Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts


ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


greyghost Report 7 Jan 2013 12:27

How do you know the marriage and child are connected?

Would access to Parish Records reveal anything?


Janet Report 7 Jan 2013 12:11

Just thinking outside the box.
1Could the father and mother have been married.
2 The child born .
3The mother died .
4The father remarried .


Jonesey Report 6 Jan 2013 21:50

Now I understand the "Way too early" statement..


MarysRoots Report 6 Jan 2013 21:45

The marriage is 1778 so I cannot get cert and I'm at a loss to know how to check it

Thank you

Mary :-(


Jonesey Report 6 Jan 2013 21:39

Not sure what you mean by "Way too early for certificate".

You obviously and quite correctly do not want your tree to contain inaccurate information so before adding anything to your tree proof must first be obtained. I would suggest that if it is important enough for you to have these people in your tree then you must be prepared to spend some money to obtain the proof needed. If you only know the mothers first name how can you be sure that you have the correct birth registration for the child. The child's birth registration if after 1911 shows its mother's maiden name.


MarysRoots Report 6 Jan 2013 21:34

Its way to early for certificate, I wondered if there is any other way I can check details before adding info I have to my tree I don't want to add marriage if it's the wrong one and I only know christian name for wife

Thank you



Jonesey Report 6 Jan 2013 21:29

Under usual circumstances a child born before its parents married should be registered under its mothers surname but people do not always tell the truth when registering a birth. If the father was present at the birth registration and agreed that he was the child;s father then the birth would also be registered under his surname as well as being registered under the mothers surname. Both would be given the same reference number. I.E. only one registration but under both surnames.

The only way to be sure that you have found the correct marriage is to purchase a copy of the certificate which hopefully will show sufficient details of the couples addresses and fathers to enable you to reach a conclusion.


GlitterBaby Report 6 Jan 2013 21:25

Not always

My grandmother was born before her parents married


MarysRoots Report 6 Jan 2013 21:23

Is there anyway I can check a marriage?? I have found a marriage but it is after the birth of the first child, If this is the correct marriage would the child not be in mothers maiden name