which is why weird both married at Winchester. I know army barracks near there so maybe that is a clue - maybe Arthur had just signed up for the first world war, although I know Elsies children all males were born 1915 (twins ArthuR & Reginald ) and Maurice John Taylor 1918 killed in action 1953 in Emergency wars. Maybe Arthur came from Winchester area. Maybe the Initial is wrong as I only looked at the transcript. I will try seraching for Arthur L Taylor.

Thank you all

Timothy

Timothy Report 4 Jan 2013 17:24

PS I will get the marriage certificate! again, thanks all for your help

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 4 Jan 2013 17:26

As suggested, you do need to get the marriage certificate to have proper facts to work from. With a surname like Taylor it would be all too easy to follow the wrong path.

Order a copy of that cert from GRO, will cost you £9.25
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Timothy

Timothy Report 4 Jan 2013 21:08

Hi Just found out that my sister had got a copy of the marriage certificate that I didn't know about! He was born on 6/07/1889. lived at 1 Hatton Place, Marylebone. His parents were George Alfred Taylor and Louisa Ellen Taylor. I have found him in the 1891 census and the 1901 census although the latter was more difficult as the age had been transposed wrong (11 had been crossed out by somebody and it had been transposed across as aged 4) I suppose being new to this, this is something I will need to look for.(I just looked for his mother) when I couldnt find him. Arthurs' occupation when married was a private in the 2nd middlesex regiment based at Hornsley or Hormsley Park.(This may be why they married at Winchester near the army training base?) I will now try and search for his death certificate.

Thanks for you help

Muriel x :-)

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 5 Jan 2013 16:39

Looks like Arthur's middle name was 'Leonard' as per Baptism

Name: Arthur Leonard Taylor
Record Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 12 May 1890
Father's Name: George Alfred Taylor occ Painter
Mother's Name: Louisa Ellen Taylor
Parish or Poor Law Union: Paddington St Saviour
Borough: Westminster
Register Type: Parish Registers

Looks like a 'job lot' baptism as their were other siblings baptized on same day (birth dates not given) as follows

Alice Maud Mary
Amy Louisa
Frederick George
Elizabeth Harriet
and
William Alfred

Timothy

Timothy Report 5 Jan 2013 19:20

Thanks, Londonbelle for info. The only info I now have mssing for Arthur L Taylor is his date of death. I am at present looking at military records as I can'[t find anything anywhere else at a later date.

Thanks again

Muriel
x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Jan 2013 19:55

Muriel, do you have the 1911?

1911 census transcription details for:
Guadaloupe Middlesex Regiment, GUADALOUPE
Military details: Private 2nd Bn Middlesex Regt

National Archive Reference: RG14PN6234 RD108 SD2 ED15 SN9999
Reg. District: Alton
Sub District: Binsted
Parish: Headley
Enum. District: 15
Address: Bordon
County: Hampshire

Name Relation Condition/Yrs married Sex Age Birth Year Occupation Where Born
TAYLOR, Arthur Leonard Single ? 21 1890 Paddington London MX

Timothy

Timothy Report 7 Jan 2013 21:11

Hi MarieCeleste. I do have the 1911 census, but not sure which way to go with this now as I am quite a newbie to this. I am confused, but thanks for your help anyway. I suppose, I really need his army number.

Thanks

Muriel